Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 11:33 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,686,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan's Alter Ego View Post
That's the spirit. Never be happy!
Lol. Welcome to the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 03:12 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,530,373 times
It's interesting to note that with the chance of a Brexit deal rising those opponents of a No Deal are now beginning to show their true colours of being totally opposed to any deal.
Should Boris pull off an agreement AND keep the DUP onside it will be hell of a stroke.
And make the next end election very interesting.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:38 PM

391 posts, read 197,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
It's interesting to note that with the chance of a Brexit deal rising those opponents of a No Deal are now beginning to show their true colours of being totally opposed to any deal.
Should Boris pull off an agreement AND keep the DUP onside it will be hell of a stroke.
And make the next end election very interesting.
Can you give some specific examples?

Old 10-13-2019, 10:05 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,530,373 times
Quote:
Can you give some specific examples?
Yes, most of the Labour Party front bench.
Having spent the past year telling us parliament holds primacy over any referendum, they're now frantically reversing and shouting at anyone who will listen that a second referendum must take precedence over any deal agreed by parliament.
It's why they're going to be destroyed in the next election.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Yes, most of the Labour Party front bench.
Having spent the past year telling us parliament holds primacy over any referendum, they're now frantically reversing and shouting at anyone who will listen that a second referendum must take precedence over any deal agreed by parliament.
It's why they're going to be destroyed in the next election.
Context is everything. When circumstances change........

BoJo just did a major U turn on the N.I. border issue. Goose/Gander etc.......

Old 10-14-2019, 11:21 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,299,621 times
Quote:
Context is everything. When circumstances change........

BoJo just did a major U turn on the N.I. border issue. Goose/Gander etc.......
Wouldn't that be possibly contextual?

If NI stays in the single market area for a fixed period or less depending on harmonization and trade agreements, then the U-Turn isn't a U-Turn. The issue with the NI backstop was it was indefinite pending regulation harmonization and trade agreement.

An indefinite period is way different to a fixed term. It also provides motivation to come to agreement prior to its expiry, rather than kicking it down the road because its inconvenient at no risk.

Old 10-14-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Wouldn't that be possibly contextual?

If NI stays in the single market area for a fixed period or less depending on harmonization and trade agreements, then the U-Turn isn't a U-Turn. The issue with the NI backstop was it was indefinite pending regulation harmonization and trade agreement.

An indefinite period is way different to a fixed term. It also provides motivation to come to agreement prior to its expiry, rather than kicking it down the road because its inconvenient at no risk.
Yes, in so far as BoJo changed the context with his U turn. Not sure I understand your point. Wouldn't "what" (exactly) be possibly contextual?"If" is not contextual, "if" is hypothetical.
Not sure, but I think the one party (DUP) veto is also gone.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:12 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,299,621 times
Quote:
Yes, in so far as BoJo changed the context with his U turn. Not sure I understand your point. Wouldn't "what" (exactly) be possibly contextual?"If" is not contextual, "if" is hypothetical.
Not sure, but I think the one party (DUP) veto is also gone.
The U-turn would not be a U-turn if NI remains part of the customs union for a fixed term or shorter. The primary contention of the backstop, was its indeterminacy. Therefore without the indeterminate nature of NI being in the customs union in the original EU agreement, the U-turn isn't a U-turn since it's an entirely different context.

I thought this was pretty obvious, since I was pointing out the U-turn claim depended on context, and as you said context is everything.

Old 10-14-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
The U-turn would not be a U-turn if NI remains part of the customs union for a fixed term or shorter. The primary contention of the backstop, was its indeterminacy. Therefore without the indeterminate nature of NI being in the customs union in the original EU agreement, the U-turn isn't a U-turn since it's an entirely different context.

I thought this was pretty obvious, since I was pointing out the U-turn claim depended on context, and as you said context is everything.

I remind you again "if" is hypothetical. Neither Roscoe or me used the term. You introduced it. I disagree with your contention that the primary stumbling block for the backstop is it's indeterminacy. There are many points of contention, (see Politico quote) hard to say which has primacy, plus the Unionists are threatening to peel away.

From Politico:

Quote:
The microwave meal conundrum: The Guardian’s Jennifer Rankin captures the problem neatly in her own Twitter thread on last night’s briefing. What if, EU officials are asking, “chicken (chlorinated perhaps) is imported into NI and then made into ready meals that are sold in the EU market. In this case, how do you make [a] distinction between goods entitled to enter the EU market and those that are not?” Anyone have a solution to that one by October 31?
Without a clear exit strategy, "If" can be problematic,

Old 10-15-2019, 04:13 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,054,854 times
in a weird way this may fit in here:

https://www.businessinsider.com/bulg...layers-2019-10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom