Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 08:35 AM

27,317 posts, read 13,579,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan's Alter Ego View Post
Gonna need more than a simplified customs procedure, and border tech.
From today's Politico......

FREIGHT FRIGHT: The leak came as a bolt out of the blue for one of the most important industry associations preparing for a no-deal scenario. Speaking to Playbook, James Hookham, deputy chief executive of the Freight Transport Association (FTA), said that some of the reported Operation Yellowhammer scenarios pointed to something “far, far more potentially disruptive” than his organization had been told to prepare for, and he’s now calling for urgent clarification on what the government predicts the impact of no deal will be for moving goods into and around the U.K.

Fuel shortage risk: The FTA was particularly blindsided by the suggestion the government’s own no-deal zero-tariff policy could hit the U.K.’s domestic fuel industry, leading to the closure of two refineries, strikes and disruption to fuel availability. Adding the caveat that the FTA had not been shown the original Yellowhammer document, Hookham said: “That really frightened me, because that’s clearly got the potential to disrupt all U.K. goods distribution activity and commercial activity, if the domestic fuel supplies are under threat. That’s certainly never been raised with us before.”

‘Shooting in the dark’: Hookham continues: “We’re calling for some kind of independent review of the evidence and the scenarios that the government’s using, just to get it all out on the table. What we’re feeling now is that we’re just shooting in the dark, we’re being asked to prepare for something that we don’t fully understand and that the government’s not prepared to share with us … All of a sudden this isn’t just queues at Dover … this could have a knock-on effect to all domestic goods distribution and that is orders of magnitude more than we were led to believe might happen.”

Open up: Any threat to fuel supplies would be a “game-changer,” Hookham said, and urged the government to be open about its expectations to help industry prepare. “What we want now is just some honesty and some clarity. How can we help to mitigate this if we don’t know what we’re trying to solve?”
Dover accounts for less than 6% of UK Trade and the French don't want to lose trade in relation to Calais and the vast majority of goods comne from across the world arrive via container ships. Even the head of the French port of Calais called the fear mongerering as 'C'est la bullsh**.

Yellowhammer has already largely been labelled nonsense and we have seen so many idiotic scare tactics throughout this process that have turned out to be nonsesne and Yellowhammer is leaked what again because it was already leaked in January under Theresa May. So every time Remainers want to leak something they leak something that has already been leaked and was a last resort ecenario under a previous administration that had nor=t prepared for Brexit propely, something which the current administration is now doing.

Brexit gets animal as Yellowhammer challenges Cobra - 27th January 2019

The biggest threat to the UK remains continuing in limbo rather than choosng a path of certainty.

Furthermore as already explained the EU could negotiate a bilateral agreement regarding Ireland similar to that with other countries and avoid the whole no deal scenario in the first place.

As for a trade deal that's the important part of all of this, and not the no deal leaving, if a transition period and trade deal can be sorted out then there is no need for any problems at all, and the final phase is future relations in terms of collaboration in a host of areas including defence and security and this may be depenent on a trade deal.

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-19-2019 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

8,278 posts, read 6,288,109 times
Quote:
That's called circular firing squad logic, and you're asking the EU to adopt it. Rightly, they're resisting. What in effect you're saying is, that because UK voters decided to end what they perceived to be a bad financial arrangement, the EU should award them a bonus on the way out.

The real problem is that UK voters bought the nominal financial argument, while simultaneously ignoring the value of the intangible benefits, and the chickens are now coming home.....
AKA, knowing the price of everything, and the value of nothing.......
I'm asking nothing. Im just stating facts. How is the EU looking out for their economic interests awarding a bonus to the UK? I don't understand that logic, but maybe it's the logic of Juncker and Barnier.

In simple terms, whether the UK is part of the EU, or not, economically the UK and EU are better off with an FTA.

Which would you prefer £50,000 with another £25,000 going to your hated ex wife, or nothing? Personally I'll take the £50 grand.

7,858 posts, read 10,309,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It dodn't.
Yes it did BNW!

Old 08-19-2019, 08:57 AM

27,317 posts, read 13,579,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
Yes it did BNW!
The backstop was Barniers idea, which he refused to compromise and negotiate on despite the fact it was never going to get through the British Parliament.

Even Theresa May tried to get reassurances and to get it changed but was just treat with contempt.

It's never going to get through the Houses of Parliament, and as things stand Ireland will suffer because of the EU stance of not negotiating.

Brexit: A brief history of the backstop - RTE

Old 08-19-2019, 09:54 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,747,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
No matter what nationality as he has chosen his side and should respond accordingly. As mentioned (not a trick question) the Swiss solution means okay to work across borders.
I'm a she, thanks. As a US citizen, I do not have a side. Are you a UK citizen?

I'm familiar with having land borders. We have them with Canada and Mexico. I'm also very much familiar with having an election result that half of the population doesn't like, in case you missed the fact that we have had that happen twice in less than 20 years. We have to wait for 4 years to revote at the next scheduled election. The Brexit election was billed as once in a lifetime. I'm fine with a revote in 70 or 80 years, not that my opinion counts.

Switzerland is landlocked. They are not in the EU. I think that they are excellent people to give advice about land borders with the EU.

There have been numerous posts from remainers about the horrors of importing US chicken. Maybe you aren't old enough to remember mad cow disease. Didn't create a problem in the US, because first, a ban came slamming down on European beef. Second, as I have stated, the cost of transporting fresh meat is cost prohibitive. Doesn't matter if it's meat or fowl, nobody's going to spend that much money. Period.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:19 AM

434 posts, read 248,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm a she, thanks. As a US cit
Switzerland is landlocked. They are not in the EU. I think that they are excellent people to give advice about land borders with the EU.
They also have a hard border so a no go.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:33 AM

391 posts, read 197,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I'm asking nothing. Im just stating facts. How is the EU looking out for their economic interests awarding a bonus to the UK? I don't understand that logic, but maybe it's the logic of Juncker and Barnier.

In simple terms, whether the UK is part of the EU, or not, economically the UK and EU are better off with an FTA.

Which would you prefer £50,000 with another £25,000 going to your hated ex wife, or nothing? Personally I'll take the £50 grand.

Of course you're asking....indirectly. In response to my question on why should the EU compromise you wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Because the UK has been one of the largest economies and trade deficit countries in the EU (they get more out of the UK, than the UK gets out of the EU), and it would be foolish economically to flush that down the pan. Further it would be foolish to create issues overflying UK controlled airspace, creating issues in regards to UK intelligence and defense, UK data networks even UK fisheries.

It's all a two way street.

It makes perfect economic sense to have a free trade agreement with the UK, with reciprocal standards, open skies, open networks, collaborative intelligence and defense. However not having that is not solely a failure of the UK, its equally a failure of the EU. Let's be Frank, the EU negotiators have never seemed to be interested in collaborating with the UK, that certainly is not the fault of the UK, and in essence is stupid kids games played in international politics. In the final analysis, I'd suspect that 100 years in the future, Brexit will be written as the big failure of the EU, not, the stupidity of the UK.
It's refreshing to see Brexiteers concern for EU welfare. There's still hope....

Old 08-19-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
The backstop was Barniers idea, which he refused to compromise and negotiate on despite the fact it was never going to get through the British Parliament.

Even Theresa May tried to get reassurances and to get it changed but was just treat with contempt.

It's never going to get through the Houses of Parliament, and as things stand Ireland will suffer because of the EU stance of not negotiating.

Brexit: A brief history of the backstop - RTE

Good article. Seems to me the EU birthed the backstop, and I can't say I blame them. The EU/Irish position re the UK is:

You've dumped on us once by voting out, and now you want us to sign a legal agreement, that says only that you promise not to dump on us again. Response: Sorry we need stronger language than that.
Once bitten, twice shy.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Dover accounts for less than 6% of UK Trade and the French don't want to lose trade in relation to Calais and the vast majority of goods comne from across the world arrive via container ships. Even the head of the French port of Calais called the fear mongerering as 'C'est la bullsh**.

Yellowhammer has already largely been labelled nonsense and we have seen so many idiotic scare tactics throughout this process that have turned out to be nonsesne and Yellowhammer is leaked what again because it was already leaked in January under Theresa May. So every time Remainers want to leak something they leak something that has already been leaked and was a last resort ecenario under a previous administration that had nor=t prepared for Brexit propely, something which the current administration is now doing.

Brexit gets animal as Yellowhammer challenges Cobra - 27th January 2019

The biggest threat to the UK remains continuing in limbo rather than choosng a path of certainty.

Furthermore as already explained the EU could negotiate a bilateral agreement regarding Ireland similar to that with other countries and avoid the whole no deal scenario in the first place.

As for a trade deal that's the important part of all of this, and not the no deal leaving, if a transition period and trade deal can be sorted out then there is no need for any problems at all, and the final phase is future relations in terms of collaboration in a host of areas including defence and security and this may be depenent on a trade deal.
You've completely taken your eye off the ball, and don't even see the internal contradictions in what I bolded.
The delays at Dover are only a small part of the problem. They will not be caused by the tractors and drivers, who'll get media attention, they'll be caused by the paperwork associated with the cargo, and that will be multiplied at Felixstowe, Thames, Harwich etc. There just won't be delayed drivers to interview.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:52 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,288,109 times
Quote:
Of course you're asking....indirectly. In response to my question on why should the EU compromise you wrote:

It's refreshing to see Brexiteers concern for EU welfare. There's still hope....
Don't bicker...

That said it was in response, look at my grammar, can you see any questions? It's a statement.

You asked why the EU should compromise, I provided an answer. It really is in the EUs best interests. Yet they have chosen to not compromise, and in effect cut off their nose to spite their face.

And the UK is the bad one...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom