Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 05:59 AM

4,708 posts, read 5,093,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
If the result of a second referendum will not break the deadlock why keep proposing it?
If a second referendum voted remain then it is over once the results are announced.
Quote:
Do you understand the concept that both major parties agreed that the first referendum was binding, sure it was scheduled as advisory, but both Labour and Tories agreed that they would respect the decision
It was legally not binding. They said they would respect the decision after the result. Also many other parties never agreed to that, who make up a substantial percentage.

BTW, Corbyn wants to leave because the EU is not based on the quality of life and standard of living of the people in the EU, being focused on money (mainly private profits). They will not budge on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
The pressure on housing alone is unsustainable.
Relaxation of the ridiculous planning laws with Land Value Taxation introduction will solve that.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:22 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,299,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
If a second referendum voted remain then it is over once the results are announced.
Bull ********.

If a 4% spread is not definitive enough for a result, the same spread cannot be sufficient to definitively state the opposite result.

That said the statement is of little surprise, since the entire focus is just to erase a result some did not like. That's the entire argument. You can twist logic, argue the result was not binding (but the government and opposition recognized it as binding, so that's just more BS), and opine that 52% is not enough to leave, but is enough to stay, and it's all just throwing the toys out of the pram that the result wasn't what you wanted and is just rationalization to force people to think the same way.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:29 AM

1,129 posts, read 472,935 times
Quote:
Bull ********.

If a 4% spread is not definitive enough for a result, the same spread cannot be sufficient to definitively state the opposite result.

That said the statement is of little surprise, since the entire focus is just to erase a result some did not like. That's the entire argument. You can twist logic, argue the result was not binding (but the government and opposition recognized it as binding, so that's just more BS), and opine that 52% is not enough to leave, but is enough to stay, and it's all just throwing the toys out of the pram that the result wasn't what you wanted and is just rationalization to force people to think the same way.
The conservatives and Labour obviously believed the rubbish fed to the public by Farage and Boris at the referendum and seeing as it was going to be the easiest deal in history, making it binding obviously wasn't going to be an issue.

Sadly the facts have proved rather different.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:44 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,530,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
You're correct

I've also stated it doesn't make one jot of difference to my life, it doesn't

You are also correct that I've been incredibly fortunate, partly because of the EU in the first place, I've had incredible opportunities, many wouldn't have been open to me had the doors been closed the way would like, and I want the same opportunities for other people, hence my input on this debate
You bring back memories ....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzNyv6OdZuo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Kum8OUTuk

Old 05-28-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Bull ********.
It depends on what conditions they put on the referendum, binding, not binding, more than 2/3 to leave, etc. If it is the same as the 2016 vote, then Remain wins, it is over instantly.

T. May can ignore the vote right now if she wants to. Over.
Corbyn has come down on a:
  1. General election ASAP;
  2. Second referendum once a deal has been agreed with the EU, then a vote on the deal.

Last edited by John-UK; 05-28-2019 at 07:10 AM..

Old 05-28-2019, 07:02 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,299,621 times
Quote:
The conservatives and Labour obviously believed the rubbish fed to the public by Farage and Boris at the referendum and seeing as it was going to be the easiest deal in history, making it binding obviously wasn't going to be an issue.

Sadly the facts have proved rather different.
So what you're saying is.

The public was conned.
The Tories were conned.
Labour was conned.

They all completely bought into the easy deal, and it didn't happen. Now you honestly think these saps have the mental capacity to properly analyze the way to remain and not have the UK government collapse. Are you in fact a comedian?

Then we have 3 people on this thread who claim they saw through the fraud, and they're right, and everyone else was wrong? Superiority complex much? You're wrong of course I never thought it was an easy deal, less so because a bunch of panty wetters bawled about removing no deal, which is just mind blowing naive.

If you're right, then how do we know that remaining is any less a con? That what we return to is what we left? Because all of Europe is painfully aware we tried to leave, got scared of the unknown and crawled back. So why would they not use that to their advantage? I would in their situation.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:23 AM

1,129 posts, read 472,935 times
Quote:
So what you're saying is.

The public was conned.
The Tories were conned.
Labour was conned.

They all completely bought into the easy deal, and it didn't happen. Now you honestly think these saps have the mental capacity to properly analyze the way to remain and not have the UK government collapse. Are you in fact a comedian?

Then we have 3 people on this thread who claim they saw through the fraud, and they're right, and everyone else was wrong? Superiority complex much? You're wrong of course I never thought it was an easy deal, less so because a bunch of panty wetters bawled about removing no deal, which is just mind blowing naive.

If you're right, then how do we know that remaining is any less a con? That what we return to is what we left? Because all of Europe is painfully aware we tried to leave, got scared of the unknown and crawled back. So why would they not use that to their advantage? I would in their situation.

A lot of people bought into the crap being spouted, many on here still believe it.

If the government wanted to walk away without a deal it would have happened by now, they don´t and won´t endorse it.

The remainers in parliament have already stated they would rather collapse the government than let a no deal scenario go through, you see them as traitors I see them as realistic and acting to protect the UK from terrible self harm.

Plenty of people here have bought into the negativity and the us and them mentality, with nothing to back up their hatred for the EU !

The EU is a great scapegoat for whatever you dont like in society.

The EU is a great idea and yes isn't perfect but better than no EU at all, there are many countries around the world would love to see it fail and they are very active in the media/facebook twisting the knife wherever they can spreading lies to incite anger and resentment, with Brexit they've hit the jackpot !

The EU wants the UK to stay a member but isn't punishing it in the way being portrayed here, you want to leave, leave, you want to stay, stay but dont say the EU is being nasty by sticking to the rules implemented mainly by the UK in the first place.

All the Europeans I speak to are totally confused by the negativity of Brexit

Old 05-28-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
The EU is a great idea and yes isn't perfect but better than no EU at all,
Look at the carnage of WW2. The EU has prevented that reoccurring in Europe.
The EU is not perfect, still evolving. If the UK stays in the EU it will be a big wake up call for the EU having to be more flexible and open to change and more democracy. However that is rather a side issue to the current situation.
Of course, the USA and Russia would like the EU to disintegrate. Divide and rule.

Last edited by John-UK; 05-28-2019 at 08:50 AM..

Old 05-28-2019, 07:41 AM

5,423 posts, read 3,637,023 times
we don't rerun elections 3 years after we held them just because one side dosent like the result, we'd be for ever holding elections if we did. so why should we rerun the referendum just because you and others don't like the result, anyway it would be worded so that remain won seeing as most MP's are remainers anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom