Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 10:45 AM

1,877 posts, read 682,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Sit down, and really ask yourself - would Dean have been able to set up this business in Calais? I once saw a TV program (yes a few years ago now) about a guy trying to open up an 'English' themed restaurant in France (Normandy I think but can't quite remember where in France exactly), he complained that the locals wouldn't give it a chance and would actually actively scoff at him for even trying..........so as an experiment they went on to the streets of Paris with tit-bits of English food, on silver platters, being carried by glamourous women and asked people if they would like to 'try' - people tried, the food was well received in the main (as you would expect), and then they repeated the 'experiment' but this time they put little 'Union Flags' in the food - I'm sure you are not surprised to hear that the locals creased up their collective French faces and REFUSED to even try the food. Says it all really.
So you saw a TV programme a few years ago...

Meanwhile there are hundreds of thousands of British people actually out there making a living in Europe not crying over a daytime TV programme that was mean to British food, which lets face it isn't as strong as some other national cuisines in Europe by any objective measure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 11:15 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,299,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
This is pure nonsense. Why produce the strawman situation of starting at zero. We are not at zero, we are way ahead of zero with our current EU arrangements so there is no comparison to countries that were forced to start from zero. What we are going to do with a car crash brexit is to change from being way ahead of zero towards going back to zero which is a very different prospect.
If you'd kept up, you'd know why I'm pointing this out.

In 30 years South Korea went from zero to the fastest growing GDP in the world. The UK won't reset to zero, but its credible that within that same period the UK could have the fastest growing GDP in the world. It's not impossible, and the only limitation is ourselves.

It cannot achieve that within the EU due to multiple drag factors from under performing economies, to over restrictive regulations.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:19 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,299,621 times
[quote=MnM258;55933568]So you saw a TV programme a few years ago...

Meanwhile there are hundreds of thousands of British people actually out there making a living in Europe not crying over a daytime TV programme that was mean to British food, which lets face it isn't as strong as some other national cuisines in Europe by any objective measure.[/QUOTE]

Can you present your objective measures, I mean specific numerical data that can be objectively evaluated comparing UK cuisine and say French that proves objectively French is stronger by an objective measure of flavor? You did say any measure did you not?

Old 08-14-2019, 12:06 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,814,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
And without being truculent

You already trade with 90% of the world on better terms than you could possibly negotiate alone given the buying and negotiating power as a group.

Nobody's looking down their noses at the UK.

The UK decides if it wants the rules and regulations by voting for them, nothing is forced upon you.

The only fast deal on offer would be with the USA and that depends on the Irish border so its unlikely, but if a deal was agreed you can only imagine how bad it would be for the UK.

The US would hold all the cards against a belittled desperate UK with nothing to offer.

It would be a win win for the US though who want to weaken the EU.
When you say that the US wants to weaken the EU, what is this based on? Have you traveled around the country and heard this from people all around the country?

Old 08-14-2019, 12:55 PM

1,129 posts, read 472,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
When you say that the US wants to weaken the EU, what is this based on? Have you traveled around the country and heard this from people all around the country?
It’s based on Trump threatening a trade war with Europe and with the expectation of tariffs starting as soon as November https://www.politico.eu/article/euro...ump-trade-war/

It’s in the interest of the US government for a weaker Europe giving the US the upper hand in any new negotiations.

This isn’t anything to do with the American people, it’s just politics.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:28 PM

35,410 posts, read 17,327,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

In 30 years South Korea went from zero to the fastest growing GDP in the world. The UK won't reset to zero, but its credible that within that same period the UK could have the fastest growing GDP in the world. It's not impossible, and the only limitation is ourselves.

It cannot achieve that within the EU due to multiple drag factors from under performing economies, to over restrictive regulations.
I totally agree. I don't see what benefit Britain has by carrying Greece and Italy.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

South Korea was about as poor as it gets in 1960, even getting a few basics of governance right would result in big improvements from there. It also had a rapidly expanding workforce through demographic shifts and an authoritarian government system that could push through GDP growth without the need to worry about civil society, human rights, democratic elections etc.

The UK is already developed, the demographics are an aging society and the government can't just push through things like that disregarding individual rights due to being a democracy so I really don't see any case that would suggest the UK could achieve those sort of South Korean 1970-1995 growth rates, and no serious economist suggests that could be the case, you are simply clutching at Unicorns there.

This narrative of 'anything is possible, you just need to believe!' that we hear from some of the Brexit camp is naive to say the least. Far from being 'credible' it's entirely 'incredible' that you would suggest this is likely to happen at the same time as severely weakening trade links with many of our closest partners.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:05 PM

[quote=Gungnir;55933942]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
So you saw a TV programme a few years ago...

Meanwhile there are hundreds of thousands of British people actually out there making a living in Europe not crying over a daytime TV programme that was mean to British food, which lets face it isn't as strong as some other national cuisines in Europe by any objective measure.[/QUOTE]

Can you present your objective measures, I mean specific numerical data that can be objectively evaluated comparing UK cuisine and say French that proves objectively French is stronger by an objective measure of flavor? You did say any measure did you not?
Number of Michelin star restaurants? Number of tourists saying they are going for the cuisine? I mean c'mon are you actually being serious here? Anybody with any experience of both cuisines from the two countries would say that French is stronger in regional variety, produce, and development of the indigenous cuisine into higher forms.

You would have to be very obtuse to argue the opposite and this comes from somebody who is a fan of developing British cuisine which I think is underrated. The history of the UK with early industrialisation cutting people off from the land (enclosures movement, industrial revolution etc) plus reliance on colonial imports during the empire era, then WWII rationing etc plus the obvious climatic disadvantages compared with further south all mean that British cuisine is not as well developed or varied as French, Italian, Spanish etc cuisines. There is no shame in accepting that, it's just a fact.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I totally agree. I don't see what benefit Britain has by carrying Greece and Italy.
Do you know the proportion of UK GDP that goes towards 'carrying Greece and Italy' each year? It is peanuts, and Italy indeed is a net contributor to the EU budget so really none of the UK GDP goes towards supporting Italy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48256318

Old 08-14-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I don't suppose the regular US citizen thinks much about it, but at a strategic level in the US federal government I think there is a notion that a united EU presenting one front for its interests is not welcome as it's better for the US to have multiple small countries acting alone that can be more easily moulded to support US interests by playing one off against another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom