Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 10:00 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,936,543 times

Advertisements

No, but it is the beginning of the end for the EU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I'll think you will find it is.

Nicola Sturgeon demands new independence vote before Brexit
Nicola Sturgeon demands new independence vote before Brexit | Reuters

Scots split 50/50 on independence
Scots split 50/50 on independence, Ipsos MORI for STV News poll finds (From HeraldScotland)
That doesn't really chnage anything, we've known this was coming for almost a year. Nicola Sturgeon isn't the one who decides these things. She can only request a referendum, she can't force one.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:03 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,448,384 times
Quote:
I'll think you will find it is.

Nicola Sturgeon demands new independence vote before Brexit
Nicola Sturgeon demands new independence vote before Brexit | Reuters

Scots split 50/50 on independence
Scots split 50/50 on independence, Ipsos MORI for STV News poll finds (From HeraldScotland)
I don't think so Paul. Wee Nicola will stamp her foot, until she gets another vote..... give it to her. The Scots voted last time 55% to 45% to remain. Since then, the price of oil has plummeted. The remain vote will be wider than last time. They want a vote, give it to them. Then, when it's a convincing result to remain. Shut up fer Pete's sake Nicola!!..........

I sure wish the Scots would vote to leave. I'm sick of the bellyaching coming from north of the border. Enough is enough. The bad feeling coming our way from many Scots, for as long as anyone can remember, has hardened my attitude to the Union. Go, if that's what the Scots want, but if not, then get on with things, and stop moaning!! The Scots do very well from the Union. We can only hope for free university education for our English young people, and other benefits enjoyed by the Scottish people.

I could be wrong of course. Maybe Scottish turkeys will vote for Christmas...........

Old 03-13-2017, 10:08 AM

27,351 posts, read 13,597,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post

Totally Agree Razza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I don't think so Paul. Wee Nicola will stamp her foot, until she gets another vote..... give it to her. The Scots voted last time 55% to 45% to remain. Since then, the price of oil has plummeted. The remain vote will be wider than last time. They want a vote, give it to them. Then, when it's a convincing result to remain. Shut up fer Pete's sake Nicola!!..........

I sure wish the Scots would vote to leave. I'm sick of the bellyaching coming from north of the border. Enough is enough. The bad feeling coming our way from many Scots, for as long as anyone can remember, has hardened my attitude to the Union. Go, if that's what the Scots want, but if not, then get on with things, and stop moaning!! The Scots do very well from the Union. We can only hope for free university education for our English young people, and other benefits enjoyed by the Scottish people.

I could be wrong of course. Maybe Scottish turkeys will vote for Christmas...........
Agreed - Sturgeon is becoming ever more unpopular, whilst Scotland does most of it's trade with the UK and not the EU and you are right the Scots get a good deal out of the Union.

The Scots currently have 59 Members of Parliament (MPs) representing Scottish constituencies at Westminster in London out of 650 MP's, in terms of the EU the Scots have 6 MEP's out of 751 MEP's. So have very little say, and it's unlikely that they will be allowed to join the EU and even if they were all new members must adopt the Euro.

England & Wales will no doubt retain the pound, whilst new hard border controls would have to be put in place as the two countries would be different economic areas. Scotland would also have to negotiate a trading agreement with England or may have to trade using WTO Rules.

Good Luck with that Sturgeon and the anology of' Turkeys voting for Christmas' is a very apt one.

Scotland risks becoming Greece without the sun, says thinktank - Guardian

Independent Scotland in Europe ‘like Greece without the sun’, Nicola Sturgeon warned - Independent

Independent Scotland in the euro 'like Greece without the sun', Nicola Sturgeon warned - Telegraph

Scotland exports around £70 Billion of which over £50 Billion is to the rest of the UK (mainly England) and exports over £20 Billion (around half or £10 Billion relates to EU exports) to the rest of the world including EU countries. This is a lot more than money generated by oil and gas.

The economy of Scotland is very highly integrated with the economy of the rest of the UK and this includes companies based in Scotland that supply goods and services to the rest of the UK. The Scottish Economy is more intergrated with the UK than it is with the entirety of the EU. Having two seperate currencies could deeply effect Scotlands biggest market and the economy it is most intergrated with.

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-13-2017 at 10:26 AM..

Old 03-13-2017, 10:18 AM

25,652 posts, read 17,391,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Pardon me for sticking my American nose in, but I think you are right. Brexit opened a door which others had not imagined could be opened. There may be a long pause while other countries watch to see how it all works out, but if UK is successful and prosperous then there may well be a stampede for the door.

A case in point is the carrying-ons between Turkey and Netherlands, which ain't exactly next door neighbors. They have to fly back and forth to give each other the finger.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:19 AM

All the evidence suggests that the Scottish public don't want another "once in a generation" vote. The SNP exist for the purpose of making Scotland independent, regardless of what happens, even if we were still in the EU, the SNP would find an excuse to call for a referendum.

Sturgeon knows that if she keeps grabbing the headlines with talk of another referendum, then it will distract away from the SNP's shocking record in government. Scotland's government finances are not looking good to say the least, and contrary to what Sturgeon would have you believe, Westminster is not to blame for this. I kinda hope they go independent just so I can see how they run a country without being able to blame Westminster for everything that goes wrong.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Pardon me for sticking my American nose in, but I think you are right. Brexit opened a door which others had not imagined could be opened. There may be a long pause while other countries watch to see how it all works out, but if UK is successful and prosperous then there may well be a stampede for the door.

A case in point is the carrying-ons between Turkey and Netherlands, which ain't exactly next door neighbors. They have to fly back and forth to give each other the finger.
That's true, a lot of people will be keeping a close eye on how the UK performs over the next decade. Although the EU has real threats in the immediate future. The Dutch referendum on Wednesday will probably see anti-EU populists make serious gains. And if Le Pen wins in France next month, which is unlikely but no more improbable than Trump's victory last year, then the EU will be on life-support.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:56 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,864,347 times

SNP and Green party will get article 30 through Scottish Government next week.

It is more likely now than in 2014.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:01 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,448,384 times
Quote:

SNP and Green party will get article 30 through Scottish Government next week.

It is more likely now than in 2014.
Give the vote to 10 years old this time....... they'll vote for independence........... Obviously, giving the vote last time to 16 year old school kids wasn't enough.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:03 AM

I remember polls released in the days prior to the 2014 referendum result put Leave on 52%, a few days later they secured just 45% in the actual vote.

Although the most important polls are those showing that most people in Scotland simply don't want a re-run of the referendum. Over the last 2/3 years we've learned that referendums are often nasty and divisive. The last referendum in 2014 tore entire families apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom