Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 02:15 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,080,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
It's going to drag on and on

If there is an election there's going to be all sorts of tactical arrangements to get parties in based on if the are for staying or leaving the EU and it'll all be about that one single issue.

By the time this happens the best part of 10 billion pounds will be gone on preparations and nothing will have changed, that is a hell of a lot of money for the NHS, police etc.

The EU won't change a thing and nor should they.

To stop wasting money and time the sensible option is asking the public what they want now in 2019 by referendum with just two boxes to tick, leave the EU with no deal or stay and scrap Brexit.

I know this is not popular with those that voted to leave come what may but sanity needs to come back into the debate.
Point 1
We've already had that vote, we voted leave, the government now HAVE to do what the vote asked them to do, anything else is a betrayal of Democracy, people (myself included) will go to war over this.

Point 2
Its not your business, you chose to forego your 'say' in the matter the moment you f*cked off elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 02:27 AM

1,129 posts, read 471,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Point 1
We've already had that vote, we voted leave, the government now HAVE to do what the vote asked them to do, anything else is a betrayal of Democracy, people (myself included) will go to war over this.

Point 2
Its not your business, you chose to forego your 'say' in the matter the moment you f*cked off elsewhere.

I'm sure there are thousands of people who would go to war to protect their livelihoods that you are happy to throw under a bus.

Wherever I move in the world I'm British and retain the same rights that any other British person does which includes the right of free speech

Old 08-02-2019, 03:09 AM

1,877 posts, read 681,087 times
Quote:
We will all probably be better off in the long run, I don't see how Brexit can do anything else but make the country richer.
When has ripping up trading arrangements with your closest neighbours ever made a country richer?

Is not coincidence that pretty much all business organisations, trade union groups and serious economists are predicting it will end badly.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:11 AM

1,877 posts, read 681,087 times
Quote:
Point 1

Point 2
So even if the people vote again and decide they have changed their minds you will use violence against them to push through your demands?

We cannot allow the country to be held hostage by those who seek to use violence to ram through their extremist political positions.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:11 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,450,632 times
Quote:
It's going to drag on and on

If there is an election there's going to be all sorts of tactical arrangements to get parties in based on if the are for staying or leaving the EU and it'll all be about that one single issue.

By the time this happens the best part of 10 billion pounds will be gone on preparations and nothing will have changed, that is a hell of a lot of money for the NHS, police etc.

The EU won't change a thing and nor should they.

To stop wasting money and time the sensible option is asking the public what they want now in 2019 by referendum with just two boxes to tick, leave the EU with no deal or stay and scrap Brexit.

I know this is not popular with those that voted to leave come what may but sanity needs to come back into the debate.
I can see a possible General Election, but not another vote on EU membership. Not by this government anyway.

If Labour call a vote of confidence, they will need to get a move on, after the recess in Parliament is over in early September. By then, only eight weeks will be left, before we leave the EU.

I agree the EU won't change a thing, but the backstop is not going to fly. It's dead as a dodo. No country can agree to such a humiliation. It required us to surrender political control over part of our country, and we couldn't get it back without the EU's say so. Theresa May must have been in a day dream telling the EU she could get this past Parliament.

So, here we are on the good ship UK Titanic, heading for the EU iceberg.

I understand your hopes for another vote. If Labour manage to force a General Election, and somehow win, or cobble together a coalition, they may very well get another extension from the EU. Then call a vote with the questions you want on a voting form.

The time spent on a campaign will be ugly,and divisive. I believe the result will be close again, one way or the other. If it is, then this mess will never end. If it goes closely to remain, then Nigel Farage will fight on for another vote. It will be a weeping sore going forward.

There is no good, satisfying end to this mess. I believe we must carry out the democratic vote of 2016. It has to be done, and then we move on as best we can. We have always been reluctant members of the EU, forever the pebble in the EU shoe.

Boris Johnson is a smart guy. He will be looking at this very differently from the hapless Theresa May. He is a populist, and Labour have a struggling leader, just at the time they need an obvious PM in waiting. He isn't it. A General Election will be very interesting indeed.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:21 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,238,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
When has ripping up trading arrangements with your closest neighbours ever made a country richer?

Is not coincidence that pretty much all business organisations, trade union groups and serious economists are predicting it will end badly.
In addition to which it is now been made totally clear that there will be no UK-USA trade deal to offset this, no matter what Johnson or Trump say or want. There is a solid majority of members of Congress of both parties who are completely opposed to it. This means that despite the 2020 election that this is very unlikely to change as this opposition appears to be entrenched party positions.

Trump could offer the outline of a possible trade agreement to Johnson, but, of course, details would take years to work out, and Congressional opposition to such an agreement means that every move to make such an intentional trade agreement a reality would be met with a Congressional No!

Old 08-02-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
I'm sure there are thousands of people who would go to war to protect their livelihoods that you are happy to throw under a bus.

Wherever I move in the world I'm British and retain the same rights that any other British person does which includes the right of free speech
Free speech yes, but you don't live here, people that actually live here are the people that have to deal with the consequences of being part of the EU, its the people that actually live here that deal with these consequences that voted to leave.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Free speech yes, but you don't live here, people that actually live here are the people that have to deal with the consequences of being part of the EU, its the people that actually live here that deal with these consequences that voted to leave.

It will probably impact me vastly more than you, unless you lose your job

I've every right to speak up and argue the EU case which is vastly understated in my opinion.

The truth's a lot harder to see when so many lies are thrown around.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I can see a possible General Election, but not another vote on EU membership. Not by this government anyway.

If Labour call a vote of confidence, they will need to get a move on, after the recess in Parliament is over in early September. By then, only eight weeks will be left, before we leave the EU.

I agree the EU won't change a thing, but the backstop is not going to fly. It's dead as a dodo. No country can agree to such a humiliation. It required us to surrender political control over part of our country, and we couldn't get it back without the EU's say so. Theresa May must have been in a day dream telling the EU she could get this past Parliament.

So, here we are on the good ship UK Titanic, heading for the EU iceberg.

I understand your hopes for another vote. If Labour manage to force a General Election, and somehow win, or cobble together a coalition, they may very well get another extension from the EU. Then call a vote with the questions you want on a voting form.

The time spent on a campaign will be ugly,and divisive. I believe the result will be close again, one way or the other. If it is, then this mess will never end. If it goes closely to remain, then Nigel Farage will fight on for another vote. It will be a weeping sore going forward.

There is no good, satisfying end to this mess. I believe we must carry out the democratic vote of 2016. It has to be done, and then we move on as best we can. We have always been reluctant members of the EU, forever the pebble in the EU shoe.

Boris Johnson is a smart guy. He will be looking at this very differently from the hapless Theresa May. He is a populist, and Labour have a struggling leader, just at the time they need an obvious PM in waiting. He isn't it. A General Election will be very interesting indeed.
It is a terrible mess and you are right, a general election will more more likely than a new referendum although any election will be a referendum on Brexit in everything but name.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
So even if the people vote again and decide they have changed their minds you will use violence against them to push through your demands?

We cannot allow the country to be held hostage by those who seek to use violence to ram through their extremist political positions.
Its NOT an 'extremist political position' though is it! - just the position of the majority of voters - this is about DEMOCRACY! Its serious! How do you think the country would go if everytime we voted the losing voters demanded things their way? Just like a lot of arrogant remainer's you THINK you are right and the leave voters are wrong! I notice all the scaremongers tend to be people who have done 'ok' from the being part of the horrible little club - what about the millions of people that suffer from being in the EU? If the powers that be refuse to act on the will of the people then I think war is perfectly justified! You will find it happens a lot in 'tin pot' dictatorships across the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom