Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 09:01 AM

10,219 posts, read 17,973,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
I put the kettle on,while its boiling i put the tea bag in the mug,then 2 very flat spoons of sugar,then milk and top off with boiling water.

One of the things i dont like about America,is the lack of tea!!!!,barring the lemon variety,which down in 90f 100% humid Alabama and Mississippi is probably the better choice
I'm not sure what you mean, my food store has a huge section for tea, including many brands for black tea, even many of the popular brands from the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 09:02 AM

308 posts, read 238,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
I am an American, but lived in England 4 years, and have been back many times. I picked up a few things, and one was tea with cream. I have it daily, it has replaced coffee for me for the most part.

The best I have found easy to get here is Yorkshire Gold. When visiting, my friends have PG Tips which I think is just ok.
Favorite brands?

Do any of you use lemon? Everyone in England that I knew gagged at that idea. Also, do any of you use sugar, if so how much? I only knew one person who took sugar (1 cube).

I was just on another thread about American sweet tea (iced), and there is some discussion in regards to how you guys drink tea?

I drink ordinary Yorkshire Tea.its sold all around here as im in North Yorkshire.PG Tips is more famous for its adverts that used to show a Chimpanzees tea party than the taste of the product.

I use sugar,2 very flat teaspoons.A lot of people i know take sugar or artificial sweeteners.However my Nan never took sugar,those she had a big tea drinking habit.,during WW2 when simply everything was on the ration,and even then was hard to come by,she would swap sugar for other stuff.Offically you werent supposed to but everyone did.When rationing ended,as late as 1952 for some things(shortages were a lot worse after the war),my Nan didnt like the taste of sugar in her tea.

I would also only ever use milk,never cream,id sooner take it black than cream

Old 09-05-2016, 11:11 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,089,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVKim8 View Post
Does anyone drink tea with nothing added? I'm American and don't drink coffee. I started drinking mint and chamomile teas as a teen and then switched to English Breakfast but have never liked it with milk or sugar. I hope this is not considered barbaric!
My Dad has his tea without milk, however, he does add a couple of teaspoons of sugar to it.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:16 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,089,805 times
Quote:
I drink ordinary Yorkshire Tea.its sold all around here as im in North Yorkshire.PG Tips is more famous for its adverts that used to show a Chimpanzees tea party than the taste of the product.

I use sugar,2 very flat teaspoons.A lot of people i know take sugar or artificial sweeteners.However my Nan never took sugar,those she had a big tea drinking habit.,during WW2 when simply everything was on the ration,and even then was hard to come by,she would swap sugar for other stuff.Offically you werent supposed to but everyone did.When rationing ended,as late as 1952 for some things(shortages were a lot worse after the war),my Nan didnt like the taste of sugar in her tea.

I would also only ever use milk,never cream,id sooner take it black than cream
Oh yes, the chimps on those PG Tips ads!

I've never liked artificial sweeteners - they have a horrible taste to them.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:56 AM

14,834 posts, read 12,112,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I'm not sure what you mean, my food store has a huge section for tea, including many brands for black tea, even many of the popular brands from the UK.
Perhaps the problem is the very different idea of what tea is? When I went to Croatia the first time I spent a while looking for what I considered to be tea ie the 'tea' that nearly everybody drinks in the UK, in the shop they had a multitude of teas but they all seemed to be herbal just as I was giving up I found tea as per the tea I am used to, they called it 'English Breakfast Tea'. In other words in foreign lands it seems that 98% of the tea isle is herbal and only 2% is what the British think of tea whereas in the UK the tea isle is 95% of what 'Johnny foreigner' calls 'English Breakfast Tea' (of all brands ie Tetley, PG Tips etc) and only 5% of herbal teas!

Old 09-07-2016, 09:56 AM

26,666 posts, read 28,853,293 times
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Perhaps the problem is the very different idea of what tea is? When I went to Croatia the first time I spent a while looking for what I considered to be tea ie the 'tea' that nearly everybody drinks in the UK, in the shop they had a multitude of teas but they all seemed to be herbal just as I was giving up I found tea as per the tea I am used to, they called it 'English Breakfast Tea'. In other words in foreign lands it seems that 98% of the tea isle is herbal and only 2% is what the British think of tea whereas in the UK the tea isle is 95% of what 'Johnny foreigner' calls 'English Breakfast Tea' (of all brands ie Tetley, PG Tips etc) and only 5% of herbal teas!
Could be, in some place like Croatia. I don't know.

In my area of the US, you can get just about any regular brand of tea in the grocery store. We drink PG Tips but there's Twinings, Tetley, Yorkshire tea, Bigelow, Red Rose, Lipton as well as herbal teas. If you go into a big city, there will be actual tea shops that specialize in tea and have all kinds of teas that I've never even heard of.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:16 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,606,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
I am an American, but lived in England 4 years, and have been back many times. I picked up a few things, and one was tea with cream. I have it daily, it has replaced coffee for me for the most part.

The best I have found easy to get here is Yorkshire Gold. When visiting, my friends have PG Tips which I think is just ok.
Favorite brands?

Do any of you use lemon? Everyone in England that I knew gagged at that idea. Also, do any of you use sugar, if so how much? I only knew one person who took sugar (1 cube).

I was just on another thread about American sweet tea (iced), and there is some discussion in regards to how you guys drink tea?
I've never heard of anyone drink tea with cream. Do you mean milk?

Old 09-07-2016, 10:22 AM
bg7

Quote:
I put the kettle on,while its boiling i put the tea bag in the mug,then 2 very flat spoons of sugar,then milk and top off with boiling water.

One of the things i dont like about America,is the lack of tea!!!!,barring the lemon variety,which down in 90f 100% humid Alabama and Mississippi is probably the better choice
I've lived here 20 years or so after living in the UK. Liptons is just sawdust or something - I don't know what. All the other attempts at black tea are disappointing too. I donlt know quite how they screw it up so much. However in the last 3 or 4 years stores have started selling Irish brands as well as PG Tips. Thank God.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:27 AM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Yes, people say tea when they mean herbal teas that have no tea (either green or black) in them whatsoever. Tea: from leaves of Camellia sinensis or "tea plant".

Old 09-07-2016, 11:38 AM

26,666 posts, read 28,853,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I've lived here 20 years or so after living in the UK. Liptons is just sawdust or something - I don't know what. All the other attempts at black tea are disappointing too. I donlt know quite how they screw it up so much. However in the last 3 or 4 years stores have started selling Irish brands as well as PG Tips. Thank God.
Yes, Liptons is vile. Where do you live? I think we've had PG Tips for quite a while over here but maybe I'm wrong. (have been wrong before, lol.) I never even cared much for Tetley but maybe it tastes different in the UK. Probably been about ten years since my sister told me about PG Tips and that made it very easy to give up coffee. It's PG Tips ever day. with milk--it's so good you don't need anything else in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom