Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 03:20 PM

391 posts, read 197,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
If you think Boris doesn't understand the nuances of the single market and customs union after years working in Brussels as a journalist and now, as Prime Minister, surrounded by the best advisors and civil servants in the country, you're a fool.

Do you honestly think he's going to slump in his chair because some simple fact known to everyone else but him has suddenly dawned on him in the middle of some imporatant negotiations then you're a deluded fool.

Boris may be many things but stupid he is not.
His career as a journo in Brussels was spent writing false narratives. Too much of that and it becomes difficult to separate fact from fiction. Remembering which lie you told to whom becomes problematic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 12:48 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,530,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan's Alter Ego View Post
His career as a journo in Brussels was spent writing false narratives. Too much of that and it becomes difficult to separate fact from fiction. Remembering which lie you told to whom becomes problematic.
Next you'll be telling me the limited circulation Telegraph was responsible for the whole Brexit uprising with millions of working class people pouring over Boris's column during their morning tea break.

Did you ever actually read any of his stuff or are you just following someone else's script ?

He was an exceptionally good Brussels correspondent who highlighted some of the more ludicrous facts about the EU behemoth, exposing its undemocratic and corrupt side.

Unlike most embedded Bussels hacks he didn't go native.

That's why they hate him so much.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:47 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,263,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glokta View Post
I thought you would be more concerned really.... a weak leader means that any kind of Brexit is far more likely to fail then back the UK goes to the waiting arms of the EU.
Boris is an asshat. The British will not keep him once Brexit is a done deed, he doesn't have the brains for what comes after and I really believe the British will look elsewhere for stable leadership. The Conservative party is in wobbly shape and its spasms won't help the situation. The Brits I hear talking are already talking in terms of buckling down, the clown show is over, etc. terms.

Old 09-21-2019, 02:07 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
I have a bad feeling an EU bone is going to be thrown to Boris. I believe there is quiet panic within the EU. Without our money pouring into their coffers, it is essentially bust. They desperately need the £38 billion payoff promised in the so called deal Theresa May brought back from Brussels. The EU mustn't have believed it's luck when she agreed to that, just a payoff for us daring to leave, no promises of a trade deal at all.

Even now, with the extensions so far, we are paying £1 billion per month to the EU. The deal they will offer will be essentially the same, but with some movement on the back stop. Hard to say what it would be, but something Boris may present as a victory to Parliament. Everybody is so fed up of all this, he may get it passed, just to bring this farce to an end.

No deal is the best way forward. Just break free of their regulations, and immediate regaining our fishing grounds around the UK. We need to take a bloody minded attitude to all this, as the French would in similar circumstances. The EU can't stand us as a nation. Just constant grumbling about EU rules, and their desire for ever closer unification. But they will put up with it, because they need our money. Once that stops, someone else has to pick up the tab. Well, it's time it wasn't us.

Out. Now.

Old 09-21-2019, 02:18 AM

434 posts, read 249,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Boris may be many things but stupid he is not.
He has offered no workable solution.... either there is no workable solution and he is stalling or he's an idiot.

Time will tell.

Old 09-21-2019, 03:23 AM

703 posts, read 448,151 times
Everything I've ever heard him spout has been bluster and bull****, with not a scrap of detail.
Perhaps his hidden talents emerge only at the negotiation table! I think not, and I can easily imagine him struggling with the necessary complexities.
Frankly he is an embarrassment to listen to, and I suspect many of his supporters think the same.
When interviewed he doesn't even have the necessary skill to evade questions like many of the accomplished liars in Westminster - he just over talks the interviewer.
He has reduced the well sullied reputation of Westminster to a new level and his lying over prorogation has diminished the reputations of his cabinet members for defending it.
He is definitely the UK 'Trump'

Old 09-21-2019, 04:17 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff956 View Post
Everything I've ever heard him spout has been bluster and bull****, with not a scrap of detail.
Perhaps his hidden talents emerge only at the negotiation table! I think not, and I can easily imagine him struggling with the necessary complexities.
Frankly he is an embarrassment to listen to, and I suspect many of his supporters think the same.
When interviewed he doesn't even have the necessary skill to evade questions like many of the accomplished liars in Westminster - he just over talks the interviewer.
He has reduced the well sullied reputation of Westminster to a new level and his lying over prorogation has diminished the reputations of his cabinet members for defending it.
He is definitely the UK 'Trump'
This also means the EU can't make him out, or what he is going to do. Ya know.......like the Donald...

He's keeping the EU off balance. All we have to do is keep an eye on the prize, which is getting out of the EU without coughing up £38 billion for NOTHING.

I don't give a damn who does it, as long as it happens. Let's see how the EU squeal when they don't get that money, which they need urgently. They are a bust flush. We need to tell them to stick their deal were the sun don't shine, and just walk.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:35 AM

27,529 posts, read 13,741,741 times
Quote:
I believe parliament is prorogued every year, for the party conferences. This year extra time has been added.
Parliament is prorogued in other that new legislation can be announced in the Queens Speech. Parliament was last prorogued in May 2017, so that nearly two and a half years ago and given that a new Government has bee formed and new legisation put forward, normally the Government had every right to prorogue Parliament.

What is being disputed is whether this was the real reason for proroguing Parliament or was it to stifle the legislators powers over the exextive in relation to Brexit. The long length of the shut down has also been controversial.

We shall see what the Supreme Court decision is next week, however the High Court which deals with a lot more cases than the Court of Sessions in Edinburgh, has alrerady stated that the Judiciary should tread lightly in terms of becoming too involved in poltical decisions and that it is not up to them to determine whether Johson lied to the Queen or his political motivations, and I expect the Supreme Court to base any decision on judicial precedence rather than become involved in poltics.

Indeed the HoC could have stopped Parliament from being porogued by legislation, by a vote of no-confidence, by agreeing to an election, and Parliament also has it's own rules based on Erskine May and which is upheld by the Speaker of the House. So it's generally Parliament that deals with such issues and hold the Government to acccount rather than the Courts, and the Supreme Court has already made it clear that any decision will be based on the constitutionak law and precdence, as Government oversight is the job of Parliament itself.

Erskine May - UK Parliament

Old 09-21-2019, 05:42 AM

27,529 posts, read 13,741,741 times
Quote:
Bettel pointed out, the UK decision to leave was unilateral. The decision on the future relationship is not.......

If it's OK for the UK to make a unilateral decision, it's OK for him to make a unilateral decision to stick with the original plan to have the press conference outdoors, rather than accede to yet another UK request.
In terms of the Luxembourg PM, he not only put the podium where the British PM would be jeered, but he also pointed to the empty podium and mocked Johnson. Earlier the same Luxembourg PM had held questions inside the building, and it smacked of the usual EU behaviour or have you forgotten Theresa May been ignored or served a cake with no cherry on it, as the UK can not cherry pick. Such if the infantile behaviour of some EU figures and indeed politicians generally.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:32 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,530,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Boris is an asshat. The British will not keep him once Brexit is a done deed, he doesn't have the brains for what comes after and I really believe the British will look elsewhere for stable leadership. The Conservative party is in wobbly shape and its spasms won't help the situation. The Brits I hear talking are already talking in terms of buckling down, the clown show is over, etc. terms.
Are these Brits employed as fortune tellers in seaside resorts and called Gypsy Rose Lee by any chance ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom