Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 09:27 AM

391 posts, read 197,656 times

Advertisements

Oops! sorry wrong thread. Mod, please delete and I'll repost in correct thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 09:39 AM

1,285 posts, read 597,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
The EU have designed and advertised an agreement that suits them, it's interesting that for months it's been said the hard Irish birder is Britains fault, then just a couple of weeks ago Leo Varadkar admitted the Irish Republic would need to implement that border (which flies in the face of being the UKs fault).

Given that any trade agreement will need at least decade to negotiate and ratify, how critical do you think that, that deal will be? After a decade, the UK will have learned to survive on WTO rules with the EU, or have alternative agreements sourcing imports from non-EU nations. So at that time if the EU want to get shirty, it's not going to be a huge loss.
I don't understand how that is difficult to grasp.
The UK are pulling the rug-out and changing their Customs and Regulatory legal framework by exiting from the EU. It was within that EU customs legal framework where that border could be pretty non-existant and open.

You'll also have to stand up border infastructure on your side.
I understand people are in denial about that, but it's true.
160+ members of the WTO are going to complain loudly when unchecked and untarriffed goods traverse across that frontier from Ireland into the UK.

Last edited by jman0war; 07-02-2019 at 10:07 AM..

Old 07-02-2019, 01:24 PM

7,694 posts, read 5,578,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
I don't understand how that is difficult to grasp.
The UK are pulling the rug-out and changing their Customs and Regulatory legal framework by exiting from the EU. It was within that EU customs legal framework where that border could be pretty non-existant and open.

160+ members of the WTO are going to complain loudly when unchecked and untarriffed goods traverse across that frontier from Ireland into the UK.
I think foreign companies would be delighted if their exports entered the U.K. tariff free. It would make their products more competitive in the British market.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:10 PM

1,285 posts, read 597,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I think foreign companies would be delighted if their exports entered the U.K. tariff free. It would make their products more competitive in the British market.
Sorry but that's not the way world trade works.
If Irish apples are entering the UK tariff free while Canadian ones don't, Canada will complain and those complaints will be upheld.
You can't allow one countries goods to enter at an advantage over another under most favoured nation rules at WTO.
If you are placing a 5% tariff on apples, then that tariff applies to all countries apples.

Or maybe you mean, all 160+ member countries of the WTO will be allowed sell their products into the UK tariff free?
That strikes me as highly, highly unlikely as it would just destroy UK businesses and farmers.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:44 PM

336 posts, read 147,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Indeed.
Scottish independence is so far off the back burner it's returned to the coal shed.
There's only one game in town now and talk of Scottish independence or Irish unity is wishful thinking.
Nicola Sturgeon has never been more irrelevant ,particularly as the SNP's record in government is shocking.
Imagine how they'd cope without a massive annual bung from England.

In today's news -

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17...ters-back-yes/

The SNP's record in government is shocking-

No tuition fees, no prescription charges, free care for the elderly, free hospital parking, frozen council tax.

I take it the massive bung you mean is Barnett, which is a partial refund to Scotland of taxes raised in Scotland but paid directly to the treasury.

The Block "Grant" is a carefully chosen misnomer to fool the gullible.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:51 PM

7,694 posts, read 5,578,298 times
Quote:
Or maybe you mean, all 160+ member countries of the WTO will be allowed sell their products into the UK tariff free?
That strikes me as highly, highly unlikely as it would just destroy UK businesses and farmers.
I was responding to to your premise “160+ members of the WTO are going to complain loudly when unchecked and untarriffed goods traverse across that frontier from Ireland into the UK.”

If products are unchecked, country of origin won’t be known and tariffs can’t be levied.

By the way, have you forgotten this temporary plan...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...y-no-deal-plan

Old 07-03-2019, 12:39 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,530,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cahpsuth3 View Post
In today's news -

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17...ters-back-yes/

The SNP's record in government is shocking-

No tuition fees, no prescription charges, free care for the elderly, free hospital parking, frozen council tax.

I take it the massive bung you mean is Barnett, which is a partial refund to Scotland of taxes raised in Scotland but paid directly to the treasury.

The Block "Grant" is a carefully chosen misnomer to fool the gullible.
Scottish education is in crisis with the number of children from deprived areas going to university falling - the only part of the Union where this is happening.
Free tuition has been funded by cutting student grants meaning Scotland is by far the worst country in the UK to be a disadvantaged student and the poorest students graduate with the most debt.
In primary and secondary schools standards in reading,writing and numeracy have been falling since 2011 with poorer kids once again the worst off.
In the NHS waiting times are far longer than in England and conditions in the area of mental health are also much worse.
Scotland under the SNP is not a good place in which to be young, poor or ill.
Freedom indeed.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:29 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,299,621 times
Quote:

The point I'm making is Varadkar was touting it was all on the UK, and nothing to do with ireland.

What is hard to understand about the Irish border, is that it's been predominantly unregulated and open for the entire existence of the Irish Republic. Even before either the UK or RoI were in Europe? Yet somehow it's impossible to do now, because.... UK.

I call BS

Old 07-03-2019, 02:42 AM

336 posts, read 147,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Scottish education is in crisis with the number of children from deprived areas going to university falling - the only part of the Union where this is happening.
Free tuition has been funded by cutting student grants meaning Scotland is by far the worst country in the UK to be a disadvantaged student and the poorest students graduate with the most debt.
In primary and secondary schools standards in reading,writing and numeracy have been falling since 2011 with poorer kids once again the worst off.
In the NHS waiting times are far longer than in England and conditions in the area of mental health are also much worse.
Scotland under the SNP is not a good place in which to be young, poor or ill.
Freedom indeed.

Re: NHS, Today

https://www.thenational.scot/news/16...est-of-the-uk/

What is this little secret the tories are tring to hide? The poll paid for with public money.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17...l/?ref=mr&lp=2

Old 07-03-2019, 02:43 AM

6,066 posts, read 6,036,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
The point I'm making is Varadkar was touting it was all on the UK, and nothing to do with ireland.

What is hard to understand about the Irish border, is that it's been predominantly unregulated and open for the entire existence of the Irish Republic. Even before either the UK or RoI were in Europe? Yet somehow it's impossible to do now, because.... UK.

I call BS
Nothing hard to understand. Ireland being part of EU, not always the case of course but is now and has been for sometime. Hence EU regulations apply meaning no free border access to goods or people as stands. No reason on earth why UK should consider any special treatment. Cake and eat it or what? Further examples if any needed, of the lack of thought into the consequences of Brexit would likely result in a poorly designed exit strategy that wasn't supposed to happen or at least not an original intent in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom