Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 03:44 PM

7,864 posts, read 10,349,454 times

Advertisements

I'm tired of brits expecting our ( Irish) government to put the interests of the UK ahead of our own

It's the stupidity of it that's more tiring than the arrogance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 05:37 PM

6,066 posts, read 6,036,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan's Alter Ego View Post
You voted for leave and you're tired of hearing about the backstop???
Imagine how the people who voted to remain which wouldn't need a backstop feel.
You inflicted it on them, and now you're looking for someone else to blame?
A ~!@#$%^&* break give me.
And isn't that the crux of the issue. No idea why those that voted for exiting should feel the ire and seek blame elsewhere when with a little thought little else could be realistically expected.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:52 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
The remainers are in panic mode! These are desperate tactics. Go on Boris......... we're nearly there!!

Old 08-18-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
I'm tired of brits expecting our ( Irish) government to put the interests of the UK ahead of our own

It's the stupidity of it that's more tiring than the arrogance
We don't expect the Irish government to put the interests of the UK ahead of it's own. If they did, the next time would be the first time.

Go on......... put border controls up, supervised by the EU. We don't care. You do it..........

Good luck.......

Old 08-18-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Luckily that cardboard tasting baguette that I sometimes purchased in in England, didn't put me off English food in general.
As for English fish and chips best give that Mickeys chain a miss in London. (if still in existence)
Never been in a Mickey's chain. Best fish and chips to be had, are in Cleveleys, next door to Blackpool. The Moby and chips in 'Cleveley's Kitchen' is food of the gods.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:24 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,814,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
We don't expect the Irish government to put the interests of the UK ahead of it's own. If they did, the next time would be the first time.

Go on......... put border controls up, supervised by the EU. We don't care. You do it..........

Good luck.......
Y'know, Dave, back in the 60s, I remember going to Canada twice. There were men in booths who said hello, then asked if we were US citizens. Then they said have a nice trip and asked if we needed directions. It's not that way anymore. Maybe the Canadians got sick of our draft dodgers during the Vietnam War.

Let the EU set up border crossings, if they want to. I'm inclined to think that listening to the Swiss is the way to go.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Y'know, Dave, back in the 60s, I remember going to Canada twice. There were men in booths who said hello, then asked if we were US citizens. Then they said have a nice trip and asked if we needed directions. It's not that way anymore. Maybe the Canadians got sick of our draft dodgers during the Vietnam War.

Let the EU set up border crossings, if they want to. I'm inclined to think that listening to the Swiss is the way to go.
I totally agree. The EU wants a border, ok then, do it. Not much time left now, we need to get ready as best we can.

Politicians like Phillip Hammond can leak all the documents they want. We will prevail, and leave this cursed club.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
The remainers are in panic mode! These are desperate tactics. Go on Boris......... we're nearly there!!
Quite the reverse. Nearly there? Where might that be? Even Exiters have not the foggiest idea.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:29 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,814,543 times
Quote:
I totally agree. The EU wants a border, ok then, do it. Not much time left now, we need to get ready as best we can.

Politicians like Phillip Hammond can leak all the documents they want. We will prevail, and leave this cursed club.
I thought that the Swiss suggestion sounded fine. Really, who cares if some individual buys a little item and comes through. The big items that actually make a difference are going to arrive via train, plane, or ship. They can be handled much differently than by plopping a booth in the road.

Maybe the EU is afraid of Irish residents smuggling in American clorinated chickens. Which brings back my little tale of the first head of Lidl US.

The man was from Ireland, and he thought that it was a grand and glorious idea to bring in fresh organic grass-fed beef from Ireland. Because it was fresh, it had to be flown over. It priced out at $19.99 a pound. No one was buying it. We could have gotten filet mignon for far less money.

I've got no clue what made the man think that importing the fresh beef from Ireland was a good idea. It was a terrible idea. In the same vein, the price of fresh chicken from the US will be just as cost prohibitive. It ain't going to show up on the shelves in the UK.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:

It'll take more than rhetoric and reading tabloid spin, and even the fraternity of outers on this thread I'm afraid to be a success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom