Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 04:35 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,457,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
Hopefully Labour will become a more cenerrist party going forward to be a proper opposition option in the future.

Brexit still isn't done though and won't be for a very long time.

Boris's lies will come back and haunt him for sure.
Ah, we'll see what ever comes down the line. What matters is we are leaving the EU, and they know it.

Hopefully, Labour will recover in time, once all the nut cases are thrown out of the party. It was always going to end in tears with Corbyn as leader.

I can go to bed now, and relax, and sleep. I was worried all the freebies Labour were offering, could end with another hung Parliament. At least now, Boris will have the majority he needs to do anything he likes. This includes ignoring the right wing loons in the Tory party.

The world is his lobster........

Nighty night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 04:37 PM

2,264 posts, read 979,349 times
Quote:
The pound surged against the dollar after the exit poll figures were announced, with sterling gaining 3% to $1.35 - its highest level since May last year. The pound also jumped to a three-and-a-half-year high against the euro.
That can't be right. Brexit is supposed to be the beginning of the end.

Old 12-12-2019, 04:38 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,457,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
The United Kingdom of England and Wales comes closer and closer to becoming a reality!
Nah, those folks in Scotland and Northern Ireland, are too dependent on the English teat. No vote for Nicola anyways. At least for a few years. I hope to see less of her miserable face on our telly's now.

She needs to get on with running Scotland, and forget her day dreams.

Old 12-12-2019, 04:39 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,329,570 times
Blyth Valley, a Labour stronghold since its establishment in 1950, swings to the Tories with a 712 majority.

Looks like we're in for a historic election night.

Quote:
Conservative: 17440
Labour: 16728
Brexit Party: 3394
Lib Dems: 2151
Green: 1146
General election 2019 live | Telegraph

Old 12-12-2019, 05:23 PM

6,066 posts, read 6,021,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
Blyth Valley, a Labour stronghold since its establishment in 1950, swings to the Tories with a 712 majority.

Looks like we're in for a historic election night.

General election 2019 live | Telegraph
Grim time for Labour. I do wonder if a little down the road areas like Blyth Valley will continue to be as enthusiastic for The Tories and the 'complications' around Brexit become all too obvious, but worse little will be done to alleviate the dire conditions around falling life quality in deprived areas.

Giving any party a thumping majority is never good for democracy.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
I think in passing the troubadour you a little naive regarding Labour and if the polls work out right it will be Labour's worst result since before WW2? Elsewhere mention oby English Dve commenting on the years of austerity by the Conservatives is basically correct. However at the same time they did make improvements in taxa levels for the less well off and also had to make up for the years of Labour's far from great period in power. Corbyn and that Momentum lot were a proving disaster for the Labour corner> Corbyn trying to bring back stuff from the 1970's as his bandwagon was disaster and that Marxist O'Donnell with him have emphasised all that stuff they came out with was a nonsense and a danger to this country and it's future.
Not naïve to hope for change for a better country and never said they would win but we can hope. If the working class consider Boris their best hope, well so be it. They live with the consequences, to which many middle class people attempted to divert.
You don't really get the 1970's do you? Probably due to the fact you were not there and it is perceived as something to beat up Labour for the foreseeable future.

Just how Britain exits, remains to be seen. Like Boris as leader. Will he reign in his forked tongue now in a position of authority ? Or will it remain about Boris and right wing popularism continue to hold sway?

Old 12-12-2019, 05:34 PM

1,877 posts, read 681,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
The United Kingdom of England and Wales comes closer and closer to becoming a reality!
I fear you are correct, Scotland will not put up with this, and I don't blame them, much as I would prefer for my country to stay united, Scottish independence and a break up of the UK now seems inevitable, with Irish unification also taking place over the longer term.

It's a sad day for somebody who is a proud British person like myself.

So, the people seem to have voted for more child poverty, dismantling the NHS, sending remaining manufacturing industry out of the country, exploding homelessness, running local public services into the ground, increasing insecurity through rising crime, burning our bridges with friends across the channel, and turning a broad and inclusive United Kingdom into a narrow ethno-nationalist little England.

So be it, people get the government they deserve, its just a pity that others have to suffer too.

Those people who have chosen this can't say they weren't warned. They will be held responsible for the consequences of their choices, the blame for those consequences lies squarely at the feet of those who have voted for them. For the rest of us the country looks like a bleaker, colder, more narrow-minded and more inward looking place this morning.

Historians will look back in decades to come and see this as a decisive moment in the break up of my country, it's not the beginning of the end for the UK, the beginning started some time ago, but tonight the breakup has been accelerated.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
That can't be right. Brexit is supposed to be the beginning of the end.
As you rightly commented, it is but the beginning.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:40 PM

1,877 posts, read 681,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Grim time for Labour. I do wonder if a little down the road areas like Blyth Valley will continue to be as enthusiastic for The Tories and the 'complications' around Brexit become all too obvious, but worse little will be done to alleviate the dire conditions around falling life quality in deprived areas.

Giving any party a thumping majority is never good for democracy.
Areas like this voting in Tory MPs is almost literally turkeys voting for Christmas. These economically weak areas will be devastated by Tory economic policy. It seems their hatred of Brussels and foreigners is more important to them than even their own chances of prosperity and throwing their local town down the drain is a price worth paying.

Not that there are many foreign migrants in somewhere like Blyth, it has among the lowest proportions of foreign born people in the whole country, but even that handful of migrants seems too much for the local folk there to take.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:53 PM

2,264 posts, read 979,349 times
It seems to me Britons would rather reclaim their souls than sell them to Big Brussels for free stuff. That's no crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom