Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 02:31 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,029 times

Advertisements

Smart voters are all for Trump!!

They want Muslims out of the country.

So happy UK and US are waking up at the same time!!

What a timing!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 02:48 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post

What a timing!!!
Fyi exclamation points don't magically turn fiction into facts. Even if they do look a bit like magic wands.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:53 PM

7,679 posts, read 5,525,023 times
Quote:

What a timing!!!
I didn't know Poland was Muslim. Learn something new every day.

Quote:
Most Polish migrants arrived in the UK after the 2004 enlargement of the European Union. As of 2014, 790,000 people born in Poland were estimated to be resident in the UK
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pole...United_Kingdom

Old 06-27-2016, 02:55 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post

Gotta watch out for those catholic muslims. Wait, let me rephrase that. Gotta watch out for those catholic muslims!!! That's the right amount of hyperbole.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:55 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post

I don't know about Poles frankly.

Are they integrated into society?

Most complaints are about Muslims.

I guess Brits don't mind Poles coming in or do they

Old 06-27-2016, 03:05 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,755,100 times
Quote:

They didn't years ago. It must now resurface after the floodgate was opened by Blair. Btw, Boris Johnson said he's originally from Turkey. This isn't about immigration but controlled immigration.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:12 PM

7,679 posts, read 5,525,023 times
Quote:

Citizens of other European Union countries are allowed to live in the UK without a visa.

This post in the UK Forum at C-D is a good read:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/44558494-post1250.html

Old 06-27-2016, 03:53 PM

434 posts, read 248,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
They didn't years ago. It must now resurface after the floodgate was opened by Blair. Boris Johnson said he's originally from Turkey. This isn't about immigration but controlled immigration.
People care about in theory uncontrolled imigration from the eu but dont seem to care about the greater number of immigrants from outside the eu which is 100% under Uk gov control.

Last edited by Glokta; 06-27-2016 at 04:04 PM..

Old 06-27-2016, 04:43 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glokta View Post
People care about in theory uncontrolled imigration from the eu but dont seem to care about the greater number of immigrants from outside the eu which is 100% under Uk gov control.
Although I don't live there, maybe I can understand why they'd want control over who immigrated and not be told. When the US still had a decent and fair immigration policy, they wanted skilled and educated workers and a balance from different countries. We don't get many legal immigrants now because the government won't restore the former system. We get millions of illegals who sneak in and overburden the system instead. (Cheap labor for the rich of any political party.)

Almost any country can use more doctors and scientists. But what country wants people who are going to have to be on welfare? It's the quality of the immigrants that needs to be controlled.

Probably the only reason that some people over here actually listen to Trump is that he boasts that he will build a wall between Mexico and the USA. A total lie, of course. And anyway, due to the terrain, it's impossible. Meanwhile, a LEGAL immigrant who merely wants to bring his elderly parents here is not allowed to, or would have to wait years and pay a huge sum of money to do so.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:52 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:

Sounds as if they've been taking their anger out on Poles too lately. I'm not sure, but there was prejudice against Poles at first but it seemed that they were fitting in better and getting along fairly well in the UK. At the moment, some people seem to be hating anyone who is not a native Brit and using Brexit as an excuse.

If it makes any difference, the US has millions (probably) of Polish immigrants, mostly from the late 19th C when they came over to work in factories, but also well into the 20th C. They were ridiculed (funny names that you can't spell--hahahaha) at first but now they are valued. They turned out to be really hard workers.

First they started out in the factories and the farms--a lot of them were really great farmers who eventually, due to frugal living, managed to purchase their own land and have large, prosperous farms. Now, a few generations later, many are well educated and own businesses. They're generally frugal, honest, and also fun loving people who assimilate well. Take it from us, if you want to--they are usually good people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom