Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2019, 10:54 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,680,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
It is funny how we can all look at the same facts and take from it what we want.

Depending on your point of view you will see yesterdays vote an overwhelming landslide for the Brexit party and verification that the UK by majority want to leave with no deal.

On the other side you see the result showing a substantial majority want to remain at all costs and verification for a people's vote or to cancel article 50 all together.

One things for sure though, we'll see plenty more posts to come on this thread.
Lol. I created a bit of a monster me thinks. Well, we Yanks are good for something.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 10:59 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,076,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Comical Ali Campbell - Blair's Spin Liar - has been touring the TV studios spouting this nonsense about adding up all the losing votes to make Remain winners.

He's including the entire Labour vote as being Remain.

The efforts to deny this remarkable victory by Nigel Farage,critically wounding the Tory party and inflicting huge damage on labour,are very droll to watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
It sure is droll to watch. They're twisting in the wind, looking for any light at the end of the tunnel...

A political party, six weeks old, has tore them to pieces.

The Liberals are screeching in delight, at yet another comeback. They've been having them my whole life. Next they'll be saying 'PREPARE FOR GOVERNMENT' like Jeremy Thorpe did once.

Now for the fun of watching the Tory beauty contestant entrants trying to be the toughest Brexiteer of them all.
The Remainers seem to be clutching at straws. They are putting all sorts of spin on the Remain parties’ results... completely ignoring how well Nigel and the Brexit Party did.

It was like that on the BBC results last night. Most of the time, they would cut off the Brexit Party winner, just as they were about to do a speech. Then they would return to the studio to discuss how well the Lib Dems and Greens were doing!

Old 05-27-2019, 11:00 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,447,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Lol. I created a bit of a monster me thinks. Well, we Yanks are good for something.
We like to discuss subjects here in the UK thread thoroughly. Takes years sometimes. Look at the Irish thread........

Old 05-27-2019, 11:02 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,680,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
It is not being ignored at all, the country as it stands is still leaving the EU.

The referendum was advisory which did not need to be enacted. Also, this is the prime point:
The 2016 referendum was a wild gambling 2015 election stunt by Cameron to gain power, putting himself and the Tory party above the long term interests of the nation. Apart from a few pensioners, no one was crying out to leave the EU.
For that alone it should have been ignored.

An election stunt has been allowed to snowball out of control.
At least your election stunt didn’t become president.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:03 AM

1,877 posts, read 680,606 times
Farage is pretty much the only winning candidate I remember them showing the speech for. It's not any great conspiracy, the Brexit Party did well and that was mentioned many many times in the coverage, but it wasn't the only story of the night and they mentioned those too.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:24 AM

14,823 posts, read 12,070,837 times
This is getting ridiculous! The UK voted to leave the EURO and the government REFUSE to act on the democratic vote! WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE A DEMOCRATIC COUNTRY!! If the government still refuse to act on the vote I swear to god I would be prepared to go to war! We must fight for our democracy!!

Old 05-27-2019, 11:26 AM

1,877 posts, read 680,606 times
I think maybe people have changed their minds since the referendum though, I don't think most people want Brexit now so it's probably best to check in another vote just to make sure.

Old 05-27-2019, 12:03 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,288,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
I think maybe people have changed their minds since the referendum though, I don't think most people want Brexit now so it's probably best to check in another vote just to make sure.
Sure thing, I mean every general election we transfer control of the UKs nuclear deterrent to the incoming PM. That's a little more serious a circumstance than whether or not we're part of a trade bloc. So if the incumbent loses, let's have another election, cant be too careful, the incoming PM might Nuke Moscow or Beijing, or Pyongyang, it's certainly a possibility, and you'd agree that launching nukes is a more serious issue than staying or leaving the EU.

So if that's so, you'd agree the incumbent government gets a mulligan if it loses once, just to ensure safe keeping of something that in theory may kill around 53% of the UK population conservatively in reprisal.

Or if not, then why have a second referendum for a less serious issue?

Old 05-27-2019, 12:48 PM

1,129 posts, read 471,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Sure thing, I mean every general election we transfer control of the UKs nuclear deterrent to the incoming PM. That's a little more serious a circumstance than whether or not we're part of a trade bloc. So if the incumbent loses, let's have another election, cant be too careful, the incoming PM might Nuke Moscow or Beijing, or Pyongyang, it's certainly a possibility, and you'd agree that launching nukes is a more serious issue than staying or leaving the EU.

So if that's so, you'd agree the incumbent government gets a mulligan if it loses once, just to ensure safe keeping of something that in theory may kill around 53% of the UK population conservatively in reprisal.

Or if not, then why have a second referendum for a less serious issue?

Brexit is a much greater threat to the UK than the extremely low possibility of any nuclear war

And any PM would need cabinets consent to launch any such strike, given that it's taken 3 years to come up with absolutely nothing on Brexit, I dread to think how a UK government would react to any nuclear attack

Old 05-27-2019, 01:21 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,288,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
Brexit is a much greater threat to the UK than the extremely low possibility of any nuclear war

And any PM would need cabinets consent to launch any such strike, given that it's taken 3 years to come up with absolutely nothing on Brexit, I dread to think how a UK government would react to any nuclear attack
You kidding me?

Not only are you cool with suppressing people's ability to take part in the political process, you think that 53% of the UKs population dying in hours is less a threat than leaving the EU.

Hey look a rogue PM doing the unthinkable is at least as big, if not a greater risk than the UK leaving the EU.

Seriously man, you really need to stop and consider your priorities. Or, maybe, you just need to stop and consider what you're really demanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom