Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 03:23 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,630,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
I think you are dreaming.
Here is an article published two days ago that espouses a different position. The GBP and the EUR reaching parity may be a symbolic shift in world finance.

Quote:
Does Brexit make a United Ireland inevitable?
Published time: 17 Mar, 2017 10:27
https://www.rt.com/news/381112-north...-brexit-unity/

The proposition of a United Ireland has become not just acceptable in political discussion but, according to some, pragmatic since the seismic shift in the political terrain caused by last year’s Brexit referendum. Britain’s lurch into populism and the prospect of a new Scottish independence referendum has thrust reunification of Northern Ireland with the Republic of Ireland to the surface of political discourse, however unwelcome it may be to some. “Brexit came out of nowhere, it was not in the British political script at all… What it effectively did was highlight that all of the rational arguments are now in favor of Irish reunification,” Kevin Meagher, an author and former special adviser in Northern Ireland tells RT.

While Brexit may have come as a shock to many, Meagher argues that the writing has been on the wall for years and that now, a United Ireland is the only logical outcome which serves the interests of all parties involved. A referendum on Northern Ireland’s status, often referred to as a border poll, looms large as UK Prime Minister Theresa May’s hand reaches for the Brexit trigger. “If you have a border poll and there is a majority in favor of Irish Unity, that is not really the point at which you want to begin this conversation,” Meagher says. “Before we actually come to that, we can start to intellectually understand how the Irish state may become more federal, with a large amount of devolution, there may be a strengthened constitutional right to different identity .

“That’s the conversation that should start to happen now.”

Since a 1998 peace deal, known as the Good Friday agreement, ended three decades of bloody sectarian conflict in Northern Ireland, sporadic periods of unrest and violence have tested the fragile accord as it struggles to fully emerge from its bloody past. While there is no sign of a return to the tit-for-tat sectarian violence that killed 3,600 people, the frailties of Northern Ireland’s political power-sharing system have once again been exposed by the collapse of its assembly. Last week, Northern Ireland ventured into the unknown as unionists lost their majority, at least in terms of seats occupied, in national elections – for the first time since the partition of Ireland in 1921.

Sinn Féin, once the political wing of the Irish Republican Army (IRA) and backed predominantly by many of Northern Ireland's Catholics, has surged in popularity and made extraordinary gains amongst the electorate, underpinning an apparent demographic shift in which nationalists could soon become the majority. Opinion, however, remains divided on whether it was clear evidence of a resurgent Irish nationalism or merely a protest vote at the perceived hubris of unionism and its leading party, the DUP.

“A vote for Sinn Féin does not necessarily approximate to a vote for a United Ireland, you can’t be as crude as that, it’s not as easy as that,” Diarmaid Ferriter, academic, historian and author says of the recent elections.

While the ideological imperative on both sides of the debate in Northern Ireland may not be as strong as it once was, consideration of tradition and cultural identity is essential if the debate on reunification can begin. “I would never say that reunification is an inevitability. I think it’s very interesting that question of unity has come back into the frame… [but] you cannot coerce or force Unionists into a United Ireland against their will,” Ferriter points out.

Brexit makes governance even more complex as Northern Ireland’s border with the Republic is the UK's only land border with the EU, raising the prospect of border controls that could stoke memories of past violence. “That issue in itself is problematic,” says Ferriter. “But there are an awful lot of people growing up in Northern Ireland now, post-Troubles, that don’t necessarily see unification as a burning issue.”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 03:29 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,859,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Sturgeon is NOT a Glaswegian.

Neither is Paul
Sturgeon is from Ayrshire and me Tayside that should show you how far this movement encompasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
It should be for the island of Britain to vote on whether we sever a third of our land mass
Just you watch us do just that. And it is precisely that Anglo superiority complex that will guide us to the finish line.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:11 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,286,235 times
Mod Note:

Stay on topic. Posts attacking posters, rather than comments, trolls, and off topic posts WILL be infraction and deleted. If further derailment continues the thread will be locked.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:57 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,710,145 times
If Scotland has a second referendum and votes for independence, just how will Scotland reduce it's budget deficit of 9%? To put that into perspective, Greece, which we all know is an economic basket case, has a budget deficit of only 7.2%.

So with no Barnett formula, no currency of it's own, no central bank and separated from it's largest export market, England, how will Scotland survive economically?

The EU said last week that if Scotland wants to join the EU then it will have to go to the back of the queue. And it will also have to meet the EU's economic criteria for membership, and that means a budget deficit of 3% or less.

I wonder if the Scots who want independence realise the sort of financial pain the Scottish people would suffer while trying to reduce the budget deficit? According to the experts there would have to be massive cuts in public spending, cuts that would make the UK's austerity measures look like a walk in the park.

The other alternative would be huge rises in taxation. Are the Scots ready for that?

Old 03-20-2017, 02:08 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,110,400 times
I know Sturgeon is not from Glasgow, it is the attitude of Glaswegians ( having lived there)who will force the issue. No, the English don't think they are superior we just get on with our day to day lives. A lot of Scots Nats think they know their history they don't , they don't represent that land. But I would let them vote next week

Old 03-20-2017, 02:10 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,983,842 times
Southern English definitely have a superiority complex trust me. You can't handle any criticism.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:27 AM

18,544 posts, read 18,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
If Scotland has a second referendum and votes for independence, just how will Scotland reduce it's budget deficit of 9%? To put that into perspective, Greece, which we all know is an economic basket case, has a budget deficit of only 7.2%.

So with no Barnett formula, no currency of it's own, no central bank and separated from it's largest export market, England, how will Scotland survive economically?

The EU said last week that if Scotland wants to join the EU then it will have to go to the back of the queue. And it will also have to meet the EU's economic criteria for membership, and that means a budget deficit of 3% or less.

I wonder if the Scots who want independence realise the sort of financial pain the Scottish people would suffer while trying to reduce the budget deficit? According to the experts there would have to be massive cuts in public spending, cuts that would make the UK's austerity measures look like a walk in the park.

The other alternative would be huge rises in taxation. Are the Scots ready for that?
then the real battles would begin...

Old 03-20-2017, 04:00 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,110,400 times
I agree that Southern English have a different mind set from not only Scots but Northern England, the West Country etc: that makes them, not all, sound patronising, and superior. I do get Paul on this, Shame that Britain is splitting on this one.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:19 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,444,007 times
Article 50 to be triggered next Wednesday 29th March by Theresa May........

Article 50: Theresa May to trigger Brexit process next Wednesday - BBC News

Old 03-20-2017, 08:39 AM

1,529 posts, read 918,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Article 50 to be triggered next Wednesday 29th March by Theresa May........

Article 50: Theresa May to trigger Brexit process next Wednesday - BBC News
Hi Dave,

You beat me to it. I just scanned about 250 comments posted on BBC. Mostly positive, I think. It will be interesting to follow news about the negotiations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom