Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 04:28 PM

1,877 posts, read 682,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I’ve never encountered anyone who thought that the U.K. was not part of Europe. On the other hand, I’ve never heard of anyone who thought the U.K. was part of continental Europe.

Of course, nobody would disagree with that. Ireland is not part of continental Europe either, nor is Sicily, or Mallorca, or Copenhagen, or Crete, or Malta. But those are all parts of Europe nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 04:32 PM

6,066 posts, read 6,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I’ve never encountered anyone who thought that the U.K. was not part of Europe. On the other hand, I’ve never heard of anyone who thought the U.K. was part of continental Europe.
Well such views appear to hold some sway on this forum. Astounds me as well. If those holding such views on the righteousness of Brexit , confuse not being part of Continental European Mainland, with not being part of the Continent of Europe , then don't hold out much hope for more complicated rational as to why Brexit will benefit Britain and just who it will benefit. All too sad.

Old 12-22-2019, 04:44 PM

Yes, it's a triumph of misinformation. 'Alternative facts' and rewriting history are the order of the day with the current Brexiteer government and their press baron allies, much like the Trumpian regime across the Atlantic.

Old 12-22-2019, 05:19 PM

1,139 posts, read 467,385 times
Is across the Atlantic your address??

Old 12-22-2019, 05:28 PM

Erm no, I said that the Trump regime was 'across the Atlantic' which would place me somewhere in Europe.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:55 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,686,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Erm no, I said that the Trump regime was 'across the Atlantic' which would place me somewhere in Europe.
Lol. It seems very odd to me to argue pretty well established facts. Maybe I should’ve polled is England in Europe or not? Let the people decide. Plus everyone should just make up their own reality as they see fit. Who am I to say the earth ain’t flat or the moon is made of cheese? Sure, some “authorities” may have said so but they’re all just elitists trying to tell me what to think. Well, I guess it is kind of fun to feel that way. Hell, I don’t like Trump but I’m not pretending he’s not the president of the USA just because it makes me feel better... that’s just, how do you say? Daft?

Old 12-22-2019, 07:26 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,686,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I don't care about your unverifiable appeal to authority, interesting you feel the need of support though.

Continents, like countries, are arbitrary boundaries only for organizational purposes but serve no real purpose other than to provide a general area of a countries location. Countries matter (even though their boundaries are equally arbitrary) since they define jurisdictions of law. Continents don't even have that, it's just a ballpark.

I'm just pointing out that geography is highly mutable since the 1990s its changed dramatically. Since the end of WW2 it's almost unrecognizable. If countries can alter and change, why not continents?
Unverifiable appeal to authority? You mean maps? It’s true, I’m not a cartographer, so I do appeal to their authority. Guilty as charged I guess. Although it does make me wonder what you use to navigate with then. Internal compass?

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 12-22-2019 at 08:17 PM..

Old 12-22-2019, 11:57 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,529,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
And if this is an example of a typical Brexit voter, be scared. Be very scared. Do you understand how a country differs from a Continent? Is the education system so lacking in England that there are people getting about, by all accounts in considerable number, not knowing to which continent they belong?
Astounding could be a word to use here.
17.4 million people voted for Brexit.
I'd be wary of making generalisations about any of them except perhaps that a considerable number of them have also just voted in a government with a large majority to carry out their original mandate.
You're welcome.

Old 12-23-2019, 12:40 AM

6,066 posts, read 6,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
17.4 million people voted for Brexit.
I'd be wary of making generalisations about any of them except perhaps that a considerable number of them have also just voted in a government with a large majority to carry out their original mandate.
You're welcome.
What really maters is just how many of that number are geographically confused as well? Confused enough to consider a vote against belonging to an organisation automatically removes them from being a part of Europe.
Just makes the English look a bit dim not knowing where they are in the world. I wonder how many would fail to pick out Britain on a world map?
Lemmings committing mass suicide over a cliff comes to mind. While I'm not suggesting the result will be as destructive in those terms, the collective decision based on a simplistic slogan, namely 'Lets get Brexit done' without knowledge of small print or reasoned rational, does underline the general confusion in exactly what is to done. Geographic confusion just further underlines the limitations to democracy.

Old 12-23-2019, 02:09 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,529,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
What really maters is just how many of that number are geographically confused as well? Confused enough to consider a vote against belonging to an organisation automatically removes them from being a part of Europe.
Just makes the English look a bit dim not knowing where they are in the world. I wonder how many would fail to pick out Britain on a world map?
Lemmings committing mass suicide over a cliff comes to mind. While I'm not suggesting the result will be as destructive in those terms, the collective decision based on a simplistic slogan, namely 'Lets get Brexit done' without knowledge of small print or reasoned rational, does underline the general confusion in exactly what is to done. Geographic confusion just further underlines the limitations to democracy.
Considering how many of our countrymen died in Europe liberating the continent I'd say most people have a pretty good idea where it and Britain is on the map.
Once again, you're welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom