Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 11:49 AM

27,198 posts, read 13,489,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
we wont be losing . we'll be gaining.. and Glasgow is having a street celebration tonight ..

A light Canada plus type trade deal is on the cards, and the EU has already stated it wants zero tariff trade, so we will see what is negotiated.

As for tonight jusy about to open a nice bottle of wine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 11:56 AM

1,877 posts, read 678,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
we wont be losing . we'll be gaining.. and Glasgow is having a street celebration tonight ..
A minority of Glasgow might be gloating tonight, but the vast majority of Glaswegians didn't want any part of this and still don't.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:11 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,535,357 times
A shout out to English Dave today if you are reading this thread. I’ve appreciated hearing your point of view over the past 3 years. I’ve missed not hearing it today. I know this is a long-awaited very special day for you and hope you are fully enjoying it. I read your post on the 19th saying you are in hospice. My very best wishes...

Old 01-31-2020, 12:32 PM

2,264 posts, read 973,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
A minority of Glasgow might be gloating tonight, but the vast majority of Glaswegians didn't want any part of this and still don't.
It was wrong for Johnson to reject Scotland's request for a second referendum on independence on the grounds that Sturgeon and Salmond had promised the first referendum would be a once in a generation decision. Brexit undermined the premise for relying on that promise.

Old 01-31-2020, 02:42 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times
Do any of these trade number count financial services performed in the EU block by UK based firms? Is this going to continue after Brexit (and more likely a year from now when the economic union ends)? I hear a lot of financial firms are bugging out of London for Dublin and/or Frankfurt.

I bet a lot of people in Ireland are laughing their a$$es off at the UK (as UK business moves to Dublin.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
You are comparing percentage of one country's exports to one that has 27 countries tied together. Especially if the countries are close geographically. It does not take a rocket scientist to know the former will be bigger than the latter. As to future fall, time for the 2 sides to work out an agreement. I suspect there will be other markets opening up for UK other than EU.

Me thinks you are having a case of sour grapes. Relax. Everything will be fine.

Old 01-31-2020, 02:44 PM

13,636 posts, read 10,040,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
A shout out to English Dave today if you are reading this thread. I’ve appreciated hearing your point of view over the past 3 years. I’ve missed not hearing it today. I know this is a long-awaited very special day for you and hope you are fully enjoying it. I read your post on the 19th saying you are in hospice. My very best wishes...
I second that, to the great, honourable, English Dave.

Old 01-31-2020, 03:02 PM

13,636 posts, read 10,040,055 times
In celebration of Brexit, I raise a mug of generic max strength flu medication. I celebrate the fact, that, I for one, didn't get assimilated, and become, just another generic European.

Old 01-31-2020, 04:01 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,279,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Do any of these trade number count financial services performed in the EU block by UK based firms? Is this going to continue after Brexit (and more likely a year from now when the economic union ends)? I hear a lot of financial firms are bugging out of London for Dublin and/or Frankfurt.

I bet a lot of people in Ireland are laughing their a$$es off at the UK (as UK business moves to Dublin.)
That story has been circulating since before the Brexit vote. So call it close to 5 years. Not much to actually see, it actually anything at all.

Frankfurt isn't laughing, Germany is already starting to stink of prutrescence in the economic stakes,
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/15/germ...-gdp-2019.html

Dublin isn't either, the Double Irish has been shut down and Ireland is feeling the squeeze, and is bleeding through the Single Malt to Malta (who will have the next big issue with the EU Commission). Here's an interesting article too https://www.independent.ie/business/...-38862959.html

And of course the quantity of funds in Irish banks blew up GDP per capita, and the Irish have had to replace GDP first with GNP then GNI and it's not clear what Irelands actual economy is doing, because it's close to insignificant in comparison to the monies from Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon, Medtronic, etc. etc I'd not like to create a financial services branch in a country that is very difficult to work out what its real economy is doing, because the funds in the banks aren't safe to be leveraged against, they could vanish off to another place in 1/100 of a nanosecond.

Further only the US has worldwide corporate taxes, the UK being outside of the EU may benefit the UK financial sector, it not being required to meet EU requirements on corporate taxation any longer, thus it can take more advantage of US companies foreign revenue than it has previously, and there need not be the same barriers to entry to the UK financial sector as were required under the EU, so that could easily make the UK finance services far more attractive to the rest of the world economies, you know the economies that have actual growth.

Old 01-31-2020, 04:02 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
My husband raised his U.K. mug as a celebration of Brexit. Congrats!

Old 01-31-2020, 04:41 PM

1,877 posts, read 678,753 times
Lest we forget...

I will just leave this here. While the vote to leave the EU was largely driven by older people without much stake in the future of the UK, this was mostly the notorious "boomer" generation born in the couple of decades after WWII.

Those most senior members of our society though who actually fought in that war can often have a different perspective, they see the role that the EU has played in bringing European countries together, cementing peace and building cross-border relationships and mutual friendships between people, something their children's generation maybe took for granted.

Quote:
A love letter from two Second World War veterans to the EU has been beamed on to the White Cliffs of Dover on Brexit Day.

The Kent landmark was lit up early on Friday by the faces of Stephen Goodall and Sidney “Sid” Daw, who lamented the UK’s imminent departure from the Union in an emotional video.

The message was projected on to the same stretch of coastline that provided a welcoming sight for soldiers returning from Dunkirk in 1940...

... After the touching words from the two veterans, the video ends with the stars on the EU flag slowly disappearing.

With just one star remaining, the line reads: “This is our star. Look after it for us.”...

... In the tribute – also translated into French and German – Mr Goodall spoke of his sadness about Brexit.

The 97-year-old, who served in the Army for 32 years, said: “I feel really depressed at the idea that we are leaving Europe because it has meant so much to me.

“I like to be called a European. And the feeling that one has of comradeship as one goes round Europe is really quite something.”

He added: “At my age I shan’t be living much longer but I hope that, for the sake of my children and my grandchildren and my great-grandchildren, that England, Britain will move back to be much closer to Europe than what we have done now.”

The message was shown just after midnight on Friday so as to be seen on Brexit Day itself.

Mr Daw, 95, fought in France, Holland, Belgium and Germany during the war.

He said: “I feel very, very sad about it all because we don’t know which way things are going.”

Appealing to fellow Europeans on the Continent, he said: “Look from your side to this side, see these white cliffs, and we’re looking across at you feeling we want to be together and we will be together before long, I’m sure.”
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/ne...-cliffs/31/01/

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom