Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 03:27 PM

2,264 posts, read 980,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan's Alter Ego View Post
Holy Toledo Bubbas!!!

After a seven day "self imposed" exile I come back and find there are still peeps on this thread prattling on about promises party leaders made to respect the vote of the electorate*in the ref. and complaining they have not lived up to their promise.

40+ months in, and they still haven't figured out that the ref vote was advisory only, (otherwise why promise to uphold it?), that Parliament not the people is sovereign, that the party leaders don't control parliament.

It's not as if there isn't a history of politicians breaking promises....

Nine Slippery Brexit Pledges......Say it ain't so....

https://www.politico.eu/article/9-sl...rexit-pledges/

A kcufing break donnez moi!
Why bother voting then? There are better opiates to be had that don't require one to swallow lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 12:30 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,298,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff956 View Post
Nothing is worth tearing the country apart for, and certainly not Brexit.
BREXIT if not delivered is going to tear the country apart too. 17.5M people just lost confidence in the government, and the only thing keeping government in control is the peoples confidence (unless authoritarian means are imposed).

Labour and the Lib-Dems have agreed Sturgeon can have her referendum. Which is so ridiculous, her whole point of the referendum is that it's because 62% of Scots voted remain. The only parties with sufficient weight supporting remain are Labour and Lib-Dem, which means if Holyrood gets its referendum it's by parties not willing to leave the EU. Further the SNP MPs are strongly remain too, so they're going to block the rUK leaving the EU, but may end up leaving the UK, can anyone say conflict of interest?

Further 48% of Scots are leavers, so saying a vote for the SNP is a vote to gain independence to remain in Europe splits its vote. Strong leavers (who want out of Europe more than the UK) aren't going to vote for the SNP, just like in the North East, the leavers won't vote Labour or Lib-Dem, they may not vote Tory, but they may vote BXP or Independent.

Leave or remain, the outcome may be the same.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:32 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,461,365 times
Quote:
Yes Dave we probably agree on many things and it's true to say we have to deal with the people we're lumbered with. I'm not a great fan of Corbyn but I firmly believe he is a man of integrity. He takes shed loads of flack from all sides and often chooses to ignore it which I think is a mistake. There are times when you have to make yourself heard, otherwise people believe the flack. That's his mistake.
He also knows how to conduct himself, unlike the court jester the other side of the dispatch box but that doesn't count for much these days.
I couldn't vote for the Tories if my life depended on it. I detest them.
I understand that to you it's the route to Brexit, but I somehow doubt it will end well for anyone.
Sadly, even if Johnson wins and gets his deal through the 'end' won't even be in sight, and the rancour will continue as before. Nothing is worth tearing the country apart for, and certainly not Brexit.
Yes, even if Johnson's deal to leave the EU goes through, it's just the beginning. We will have to cough up many billions of pounds, just as 'settlement' to the EU. Only then, will trade talks begin. But, it will give us a transition period while trade talks go on.

We are wore down by this last three years. The British people are fed up of it. But, we have to get on with it as best we can. The number one priority is regaining control of our borders. We have to be able to decide who comes to live on our small island, and who doesn't. Right now,anyone from the EU can come here as they please. It has to stop.

Once we are back in control of immigration, we can start looking at building homes for the people here now. Housing is just a total mess, with landlords being able to charge any amount they please for rents. There is overcrowding in parts of the country, and abuse going on.

We have to give hope to the young. Not all have the bank of mum and dad to help them get on the housing ladder. A percentage of the population are doing just fine as things are. These are the ones marching through places like London demanding another Brexit vote.

I am more interested in those who are without hope, and feel no one in government, or opposition gives a damn for them. I want a government that puts the British people first. Not foreigners, and not so called refugees. It's not our job to house the world, or let them abuse our NHS.

It's time for real change.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:37 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,298,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan's Alter Ego View Post
Holy Toledo Bubbas!!!

After a seven day "self imposed" exile I come back and find there are still peeps on this thread prattling on about promises party leaders made to respect the vote of the electorate*in the ref. and complaining they have not lived up to their promise.

40+ months in, and they still haven't figured out that the ref vote was advisory only, (otherwise why promise to uphold it?), that Parliament not the people is sovereign, that the party leaders don't control parliament.

It's not as if there isn't a history of politicians breaking promises....

Nine Slippery Brexit Pledges......Say it ain't so....

https://www.politico.eu/article/9-sl...rexit-pledges/

A kcufing break donnez moi!
You seem like you think you're posting a revelation...

Here's the issue.

If you make a promise to deliver something I don't care if you have it, if you can get it, or even if it's in your power to obtain. You agreed to deliver, and I'm holding you accountable.

If Cameron/May/Johnson, Corbyn, Swinson never had the ability to deliver, then they're just as responsible for promising to deliver Brexit as if they always have had that ability.

So the technicalities are irrelevant to me holding them to account for their promise, indeed if the technicalities impose conditions impossible to meet, then they're proven bigger liars than I already think they are. They're actually liars and frauds, and there goes Geoff's Corbyns integrity.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:01 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,529,387 times
Boris will win the election with ease.
A good majority will see Brexit delivered in January.
Corbyn will be gone by summer, leaving front line politics to tend to his allotment.
The real interest will be with Labour - the hard left have taken control of virtually all sections of the party with moderates either ousted or too afraid to do anything.
I see the LibDems and a moderate rump of Labour supporters becoming the new opposition.
A Marxist Labour party just like an extreme right Tory party would never be elected in Britain.

Old 11-11-2019, 02:33 AM

Q3 GDP growth of 0.4%.
UK avoids technical recession.
Average annual growth of 1%.
Not great but Germany would kill for these figures right now.

Old 11-11-2019, 03:12 AM

703 posts, read 447,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Just to remind everyone unemployment is at its lowest point in nearly 45 years, wages are rising faster than inflation and the UK remains the No 1 destination in the EU for inward foreign investment.

The usual half stories. I suggest you have a closer look around this country.
You could run a colony of half starved slaves and claim full employment. More & more people are working in insecure/part time/zero hour work and having to use food banks, with many sleeping on the streets.
Oh, I forgot - people like 'flexible' working conditions don't they, they're not interested in secure well paid employment.

Old 11-11-2019, 03:35 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,461,365 times
Quote:
You could run a colony of half starved slaves and claim full employment. More & more people are working in insecure/part time/zero hour work and having to use food banks, with many sleeping on the streets.
Oh, I forgot - people like 'flexible' working conditions don't they, they're not interested in secure well paid employment.
These conditions you speak of are correct. But this is happening while we're in the EU. Where are the benefits of membership geoff? Things have just got worse and worse for years now.

We had a Labour government in power for 13 years from 1997. What good did it do? I didn't see any mass council house building programme, did you? They left office leaving massive debt and borrowing for the Tory government to try and sort out.

Now we have this clown Corbyn in charge. Another useless Labour party leader, following in the footsteps of Brown and Milliband. He, and his followers, have managed to take control of many local Labour parties. He surrounds himself with misfits like Diane Abbott. His spokesmen like Keir Starmer, tie themselves up in knots trying to explain Labour policy on the EU.They are a total shambles geoff, trying to show unity, that doesn't exist.

You think I take joy in voting for the Tories? I do not. But, they're the only political party that will take us out of the EU. I have to vote for them, I don't feel I have a choice.

Hopefully, once Corbyn is slung out, Labour can regroup, and find a way forward again. We need a real Labour party concerned about British people, not one more concerned with foreigners, than our own people.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:11 AM

Quote:

Well it depends whether you wish to believe official statistics or not.
For instance, they also show that the number of zero hour contracts is falling whilst the number of job vacancies is at a record high.
In many cases employees prefer part-time/zero hours contracts.
My youngest is a student and he and all his mates are on these contracts as it suits their lifestyle.
The basic fact remains that anyone who wishes to work in the UK will find a job available.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:15 AM

Today is Veteran's Day in the US and Armistice/Remembrance Day in the UK.
Having lived in both countries I've often noticed how differently we treat people who have given service to their country.
Both the Tories and Labour are using the day to promote what they're going to do for veterans and this is definitely a plus for having an election at this time of year.
And a quick thanks from me to all our veterans for their service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom