Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 07:26 AM

1,877 posts, read 682,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Come back to us around midnight tonight and tell us again if the reality has moved ...
Sure, we shall soon see if the parties favouring a hard no deal Brexit win over 50% of the vote or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 09:00 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,530,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Sure, we shall soon see if the parties favouring a hard no deal Brexit win over 50% of the vote or not.
But it's not a referendum it's an election.
You know,with lots of different candidates standing for different parties on different issues.
Some of them even have manifestos ...

Old 05-26-2019, 09:01 AM

You remember when Airbus kicked up a fuss about pulling out the UK in the event of a Hard Brexit .... ?

http://www.euractiv.com/section/avia...rexit-outcome/

Project Fear fails again.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:30 AM

1,129 posts, read 472,935 times
Quote:
Precisely the language of dictators and despots - and that includes the EU.
You must have a very low opinion of your countrymen and women.
I don't.
I think they've weighed up all the options and think,on balance,that while a deal would be preferable if the EU don't wish to engage in proper discussions then No Deal is acceptable.
I have a pretty low expectations of everyone until they prove otherwise

Old 05-26-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
I have a pretty low expectations of everyone until they prove otherwise
It's a common trait amongst Remainers,I have found.
Leavers tend to be far more optimistic and open-minded.
Will you be staying up late in the Gammon Arms tonight watching the results ?

Old 05-26-2019, 12:27 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,089,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
We’ve already had a referendum, which Leave won.

But now you expect over 50% to vote again, for a “hard no deal Brexit”? How about you becoming a gracious loser, and accept the referendum results from three year’s ago?

And before you say it, I doubt people have changed their minds about how they voted (just) three year’s ago. I certainly haven’t changed my mind. I will vote Leave and the Brexit Party over and over again, until we do actually leave properly - I’m more determined than ever!

In fact, I was the only person at my Polling Station, when I went on Thursday! But I will NEVER change my mind about leaving the EU!

Old 05-26-2019, 12:39 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,299,621 times
Quote:
The majority in favour of leaving was way too small to cause the economic damage to so many people across the UK to change the status quo.

And yes the public need protecting from themselves, remainers in the Conservative party know this too and will ultimately push for a general election if needed to avoid a no deal scenario should Boris bumble into number 10.
You don't know whether staying will cause more or less damage long term, than leaving. It's pure speculation that it's in the UKs best long term interests to stay in the EU.

However I have my answer to my question implicitly.

Both you and your compatriot don't like the result, and therefore want a mulligan.

Further who are you to protect anyone from themselves? Who died and made you king? Or did you not really think I through the ultimate conclusion of your statement?

Old 05-26-2019, 01:14 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,089,805 times
Quote:
The majority in favour of leaving was way too small to cause the economic damage to so many people across the UK to change the status quo.

And yes the public need protecting from themselves, remainers in the Conservative party know this too and will ultimately push for a general election if needed to avoid a no deal scenario should Boris bumble into number 10.
Remainers use the same arguments all of the time. A classic one, is the one you’ve stated - that the majority for leaving was too small.

The problem is, that the results are often given to us in a percentage form. So, of course, 52% doesn’t look much more than 48%.

But in reality, when we look at the actual voting figures - 1,269,501 more people voted for Leave, than they did for Remain. That’s almost half the population of Wales!!

Oh, and why do I need protecting from myself?! I knew exactly what I was voting for. The UK has been in the EU for the majority of my life - I’ve had many years to notice how crap they are!

Old 05-26-2019, 01:18 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,814,543 times
Quote:

I'm guessing that you've spent enough time in the US to have heard this as it pertains to elections: If you don't vote, you have no right to complain.

Old 05-26-2019, 04:17 PM

1,129 posts, read 472,935 times
Quote:
It's a common trait amongst Remainers,I have found.
Leavers tend to be far more optimistic and open-minded.
Will you be staying up late in the Gammon Arms tonight watching the results ?
Going backwards isnt being optimistic in my book.

I'm watching the results on my phone, I'm traveling back from the US tonight and currently on my way to Miami so no Gammon Arms for me, have one for me though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom