Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 10:13 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,686,808 times

Advertisements

Well, 6000 posts in and what have we learned? You’re almost at the end of the beginning...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 10:20 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Well, 6000 posts in and what have we learned? You’re almost at the end of the beginning...
It was good enough for Churchill, so it's good enough for us.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:25 AM

434 posts, read 249,226 times
Quote:
Well currently looking a NI being in a separated by a border and market permanently so the answer yes.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:35 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,530,373 times
Quote:
Well, 6000 posts in and what have we learned?

How few people " who didn't know what they were voting for " appear to have changed their minds now it has been explained to them again.
And that MPs who claimed they were only acting in the interests of parliamentary democracy by impeding Brexit have been revealed as liars.
And how totally inept Comrade Corbyn really is.
Other than that not much.

Old 10-18-2019, 04:22 PM

3,413 posts, read 4,484,469 times
I believe Corbyn’s supposed issue with the new deal is that it doesn’t do enough for workers and the environment. Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t The British Parliament be free to do whatever it can pass for workers rights and the environment under the new deal? I can understand the SNP’s(Brexit would really put their independence dreams on ice)Liberal Democrat, and even the DUP’s issues with the deal, but I don’t quite understand Labor’s. What exactly is Labor’s alternative proposal? This all just looks like more division, dither, and delay to me.

Labor’s exact position on Brexit and what sort of resolution it seeks is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Old 10-18-2019, 04:30 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I believe Corbyn’s supposed issue with the new deal is that it doesn’t do enough for workers and the environment. Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t The British Parliament be free to do whatever it can pass for workers rights and the environment under the new deal? I can understand the SNP’s, Liberal Democrat, and even the DUP’s issues with the deal, but I don’t quite understand Labor’s. What exactly is Labor’s alternative proposal? This all just looks like more division, dither, and delay to me.

Labor’s exact position on Brexit and what sort of resolution it seeks is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.
What this is really about, is Corbyn's fear of this appearing to be a triumph for Boris Johnson. He knows the result of that, would be a huge victory for Boris's Tory party in a General Election.

So, he has to try and find reasons why Labour can't vote to accept the deal. It's all about trying to save his own political skin. He's finished if this deal gets through Parliament tomorrow.

Old 10-18-2019, 06:08 PM

1,139 posts, read 467,543 times
Doesn't do enough for workers re that groan Corbyn thoughts - you are a bit out of things TylerJAX. More people working than for decades, wages up more people not paying tax and so it goes on. Now minimum wages going up again all without that Marxist leaning joker. It is as loppy as the SNP bunch of modern Jacobites groaning about losing out on the EU. That is a daft thing they get away with when one realises that only 25% of Scotland's economy is EU leaning! That lot also lost MP seats in northeast Scotland because the fishing communities wanted to get rid of the EU controls on their traditional fishing grounds.

Even if raining Saturday wil lturn outn to be fascinating!

Old 10-18-2019, 11:34 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,853,293 times
Wishing you best of luck today.

Old 10-18-2019, 11:49 PM

434 posts, read 249,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
So, he has to try and find reasons why Labour can't vote to accept the deal. It's all about trying to save his own political skin. He's finished if this deal gets through Parliament tomorrow.
The vote today is just pantomime. Johnson would need an extension to implement it anyhow.

If the deal doesn't go through it'll lead to a general election, then he'll vote it through when he has a majority. Doubt it effects the actual leave date.

About the only alternative that would amount to anything would be if the deal gets through but with a confirmatory referendum attached. Johnson could remove it next parliament but would look like a right arse. Doubt that would go through as it would require Labour to put country ahead of party and they are still living in the fantasy that Corbyn could win an election.

Old 10-19-2019, 02:45 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,299,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I believe Corbyn’s supposed issue with the new deal is that it doesn’t do enough for workers and the environment. Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t The British Parliament be free to do whatever it can pass for workers rights and the environment under the new deal? I can understand the SNP’s(Brexit would really put their independence dreams on ice)Liberal Democrat, and even the DUP’s issues with the deal, but I don’t quite understand Labor’s. What exactly is Labor’s alternative proposal? This all just looks like more division, dither, and delay to me.

You're not wrong.

The deal is orthogonal to workers rights and the environment. Unfortunately we live in a political climate that tries to conflate several issues together, which works fine until they don't, then you end up having to replace several pieces of law at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom