Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 11:31 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,597,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Tetley's, or Twinings for me.

There's a Red Rose Tea brand in Canada that's been around for over a hundred years, that's my #3 choice.
Not my fave, but I still laugh at their old commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUnbJAWk6gM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 06:40 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,073,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
I was just on another thread about American sweet tea (iced)
I remember drinking iced tea (Snapple?), whilst I was in the US a number of years ago. At first, I was put off by the idea of drinking cold tea, but after trying it, I was pleasantly surprised by how nice and refreshing it was (although quite sweet).

However, I still missed my cups of hot Tetley tea a great deal!

Old 09-03-2016, 08:43 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,073,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
two heaped coffee spoons of sugar.
Well I didn't have quite as much sugar in my tea as you do, but when I was younger I used to have two teaspoons of sugar in my tea.

But every year, my Nan would try to get me to give up something for Lent. So one year, I thought I'd give up using sugar in my tea. I struggled for a bit, as it tasted a lot different. But then after a while, I got used to it and found that I actually preferred my tea without the sugar in it. You could actually taste the tea, and not some syrupy concoction!

So after my forty days of not having sugar in my tea, I never went back to using it. Probably the best thing the Catholic church has ever done for me, lol!!

(One year I gave up chocolate for Lent, but that was like a living hell!! But then I had a great Easter afterwards, where I just stuffed my face with Easter eggs!).

Old 09-03-2016, 12:55 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,329,482 times
My favorite is loose large leaf (not chopped) Ceylon black tea with milk and sugar. brewed strong.

I am from the southern appalachians in the US and everyday after school my Mom would have a pot of tea and cookies waiting. My friends and I would sit on our porch and have that treat. Today when I see my friends in their 60s as am I, they will invariably mention Mom and our teatime.

I put milk in the mug first, then the tea and a spoonful of sugar like my Grandmother did. I think Mom said it had something to do with heat conducting. She always had a spoon it in for heat transference. I think it is not necessary with a china cup. but that is just what I heard.

On a similar vein, when I visit UK and have scones they remind me of biscuits that we eat in the south. The biscuits don't have the sweet glaze or flavor and may be clunkier; but the overall texture layering etc do remind me of the scones. I wonder if our colonist/pioneer foremothers brought the scones with them and made an equivalent based upon what was available here at the time.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:03 PM

490 posts, read 682,999 times
I make my tea in the mug, teabag & milk in together. Then add boiling water. Putting the milk in 1st creates an emulsion and gives a better taste. So long as the water is boiling it infuses perfectly.

I've tried adding the milk after brewing, but it just isn't the same. I use Sainsbury's fair trade teabags these days. Much cheaper than the big brands & very tasty.

I was pleased to hear Guy Martin (well known tea addict) talk about his method which is exactly the same as mine. He also talked about the emulsion effect of bag & milk in together.

A good cup of tea is one of life's real pleasures!

Old 09-04-2016, 01:57 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,058,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Oh, is that what Canadians think of the British... .

I'll take Earl Grey with a spoonful of sugar (or honey), with jam and bread please.

I also love these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=carr...B-OiXuOmEGM%3A

Old 09-04-2016, 10:57 PM

500 posts, read 749,440 times
Does anyone drink tea with nothing added? I'm American and don't drink coffee. I started drinking mint and chamomile teas as a teen and then switched to English Breakfast but have never liked it with milk or sugar. I hope this is not considered barbaric!

Old 09-05-2016, 07:21 AM

965 posts, read 941,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Great commercial! My friend's mother in northern NY drank only Red Rose.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:46 AM

10,216 posts, read 17,916,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVKim8 View Post
Does anyone drink tea with nothing added? I'm American and don't drink coffee. I started drinking mint and chamomile teas as a teen and then switched to English Breakfast but have never liked it with milk or sugar. I hope this is not considered barbaric!
Lol, my British husband would say that it is. My grandfather (American) drinks it with nothing added, but he also drinks coffee black. The milk is what cuts the bitterness - I guess some people just don't mind bitter flavors.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:51 AM

308 posts, read 238,160 times
I put the kettle on,while its boiling i put the tea bag in the mug,then 2 very flat spoons of sugar,then milk and top off with boiling water.

One of the things i dont like about America,is the lack of tea!!!!,barring the lemon variety,which down in 90f 100% humid Alabama and Mississippi is probably the better choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom