Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2016, 01:09 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
If I recall correctly, WTO rules would create tariffs between Britain and the EU?
Yes it will sadly, but I can't see any other way to deal with this. I believe two years of discussions will be a waste of time. It's obvious the EU are determined to punish us. I don't see any advantage in putting up with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 03:56 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,004,595 times
I understand that Juncker is opposed to the British even talking to prospective trade partners.

Old 10-22-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I understand that Juncker is opposed to the British even talking to prospective trade partners.
Yes. The EU has threatened legal action if we do. We need great leadership now.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-eu-...brexit/5546619

Old 10-22-2016, 04:36 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,519,778 times
you need great food

America's Best Food Invades London - Bloomberg

Old 10-23-2016, 12:58 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,252,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
We have an abundance of great food, but more American food is exactly what we don't need.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:18 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,004,595 times
Default Partners In Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Yes. The EU has threatened legal action if we do. We need great leadership now.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-eu-...brexit/5546619
What is needed is secret talks.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:19 AM

Quote:
What is needed is secret talks.
Yes, I have no doubt that will happen. We need to prepare the ground for after our exit from the EU. It is obvious now certain leaders within the EU want to not just hurt us, but humiliate as well. It's no good Theresa May asking for adult behaviour. Folks like Jean-Claude Juncker and Donald Tusk are determined to make an example of us, and even damage our economy deliberately. This could get real nasty, real quick.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:15 AM

14,834 posts, read 12,112,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
In-Laws from hell is better than sitting alone next to a dead X-mas tree staring into a cold fire.

Nothing wrong with sipping the best, called Cognac. Garlic is good in fighting many diseases.
Don't worry about us, we will have the 'other' (better) side of the family over for Christmas from now on......the 'Anglos' we have always got on much better with that side of the family anyway, they have always been FAR more welcoming to us. I think finally we shall have Christmas cheer back again, perhaps we shall send the 'Euros' a Christmas card still. We shall be rocking around the Christmas tree while you can sit around and fight over whether you call the holiday Noel or Weihnachten :-) (thank you Google translator)

Old 10-23-2016, 05:25 AM

27,529 posts, read 13,741,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Yes it will sadly, but I can't see any other way to deal with this. I believe two years of discussions will be a waste of time. It's obvious the EU are determined to punish us. I don't see any advantage in putting up with it.
Things may change though, as the the Dutch go to the polls in March 2017, the French have Elections in May 2017 and the Germans in September 2017 and even the Italians must hold an Election by the end of May 2018, so we may be negotiating with less Pro European Politicans.

Also as the author of this article points out, there is currently a lot of Domestic Politics playing out on the run up to these elections and this is one of the reasons nobody wants to start talking.

Calm down. We don’t need a negotiating stance on Brexit - Telegraph

Old 10-23-2016, 10:30 AM

8,573 posts, read 8,586,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
the 'Anglos' we have always got on much better with that side of the family anyway, )

You don't seem to have received the memo. Australia is integrated economically into the Pacific basin. Canada and the USA are now almost one economy.

The days of the old British Commonwealth, with the Queen at the head are a historical fact and nothing more.

I can assure you that the UK has NOT come up in the recent presidential debates. The USA barely remembers that the UK exists, except when a member of the Royal family gets married. Obama suggested what you all should have done, and you didn't listen.

Needless to say that he has had almost nothing to say about the UK since then.

Interesting that it is TRUMP who endorsed Brexit, and is the only person to speak of it!

The UK just doesn't seem to get the point. It was a power WITHIN the context of the EU. Outside of the EU its just another Brazil or India.

In the interim a weakened pound doesn't seem to be stimulating UK exports, and is increasing the cost of UK imports, diminishing UK spending power.

And then there is the threat that the most buoyant part of the UK economy might be severely damaged.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...t-uk?CMP=fb_gu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom