Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 11:17 AM

434 posts, read 249,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
Which is why I said most leave voters don't understand correctly the backstop issue, they follow the sun newspaper easy soundbites about how "Brussels lapdog" Leo Varadkar is thwarting project brexit.

I don't especially like Varadkar but fully support the backstop position, as do the majority of irish people, it's preposterous that we are expected to put the UK ahead of ourselves.

Leaving Northern Ireland in the customs Union is the obvious solution to this pickle, I want Britain to leave the EU, the people voted for it but brexiteers can't have everything and must be willing to be practical and flexible. Ploughing over the October 31st cliff is all very well but November will come and all the issues remain

The behaviour of the UK is nothing short of childishness, its deeply unbritish
Talks currently cheap, in the event of a no deal with 10s of billions on the line a different tunes going to be sung. After all for all the talk of other opportunities the number 1 deal to be struck after Brexit is the trade deal with the EU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 01:36 PM

1,139 posts, read 467,543 times
The old prized thought on the word 'democracy' has been replaced by a weird way of doing or accepting things.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:35 PM

1,153 posts, read 571,246 times
I'm not convinced we will leave on the 31st with no deal (even though we should). I think there will be some skullduggery on the part of the establishment to keep us in, I'm half expecting something quite shocking to happen.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:47 PM

1,139 posts, read 467,543 times
Well shocking could also happen to Europe as they have countries who will have a problem and their champion over there is wobbly on it's economy.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:43 PM

1,877 posts, read 682,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
I'm not convinced we will leave on the 31st with no deal (even though we should). I think there will be some skullduggery on the part of the establishment to keep us in, I'm half expecting something quite shocking to happen.
We can live in hope. But to be honest I think it's more likely now that the Brexiteers will win and we leave with no deal at Halloween. I only hope that those Brexiteers are big enough and honest enough to own the consequences of that Brexit and accept that they are to blame for any negative consequences rather than trying to deflect it onto others. I really don't want to be hearing 'It was the EU's fault for being mean to us', 'it was remoaners fault for not believing in Brexit'. Any consequences of Brexit are directly the responsibility of those who voted for Brexit and continue to support it.

Any and all negative consequences of a hard no deal Brexit will be entirely the responsibility of the Brexiteers, and I along with tens of millions of others will be watching then very closely for signs that they want to squirm out of responsibility for what they have done to our country.

We will not just let this pass and shrug our shoulders, when our children are poorer with fewer opportunities than we had because of this debacle we will not just let it go, this whole fiasco has sown divisions in our country for generations to come.

If there are mechanisms whereby the costs of Brexit can be put onto the people who voted for it while protecting those who took a more sane view then I will support those mechanisms. Unfortunately that will be tricky, we will probably all suffer (except for the likes of Rees-Mogg, BoJo, Dyson, Wetherspoons guy, Farage etc who are rich enough to keep their wealth out of the UK while the **** his the fan) but we will have to do whatever we can to make things fair in that respect.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:18 PM

1,153 posts, read 571,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
We can live in hope. But to be honest I think it's more likely now that the Brexiteers will win and we leave with no deal at Halloween. I only hope that those Brexiteers are big enough and honest enough to own the consequences of that Brexit and accept that they are to blame for any negative consequences rather than trying to deflect it onto others. I really don't want to be hearing 'It was the EU's fault for being mean to us', 'it was remoaners fault for not believing in Brexit'. Any consequences of Brexit are directly the responsibility of those who voted for Brexit and continue to support it.

Any and all negative consequences of a hard no deal Brexit will be entirely the responsibility of the Brexiteers, and I along with tens of millions of others will be watching then very closely for signs that they want to squirm out of responsibility for what they have done to our country.

We will not just let this pass and shrug our shoulders, when our children are poorer with fewer opportunities than we had because of this debacle we will not just let it go, this whole fiasco has sown divisions in our country for generations to come.

If there are mechanisms whereby the costs of Brexit can be put onto the people who voted for it while protecting those who took a more sane view then I will support those mechanisms. Unfortunately that will be tricky, we will probably all suffer (except for the likes of Rees-Mogg, BoJo, Dyson, Wetherspoons guy, Farage etc who are rich enough to keep their wealth out of the UK while the **** his the fan) but we will have to do whatever we can to make things fair in that respect.
It sounds a bit like you think all us leavers should be thrown in jail for our treachery

Old 08-12-2019, 10:36 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post

Now, now now. Calm down, and don't upset yourself. Everything will be all right. The sky won't fall. We won't try and squirm out of responsibility for Brexit. We voted for it, and just wish politicians hadn't made it so difficult this last few years.

Your many petulant posts ensure we understand how angry you are at the very idea of a democratic vote being obeyed by our politicians. One day you will thank us. I look forward to seeing your happy posts here in city-data........

Old 08-12-2019, 10:51 PM

2,264 posts, read 980,665 times
Don’t expect politicians to help end the selling of Britain’s soul when they long ago sold their own.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:57 AM

6,066 posts, read 6,036,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
Don’t expect politicians to help end the selling of Britain’s soul when they long ago sold their own.
Quite so. Boris for example put a finger to the wind to test its direction and changed position to Euro sceptic. Career move obviously.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:02 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,299,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
I think you're mistaken.

Britain sold its soul a long time ago, this whole dog and pony show is an attempt to reclaim some of it.

Although I do think it's ironic that remainers who's primary fear is loss of national earnings, are probably nodding in agreement with your words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom