Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 05:23 AM

411 posts, read 418,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Why would turning the country into a hellhole be 'the best outcome'? Surely that would be the worst outcome?
Where's the evidence that it would become more of hellhole than it already is?

Sometimes you have to destroy in order to regenerate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 05:25 AM

27,529 posts, read 13,741,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOnions View Post

An agreement will be done but not until the last moment as the EU are trying to hold out in terms of this nonsense, however The solution is clearly a bilateral agreement coupled with the use of technology where paperwork can be carried out on-line before goods reach the border.

Furthermore Greg Hands has just published a 272 page 'Alternative Arrangements' report, which deals with how alternatives to the backstop can be implimented.

Greg Hands: Brussels needs to see the logic of Alternative Arrangements - London Evening Standard

Even George Galloway who I usually have no time for is actually talking some sense on this issue.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:41 AM

1,877 posts, read 682,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOnions View Post

It doesn't seem like a hellhole to me, I think it's a nice place to live personally.

But if it was so unattractive that nobody wanted to come here then that would seem to indicate that it would be worse than it is now.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:14 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
It doesn't seem like a hellhole to me, I think it's a nice place to live personally.

But if it was so unattractive that nobody wanted to come here then that would seem to indicate that it would be worse than it is now.
It all depends where you live. There are some wonderful places in this country of ours. Trouble is, the well off and rich have taken most of it for themselves. Anywhere that is 'nice' is extremely expensive. So expensive that local people are driven out by high property prices.

If immigration isn't curbed, it will just get worse as the years pass. The worse it gets, the more people who think they have nothing to lose, by tearing the whole house down. As in - a hellhole.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:34 AM

1,129 posts, read 472,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
It all depends where you live. There are some wonderful places in this country of ours. Trouble is, the well off and rich have taken most of it for themselves. Anywhere that is 'nice' is extremely expensive. So expensive that local people are driven out by high property prices.

If immigration isn't curbed, it will just get worse as the years pass. The worse it gets, the more people who think they have nothing to lose, by tearing the whole house down. As in - a hellhole.

Welcome to the real world.

This is same in every country in the world, people pay to live in nice areas, its simple supply and demand.

If an areas nice the price will keep going up attracting more people who will pay higher prices to live there.

You should vote for Corbyn if you want free houses for all and everyone has the same no matter what they contribute.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
Welcome to the real world.

This is same in every country in the world, people pay to live in nice areas, its simple supply and demand.

If an areas nice the price will keep going up attracting more people who will pay higher prices to live there.

You should vote for Corbyn if you want free houses for all and everyone has the same no matter what they contribute.
Yes, so everywhere 'nice' goes to the well off. The rest scramble round as best they can. We, in our nice homes, bought at much more realistic prices decades ago, can chose to sit back, and say to the struggling young, 'tough ****.' I don't chose to do so, which is why I voted for Brexit.

You know my opinion of Corbyn. He would build all right. At the same time remain in the EU, so immigrants would keep coming to take the new housing. What would be the end result of this in 20, 30 years? What sort of population would we have by then? It has to be curbed, by whatever means necessary.

If politicians don't listen, then eventually we will see a far right wing government in this country, never seen before. Ordinary folks will only take so much of foreigner's needs, coming before their's.

You keep sunning yourself abroad britinspain, and don't concern yourself with life in the old country.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Yes, so everywhere 'nice' goes to the well off. The rest scramble round as best they can. We, in our nice homes, bought at much more realistic prices decades ago, can chose to sit back, and say to the struggling young, 'tough ****.' I don't chose to do so, which is why I voted for Brexit.

You know my opinion of Corbyn. He would build all right. At the same time remain in the EU, so immigrants would keep coming to take the new housing. What would be the end result of this in 20, 30 years? What sort of population would we have by then? It has to be curbed, by whatever means necessary.

If politicians don't listen, then eventually we will see a far right wing government in this country, never seen before. Ordinary folks will only take so much of foreigner's needs, coming before their's.

You keep sunning yourself abroad britinspain, and don't concern yourself with life in the old country.
I don't know what you expect to be honest

The world isn't going to change with Brexit, this is how the world works and it should work this way ?

People have to have a reason to work hard and better themselves.

And regarding sunning myself, I've been at work seven days a week, twelve hours a day for the last 2 months so your tans probably better than mine....

Last edited by britinspain; 08-22-2019 at 07:09 AM..

Old 08-22-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
I don't know what you expect to be honest

The world isn't going to change with Brexit, this is how the world works and it should work this way ?

People have to have a reason to work hard and better themselves.
Yes, but back in my time, an ordinary guy could work hard and better himself. A good house was within reach, unlike today except for the well off.

There are too many people in this country, and not enough decent housing for many, no matter how hard they try. You seem to feel that's the way it should be. I don't.

I have been amazed at what I have seen this last year, as I have had treatment first at my local hospital, and more recently, Christie's hospital in Manchester.

You think eastern European's, and refugee's should get very expensive treatment at Christie's? Folks can just come here, from poor countries like Romania, and their granny can get treatment, and even an interpreter, at this massively expensive to run hospital? You think this is right and just? Well, I don't. We need to look after our own. It's about time.

The only way to regain control of our borders is to leave the EU. Once that's sorted, find out why the world and his mother is allowed to come to my country. It needs sorting out, once and for all.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Yes, but back in my time, an ordinary guy could work hard and better himself. A good house was within reach, unlike today except for the well off.

There are too many people in this country, and not enough decent housing for many, no matter how hard they try. You seem to feel that's the way it should be. I don't.

I have been amazed at what I have seen this last year, as I have had treatment first at my local hospital, and more recently, Christie's hospital in Manchester.

You think eastern European's, and refugee's should get very expensive treatment at Christie's? Folks can just come here, from poor countries like Romania, and their granny can get treatment, and even an interpreter, at this massively expensive to run hospital? You think this is right and just? Well, I don't. We need to look after our own. It's about time.

The only way to regain control of our borders is to leave the EU. Once that's sorted, find out why the world and his mother is allowed to come to my country. It needs sorting out, once and for all.
People have always struggled to provide for their families this generations better off than any before it.

There are always those that need help and any decent society should help those that can't help themselves

People do not come to Spain or Germany or France the way they do to the UK that's for sure, they can but don't because they wont get much without contributing

is that the EU's fault ?

No it's the lax UK's social policy of giving out handout's.

If there is a civil war it would be the rich being fed up of carrying the can't be arsed

Old 08-22-2019, 07:36 AM

1,877 posts, read 682,425 times
All the UK has to do if it thinks that non-contributors getting access to the NHS is a problem is to say that you only get access to the NHS if you have paid say 2 years worth of national insurance contributions in the last 4 years or something like that, for children and pensioners the criteria can be based on residency for a minimum period instead as they won't be paying NI. That's perfectly possible within the EU rules, in fact most countries in the EU have some sort of contribution criteria for accessing healthcare services.

No reason at all to throw the baby out with the bathwater when it is 100% within the UK's power to fix this while still being a member of the EU.

With economic stagnation and a less welcoming environment for foreign doctors and other healthcare staff after Brexit the NHS won't be able to provide as much as it does now anyway, you need a strong economy to generate the tax receipts to pay for the NHS. Brexiteers say they don't care about the economic impact and job losses, which effectively means they don't care if there's less money to go to the NHS, those things are directly linked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom