Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 03:34 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZolaLloyd View Post
True, but until Article 50 is invoked I suspect the vote will still be contested regardless of your measured reasoning.
Oh, they'll whisper behind their hands. But the vote was legitimate in the land where democracy began. Any backtracking, and believe me Zola, they will have more trouble than they can deal with.

The snowflakes who marched today will be astonished at real anger. It won't happen.......

They will um and arr, but in the end, Article 50 will be invoked. Trust Uncle David.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 05:15 PM

14,834 posts, read 12,112,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Oh, they'll whisper behind their hands. But the vote was legitimate in the land where democracy began. Any backtracking, and believe me Zola, they will have more trouble than they can deal with.

The snowflakes who marched today will be astonished at real anger. It won't happen.......

They will um and arr, but in the end, Article 50 will be invoked. Trust Uncle David.........
Democracy began in ancient Greece doesn't demos mean something like 'of the people' in ancient Greek? Anyway I agree with you, you can't hold a democratic vote and then spit your dummy out because you don't agree with the outcome! The fact is despite the ruling elite being very pro Euro (they know how their particular bread is buttered) the people of the UK want out, it doesn't matter how often they throw the term 'racist' around willy nilly (although not the only one this is probably THE most outrageous slur the remain side has use). Britons voted out of the EU because a majority of Britons do NOT get a good deal from being part of it, if the EU benefitted all then the vote wouldn't have gone the way it did, instead of spitting their dummies out these people should start working at putting the great back in to Great Britain again.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Democracy began in ancient Greece doesn't demos mean something like 'of the people' in ancient Greek? Anyway I agree with you, you can't hold a democratic vote and then spit your dummy out because you don't agree with the outcome! The fact is despite the ruling elite being very pro Euro (they know how their particular bread is buttered) the people of the UK want out, it doesn't matter how often they throw the term 'racist' around willy nilly (although not the only one this is probably THE most outrageous slur the remain side has use). Britons voted out of the EU because a majority of Britons do NOT get a good deal from being part of it, if the EU benefitted all then the vote wouldn't have gone the way it did, instead of spitting their dummies out these people should start working at putting the great back in to Great Britain again.
I'll bow to your better knowledge of history than me easthome...... I guess I was thinking of such things as Magna Carta in 1215.The elite, here, in Europe, and in other parts of the world, aren't happy with the result of this vote.

But, like it or not, it was a democratic vote, held at a time of their choosing. They know that, as do we. I can't see how they can twist and turn, to get what they want. Not without consequences they won't want to see.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:07 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,903,053 times
More troubling to me is the number of people who have stated or alluded to that democracy should be restricted, and that certain people, in this case old people, should not be allowed to vote on such things. That state such restrictions should exist because they happen to not have gotten their way; a really odd view from so many living under such a modern form of government the UK has.

The second troubling thing is the wanting to change the rules of the referendum after the fact. Now calls of "should be a 60/65% majority" are everywhere. Sorry, but the rules are made up front, not after the fact in order to meet a specific agenda.

The calls for a second vote are troubling; basically it amounts to if people do not like the results of a vote, a second one should be made. Absolutely a ridiculous suggestion. It is like some people do not quite understand the concept of democracy and voting, but they do understand, it is just they did not like the result and do not respect the democratic mechanisms, they want it their way, and their way is the only way.

The "we are citizens of Europe" is troubling, as in the welfare of the UK is second. These people are only invested in themselves, not the UK. They do not feel an investment into the UK, they just want the ability to freely migrate to better pastures if the need arises.

The basically ignoring and name calling of those who voted to leave. I have never seen such a outright media blitz on a group of people like this. Every form of media has done nothing but criticize those who voted to leave, and call them every name under the sun. What has been completely ignored is that a large bloc of those who voted to leave, the older crowd, have seen and experienced first hand the UK's transition and life through being in the EU, and have a hell of a lot better understanding of its impact than some young 20 something's who have not lived through this, and in which many have not even contributed a fraction of what a lot of the leave crowd has contributed. Additionally, it is not like everyone in each age group voted completely for either one, there were plenty who voted opposite, plenty of the older generation who voted to remain, plenty of the younger generation who voted to exit.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
More troubling to me is the number of people who have stated or alluded to that democracy should be restricted, and that certain people, in this case old people, should not be allowed to vote on such things. That state such restrictions should exist because they happen to not have gotten their way; a really odd view from so many living under such a modern form of government the UK has.

The second troubling thing is the wanting to change the rules of the referendum after the fact. Now calls of "should be a 60/65% majority" are everywhere. Sorry, but the rules are made up front, not after the fact in order to meet a specific agenda.

The calls for a second vote are troubling; basically it amounts to if people do not like the results of a vote, a second one should be made. Absolutely a ridiculous suggestion. It is like some people do not quite understand the concept of democracy and voting, but they do understand, it is just they did not like the result and do not respect the democratic mechanisms, they want it their way, and their way is the only way.

The "we are citizens of Europe" is troubling, as in the welfare of the UK is second. These people are only invested in themselves, not the UK. They do not feel an investment into the UK, they just want the ability to freely migrate to better pastures if the need arises.

The basically ignoring and name calling of those who voted to leave. I have never seen such a outright media blitz on a group of people like this. Every form of media has done nothing but criticize those who voted to leave, and call them every name under the sun. What has been completely ignored is that a large bloc of those who voted to leave, the older crowd, have seen and experienced first hand the UK's transition and life through being in the EU, and have a hell of a lot better understanding of its impact than some young 20 something's who have not lived through this, and in which many have not even contributed a fraction of what a lot of the leave crowd has contributed. Additionally, it is not like everyone in each age group voted completely for either one, there were plenty who voted opposite, plenty of the older generation who voted to remain, plenty of the younger generation who voted to exit.
It is troubling that many do not seem to understand the validity of the vote. The government announced they were going to do it a few years ago, if reelected. The campaign started a long time before the vote. Plenty of information was given, with some even sent to every home in the country. The media blitz before the day of the vote was massive. Yet, on the day, only 36% of 18-24 year olds went and voted. They didn't seem to feel it was important enough to walk to their voting center.

Yet, when the vote went against their seeming wishes, they have not stopped complaining. This vote was very different to our normal ballots. Not first past the post, as in a General election, but every vote counting in or out. Yet, the majority of young people didn't bother to vote. Now they say, "the old people shouldn't be allowed to vote." Wow....... just wow. I worry for the future of the youth of this country. Their brains are addled I think from constant staring at their phones.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:50 PM

27,529 posts, read 13,741,741 times
TBH the way people are drapping themselves in EU Flags is laughable. I voted 'Remain' but I would be the first to agree that the EU is not a good organisation, is very corrupt and needs massive reform.

As for idiotic racist incidents, they are hate crimes and are usually prioritised by the police, with the CPS and Courts adding charges and increasing the lengths of sentences for such crimes.

Personally I would have liked to have had a General Election in order for political parties to campaign on how they would take us forward, however because a lot of the same idiots who like protesting about anything and everything and who probably helped vote a bearded Commie in as Leader of the Labour Party in a £3 a go internet vote, there now isn't a credible opposition, so an election would be pointless.

Whilst an independent thinktank even told the Scottish yesterday in a report that they risked becoming Greece without the Sun if it voted for independence.

Scotland risks becoming Greece without the sun, says thinktank - The Guardian

Independent Scotland in Europe ‘like Greece without the sun’, Nicola Sturgeon warned - The Independent

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-03-2016 at 01:04 PM..

Old 07-03-2016, 11:47 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,035,356 times
There's no doubt that the future is uncertain after Brexit (it would have been uncertain without Brexit), but the way some Remainers are reacting, you'd think that the EU was a bloody paradise.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:09 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,299,621 times
I think the primary issue and one that the UK needs to get past, is that the referendum happened, and it voted to leave. It wasn't a half a dozen votes to leave more than stay, it was millions. Blair has a statement in today's papers about how the referendum need not determine the UK's destiny and a second referendum may be needed, and how "the people" may have got it wrong.

Well personally I think that the vote was more a vote against the current government(s) of both Brussels and Westminster, and that the majority of the UK feel that those governments aren't serving the needs of the people and that they're elitists. If the referendum is ignored, or another referendum is called, doesn't that kind of prove the feeling people have that the government is not listening to the people, and if they're not listening to the people how can they serve the people's needs? Regardless of how you feel the vote went, if the vote is ignored, or repeated, then that should make everyone stop and think. How can the UK claim to be democratic if they ignore one public vote because the margin was less than they would like, so they just choose to hold another?

People just need to shut the hell up and deal with the reality of what it is, and get moving. Either effect the will of the referendum, or explicitly ignore is and prove to the country and the world that the UK isn't a democracy. In both situations then the people of the UK can begin to deal with the reality of what is.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I think the primary issue and one that the UK needs to get past, is that the referendum happened, and it voted to leave. It wasn't a half a dozen votes to leave more than stay, it was millions. Blair has a statement in today's papers about how the referendum need not determine the UK's destiny and a second referendum may be needed, and how "the people" may have got it wrong.

Well personally I think that the vote was more a vote against the current government(s) of both Brussels and Westminster, and that the majority of the UK feel that those governments aren't serving the needs of the people and that they're elitists. If the referendum is ignored, or another referendum is called, doesn't that kind of prove the feeling people have that the government is not listening to the people, and if they're not listening to the people how can they serve the people's needs? Regardless of how you feel the vote went, if the vote is ignored, or repeated, then that should make everyone stop and think. How can the UK claim to be democratic if they ignore one public vote because the margin was less than they would like, so they just choose to hold another?

People just need to shut the hell up and deal with the reality of what it is, and get moving. Either effect the will of the referendum, or explicitly ignore is and prove to the country and the world that the UK isn't a democracy. In both situations then the people of the UK can begin to deal with the reality of what is.
Tony Blair........ the man has no shame, and disgusts me. To think I believed in him, and voted for him to become Prime Minister. The ordinary people of this country, the ones I speak to, and have done so for many years, feel we have been ignored for a long, long time.

We have been patronized, and told to get on with things as they are, and that, is that. We have looked around, and seen many of our towns changed quickly, filled with many foreigners. We are not stupid, and recognize many are hard working people, trying to make a better life. We also see some of eastern Europe's most undesirable citizens coming to live in our country.

All this comes on top of a slow decline in standards of living for many ordinary people. Our young struggling to make a life for themselves. Housing is a massive issue, and getting worse. Rents are ridiculously high, and getting higher. Many struggle to find work that pays a living wage, and some have sunk into despair, and a life of self destruction. The remnants of the working class, mainly older people, look on, and struggle to see that this is a better life, than we had when young.

The local politicians, must see the despair, and decline in so many parts of the country. The Labour party, the so called party of the working class folks, is filled with politicians who literally sneer at the working class people of this country. We have been feeling desperate, and looking for a way to show politicians we have had enough. This vote gave us that chance.

Now, we wait and see what comes next. We are aware politicians in the main, are not happy with the result of the vote. We know the London elite within their rich bubble, despise us. We have nothing but our vote, and have used it. If anyone tries to call a second referendum, then the streets will be full of angry ordinary people. I will be among them.
http://news.sky.com/story/1700998/la...-working-class

Old 07-04-2016, 02:30 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,903,662 times
Beginning of the end ? I don't think so. I may be wrong of course, for I don't read in Crystal balls.
London for instance is the world first Financial hub before NYC! Frankfurt is ...18th, and Paris ...32th (just behind some big Chinese city). So if ever Britain is bound to go down upon leaving the EU, there is still a wide margin I believe...sorry my Millenial friends...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom