Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 11:12 AM

703 posts, read 448,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
I know plenty of people who voted to leave and haven’t changed their minds one bit, I know others who are worried about their future and would change their vote given the chance.

Either way it doesn’t make an argument for not having a referendum today based on the facts at hand given the damage to the economy and people’s lives a no deal Brexit will certainly cause and no alternatives left.

There are plenty of reasons to fault the first referendum on the way it was run with little real facts about at that time and with all the polls predicting remain would win anyway.

Pushing ahead with a no deal Brexit with all that it entails, without knowing 100% this is what the majority of people want is not the way any civilized county should be run.

Today people are overloaded with information on Brexit and everyone today would be making an informed decision.

If a deal can’t be agreed in the next few weeks, I can’t see any real alternative.

And my question to you leavers, if the vote was overwhelmingly in favour of staying would you feel robbed, really ?

Yes I'm sure they would. From what I gather on here they want to leave 'whatever the price', which is a pretty extreme position.
I've asked on here what would they say to those who will almost certainly lose their jobs at Airbus, Vauxhall and others. No answer. 'Collateral damage' I imagine.
Still, we can look forward to a nice fat Trumpian trade deal with the US, which will get nowhere if we adopt the same stringent red lines the Tories did with the EU. Trade with the US at present doesn't even approach that done with the EU of course.
God knows where the rest of these lauded trade deals will come from - or when?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 11:42 AM

2,264 posts, read 980,665 times
If history is any guide appeasing Brussels by defeating a popular vote in Britain won't have the desired effect. It will instead likely encourage Brussels to double down on its immigration policies and further erode Britain's sovereignty.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:12 PM

6,066 posts, read 6,036,505 times
Britain is to allow foreign students to work some four years post study I believe. Expected to have a big impact in increasing the Indian student market with such a carrot and possibility of leave to remain resulting. Got the Aussies concerned anyway, with India their fastest growing student market not so much due to the quality of education but probability of being able to stay on afterwards. UK has apparently put a spanner in the works with new policy as will likely become preferred destination.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:18 PM

14,479 posts, read 14,443,463 times
If Brexit is really so popular than pro-Brexiteers should have no problem with a second referendum should they?

Honestly, the consequences of a "no deal Brexit" for Ireland, alone, ought to give everyone cause for serious contemplation. There were so many problems along the border when one used to exist before Britain joined the EU that no one should want a return to that.

I just got back from Ireland and people on both sides of the border are very scared at what this means.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:43 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
If Brexit is really so popular than pro-Brexiteers should have no problem with a second referendum should they?

Honestly, the consequences of a "no deal Brexit" for Ireland, alone, ought to give everyone cause for serious contemplation. There were so many problems along the border when one used to exist before Britain joined the EU that no one should want a return to that.

I just got back from Ireland and people on both sides of the border are very scared at what this means.
You know, I get pretty fed up of hearing 'the Irish are scared' or 'the Scots want to remain in the EU.' How about the by a huge margin, the majority in these islands, the English? How come what we want always seems to be last on the list?

We are fed up of the EU, it's dislike for us, it's immigration rules, which ensure we have massive amounts of especially Eastern Europeans invading my country year on year. Do our concerns mean nothing? If not, why not?

The Irish PM has been snuggling up real close with the EU, like a good little dog. Joining in jokes about us standing at the side of EU officials. Ireland is an independent country isn't it? It puts it's own interests first doesn't it? Well, it's time we did the same.

I have expressed my opposition to a second referendum, and why. It will be set out in such a way, leaning to remain. There won't be a yes or no answer like last time. Ever more remain voters will be searched out, to ensure remain win. You think we're stupid, and don't know how we leavers will be stitched up? Like I said before, votes only for the UK born citizens. No vote for Irish citizens living in England. No vote for those who have left the country to live abroad. If you weren't born here, no vote for you.

That's why we don't want another vote. Under the circumstances I described, leave would win again. But, you can bet your last dollar another referendum would be set up, so every Tom, Dick, and Harry got a vote. Well, we've had enough, and we're not going to put up with it. The establishment were shaken to their core losing last time. They will make sure it doesn't happen again, if they get the chance.

Last edited by English Dave; 09-22-2019 at 11:01 PM..

Old 09-23-2019, 01:11 AM

6,066 posts, read 6,036,505 times
While some continue to despise EU for own particular reasons, others of us to it vastly different and consider now more of the facts are out simply have another vote. If as polls point Johnson is so far ahead there is little for Brixiteers to be overly concerned about. Or could it be in their heart of hearts they are very uncertain it would fall their way hence a repeat must be prevented at any cost?

Old 09-23-2019, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
While some continue to despise EU for own particular reasons, others of us to it vastly different and consider now more of the facts are out simply have another vote. If as polls point Johnson is so far ahead there is little for Brixiteers to be overly concerned about. Or could it be in their heart of hearts they are very uncertain it would fall their way hence a repeat must be prevented at any cost?
Read above why I don't want another vote on the referendum. But I am ready for a General Election anytime Labour find the guts to call a confidence vote.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:16 AM

1,129 posts, read 472,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You know, I get pretty fed up of hearing 'the Irish are scared' or 'the Scots want to remain in the EU.' How about the by a huge margin, the majority in these islands, the English? How come what we want always seems to be last on the list?

We are fed up of the EU, it's dislike for us, it's immigration rules, which ensure we have massive amounts of especially Eastern Europeans invading my country year on year. Do our concerns mean nothing? If not, why not?

The Irish PM has been snuggling up real close with the EU, like a good little dog. Joining in jokes about us standing at the side of EU officials. Ireland is an independent country isn't it? It puts it's own interests first doesn't it? Well, it's time we did the same.

I have expressed my opposition to a second referendum, and why. It will be set out in such a way, leaning to remain. There won't be a yes or no answer like last time. Ever more remain voters will be searched out, to ensure remain win. You think we're stupid, and don't know how we leavers will be stitched up? Like I said before, votes only for the UK born citizens. No vote for Irish citizens living in England. No vote for those who have left the country to live abroad. If you weren't born here, no vote for you.

That's why we don't want another vote. Under the circumstances I described, leave would win again. But, you can bet your last dollar another referendum would be set up, so every Tom, Dick, and Harry got a vote. Well, we've had enough, and we're not going to put up with it. The establishment were shaken to their core losing last time. They will make sure it doesn't happen again, if they get the chance.
You are now speaking about Britain the way you speak about the EU, you don't like the Irish or the Scottish and possibly the Welsh because, well, you just don't like them, no basis, they just don't live down your street so are obviously the enemy.

You have no coherent argument for leaving the EU other than nobody's building houses because the population keeps growing and you are all going to have to bunk up and live 10 to an house.....

Thankfully you are OK with a 2nd referendum as long as it's on your terms and only you and your mates have a vote.

You need to be careful David you're turning into a grumpy old man ranting at the world.....

Old 09-23-2019, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
You are now speaking about Britain the way you speak about the EU, you don't like the Irish or the Scottish and possibly the Welsh because, well, you just don't like them, no basis, they just don't live down your street so are obviously the enemy.

You have no coherent argument for leaving the EU other than nobody's building houses because the population keeps growing and you are all going to have to bunk up and live 10 to an house.....

Thankfully you are OK with a 2nd referendum as long as it's on your terms and only you and your mates have a vote.

You need to be careful David you're turning into a grumpy old man ranting at the world.....
What you mean turning into a grumpy old man ranting at the world? That boat has long sailed....... Of course I'm grumpy, being surrounded by frightened EU Body Snatcher clones. Repeat after me, 'we can't exist outside the EU. The EU is God. The EU is omnipotent. Immigration is good, along with diversity. We are just a very happy group living happily together. If those who want to leave the EU would just go away, everything in the garden would be lovely......' Yeah right.

The Irish have decided their future is with the EU. Their PM is now an official EU lap dog. Fair enough. Keep licking EU arse, and the English can look out for ourselves, just as the Irish are.

I don't worry too much about the Scots. I wrote them off years ago. Sooner they finally find the guts to vote for independence, the better. Good luck to them when we put up a hard border.

The Welsh seem to have their heads screwed on correctly, as far as I can tell. Just a few yapping little dog politicians stirring up trouble. They're too insignificant to cause much worry. I guess their coal miners can go on strike, and that would cause problems though. Hang on, it's not 1974 anymore is it?

You think the housing shortage is a joke? Well, millions of English people don't.

Sure, I'm all for a second referendum, on the winners of the last one's terms. You know what they are. What's the matter don't think you can win if the votes go only to UK born citizens, and not those like you, living in the sunshine abroad? You think the Irish living here should get a vote? I don't. I guess just UK born getting a vote doesn't give you confidence of winning huh? Well, it does me.

You're very lucky to have me here stating my honest, straight from the heart opinions. Who y'all going to hate on when I'm gone?

Ahhh, I feel better now that's off my chest. Thanks britinspain........

Last edited by English Dave; 09-23-2019 at 01:48 AM..

Old 09-23-2019, 02:28 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,530,373 times
In the event of forming a government after a post-Brexit election the Labour Party conference has voted to abolish private and grammar schools and steal their endowment funds because they give students an unfair advantage.

Jeremy Corbyn attended both and came out with two “E” Grades at A Level…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom