Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 09:41 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,519,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahpsuth3 View Post
Why are you worried about Scotland?

Whose official forecasts, the OBR - the governments official watchdog? Ha.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-predict.html

Again,your artilce is from 2016.
You do seem to rely on old data for your proof.
By the way UK economy returned to growth in May ( that's this May ) as car production increases following April shutdowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 10:29 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,442,642 times
Quote:
Getting riled won't make any difference, if that's how the dice land that's it. Unless you have another referendum on it .

Who has been cooking the books for all these years pretending that we are the poor relations.
https://scotlandowntwofeet.blogspot.com/

So tell me why are the tories.labour and lib-dems so scared of losing Scotland?

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17...ee-save-union/
Keep dreaming that Scotland is viable. Get another vote, leave the Union, then we'll build a big wall. We will then stand on the wall, and see how you're all getting on. Sort of like going to the zoo.

Once again I'll state, the English are sick to the back teeth of whinging Nicola. If Labour depend on the SNP to form a government in England, after a General Election, then the English will finally have had enough.

You think we'll put up with the tail wagging the dog? Think again. If Labour went into a coalition with the SNP, they will regret it down the line. The English people won't take kindly to Nicola's smirking face telling us what to do.

The Tories won't be the only political party facing extinction.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:35 AM

7,683 posts, read 5,545,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I've no doubt Trudeau is doing what's best for Canada but that doesn't make him any less of a knob.
I have a Canadian pal with a visceral loathing of him.
I find most Canadians don’t have extreme emotional reactions to their politicians. The politicians are generally actually rather boring (including Trudeau). All of them get stinky in time with power but then they are voted out and the other party takes over. Rinse, repeat. I don’t care for Scheer - his policies are vague and he tends to backtrack if he receives a negative reaction to what he says. So it’s hard to tell what he would actually do with power. That’s my main concern about him - nothing emotional about my opinion of him at all.

By the way, in that vein, the vote for Trudeau and the Liberals was mainly a vote against the previous Conservative PM who had been in power nearly 10 years... people were fed up with him.

Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason” ― Mark Twain

OK - back to the topic of the thread.

Last edited by cdnirene; 07-10-2019 at 10:48 AM..

Old 07-10-2019, 11:14 AM

336 posts, read 147,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Again,your artilce is from 2016.
You do seem to rely on old data for your proof.
By the way UK economy returned to growth in May ( that's this May ) as car production increases following April shutdowns.

Here's a real goodie from 2014 which explains it all, it's not about the precious union or love or brotherhood or even economics, it's about saving face in the eyes of the world. It's about the old British stiff upper lip.

The gist of it is-If Scotland votes â€yes’, Great Britain will become Little Britain.No seat at the top table anywhere in the world.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2014/07/what-will-be-left/

Old 07-10-2019, 11:17 AM

336 posts, read 147,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Keep dreaming that Scotland is viable. Get another vote, leave the Union, then we'll build a big wall. We will then stand on the wall, and see how you're all getting on. Sort of like going to the zoo.

Once again I'll state, the English are sick to the back teeth of whinging Nicola. If Labour depend on the SNP to form a government in England, after a General Election, then the English will finally have had enough.

You think we'll put up with the tail wagging the dog? Think again. If Labour went into a coalition with the SNP, they will regret it down the line. The English people won't take kindly to Nicola's smirking face telling us what to do.

The Tories won't be the only political party facing extinction.

Nicola wouldn't be telling anyone what to do she would get Independence and leave them to it.

Make Britain great again, Build the wall, build the wall, sounds very Trumpian.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Nicola wouldn't be telling anyone what to do she would get Independence and leave them to it.

Make Britain great again, Build the wall, build the wall, sounds very Trumpian.
We'd need a wall to keep the Scots out. You want independence, all you've got to do, is find the guts to actually do it. Unlike the Scots, we were given a vote, and we actually did have the guts to vote to leave the EU.

Not our fault our politicians refuse to obey that vote. Tell you what, we actually leave the EU, then you guys have a vote for independence, and find the nerve to leave the Union. Then apply for EU membership. I can hear the laughter now.

Scotland is a pipsqueak nation, run by a pipsqueak politician. You need us, far more than we need you. Go sing 'Scotland the Brave', then get back to me when you lose another independence vote. The English are sick to the back teeth of it.

We need to concentrate on England's needs, because you guys sure seem only concerned with yourselves. I have lost interest in the UK. I am concerned for England, and the English people. We need to leave the EU, and take back control of our country.

Unlike younger folks here, I remember when we were an independent nation, before the EU took over. We voted for independence. You know, like you folks didn't.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:56 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,592,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I find most Canadians don’t have extreme emotional reactions to their politicians. The politicians are generally actually rather boring (including Trudeau). All of them get stinky in time with power but then they are voted out and the other party takes over. Rinse, repeat. I don’t care for Scheer - his policies are vague and he tends to backtrack if he receives a negative reaction to what he says. So it’s hard to tell what he would actually do with power. That’s my main concern about him - nothing emotional about my opinion of him at all.

By the way, in that vein, the vote for Trudeau and the Liberals was mainly a vote against the previous Conservative PM who had been in power nearly 10 years... people were fed up with him.

Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason” ― Mark Twain

OK - back to the topic of the thread.
I had some strong feelings about Harper. So much so, that I almost wrote a very stern letter!!

Old 07-10-2019, 01:58 PM

1,877 posts, read 679,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post

Scotland is a pipsqueak nation, run by a pipsqueak politician. You need us, far more than we need you. Go sing 'Scotland the Brave', then get back to me when you lose another independence vote. The English are sick to the back teeth of it.
That really sounds very arrogant, what has Scotland ever done to you?

So Scotland needs England more than England needs Scotland, the EU needs England more than England needs the EU, it seems like everybody is dependant on England in your world view while England has no need of good relations with anybody. Don't you think that is an inflated sense of self-importance?

England itself doesn't have one set of 'needs', what is good for Carlisle isn't necessarily good for Cambridge and vice versa, and what is good for some people in Carlisle might not be good for other people in Carlisle.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
That really sounds very arrogant, what has Scotland ever done to you?

So Scotland needs England more than England needs Scotland, the EU needs England more than England needs the EU, it seems like everybody is dependant on England in your world view while England has no need of good relations with anybody. Don't you think that is an inflated sense of self-importance?

England itself doesn't have one set of 'needs', what is good for Carlisle isn't necessarily good for Cambridge and vice versa, and what is good for some people in Carlisle might not be good for other people in Carlisle.
What has Scotland ever done to me? Try talking with English people like my son who have lived in Scotland. Ask them about the aggression they have faced from Scots in their cups. Arrogance is a fine word, look in the mirror.

You really believe the nonsense spouted by wee Nicola don't you? You're just a tiny country, with a high opinion of yourselves. Independence would be ruinous for Scotland. Lucky for you, enough Scots realised this during your independence vote.

England needs to become concerned with the English. I don't give a damn if the EU needs us, or doesn't. We need to be free of them, and their disregard for my country. It's going to cost us, and them, plenty. I have no illusions how difficult they will try to make it for us.

Time you Scots realised who your real friends are. The EU don't give a damn for you, or Ireland either. We need to stick together. You don't seem to think so. OK then....... see how you get on without us. It's a scary world out there.

We English have never behaved towards Scots, in the disgraceful way English people living in Scotland have faced from some of your countrymen. The anti English sentiment expressed during your independence campaign has not been forgotten. If you dish it, you need to learn how to take it.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:29 PM

1,877 posts, read 679,831 times
Why are you assuming I'm Scottish?

Even terms like 'wee Nicola', 'a pipsqueak nation' etc betrays a mindset of casual patronising disdain and arrogant superiority complexes.

Scotland leaving the UK would be about as economically ruinous as the UK leaving the EU, but in one case you seem to think it's worth it while in the other case you seem to be very resentful that they would even contemplate it.

You are clearly not a 'real friend' of Scotland judging by the sentiments you are expressing so why are you claiming you are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom