Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2016, 01:56 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,062,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
In the USA most people have a narrow and highly polarized view of Brexit, it's usually linked to Trump's candidacy. The media here reports that both pro Brexit and pro Trump voters are motivated mostly by xenophobia and fear of a global economy. I think that is largely true of Trump voters but Brexit is more complicated and has more to do with a dislike of mainland Europe than dislike of immigrants. Pro Brexit voters like trade but would prefer trade deals be agreed on from London, not Brussels.

One thing you have to understand is that American Liberals have a love affair with the EU and want to remake American govt modeled on it. They see Brexit as a movement away from the EU and back towards nationalism. If the EU fails and collapses American Liberalism will have lost much of its credibility.
I don't know why people can't seem to get this 'dislike' thing out of their heads, all I read is the British dislike immigrants and therefore voted for Brexit! Brexit has nothing to do with 'dislike', immigration is just ONE of the many reasons why people wanted out of the EU, it has NOTHING to do with 'disliking' our European neighbours. As far as I can see its our Euro cousins getting all 'huffy' about this (see red barons posts), for some reason they think they have the right to interfere with our democracy (which just about sums up the EU) and they seem to take it as an affront that we have voted to leave. I can't believe how 'childish' our Euro cousins are over the whole thing and this childishness goes to show that Europe is NO WHERE NEAR ready for a 'United States of Europe'. The longer time passes the more glad I am we are out! To our Euro 'friends' I say this, it is OUR right to decide who governs OUR country just like its YOUR right to decide who governs YOURS, Brexit is NOTHING PERSONAL but if you want to get 'nasty' then it really is up to you, it doesn't bother us, we are kind of used to nastiness coming from across the channel. It is OBVIOUS that childish 'hissy fits' from any politicians is simply going to 'damage' all, in the long term though we will find our way and you will find yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 03:31 AM

27,297 posts, read 13,563,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
Yes it was. China, Japan, Australia, Russia, USA etc. etc. etc. Readers in those countries assuming they understand the issue, may just shake their heads and mumble something about those nutty Europeans. Of course the UK media laps it up especially because the comments were made by a German. As far as Americans are concerned it is also very obvious they like anything negative about the EURO which is giving the Dollar a run for the money in world markets.

I may not agree with some of your opinions, but I believe you do not mean any economic harm on any body. Negotiations will only be successful if there is give and take on both sides. I do not see that happen in the near future.
To be fair, the Financial Times Article I posted was also by a German Wolfgang Münchau and is quite well balanced.

In terms of the Euro, the EU plans to restrict clearing to inside the Eurozone, which will severely restrict the Euros potential as a Global World Currency, as Dollars can be cleared anywhere along with other currencies.

Futhermore Germany has a services surplus with the UK, with UK services exports to Germany were €24bn in 2015, while the UK imported services of €41bn from Germany. This of course is on top of the vast trading suplus in manufactured goods Germany enjoys with the UK.

So if a hard Brexit were to force the UK and the EU to impose quotas on traded goods and to suspend trade in most services, Germany would actually be harder hit than the UK.

It also should be noted that the UK also has a current account deficit of more than 5 per cent of gross domestic product. An unsustainable external position being a rare benefit when you want to negotiate a trade deal.

It's also not just Germany, all the major EU countries enjoy a healthy trading surplus with the UK, indeed as pointed out earlier Swedish exports are down 19% already,due to the low pound alone, and any rather pathetic attempt to punish Britain will most likely just end up in punishing EU Countries and piling further pressure on the Eurozone economies and Euro.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-26-2016 at 04:09 AM..

Old 10-26-2016, 09:13 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,516,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Not true. The national Republican party is dead; the Democrats are for open borders. Hillary Clinton is a hawk in foreign affairs. The next two decades will see a sharp decline in American nationalism as the number of native-born citizens declines in proportion to the overall US population.
US politics is complicated and in a transition with regards to party politics. The Republicans has been the party of free trade and military intervention with Democrats opposed to both. What has happened is the most affluent and educated voters used to vote R and now vote D by a large margin, increasingly the Democrat platform is set by urban Ivy league elites rather than being driven by the concerns of working class people. An example is Obama emphasizing gay marriage and transgendered rights (things most Blacks and Hispanics are against) rather than limits on overtime and raising the minimum wage. Because R's now get most working class votes the party is changing from free trade to anti trade and a very nationalist agenda, however the party establishment is still against this. I think the US is prime for a third party that is for expanding welfare programs, nationalism, and socially conservative.

In terms of Brexit, the Democrats will talk tough about "going to the back of the line for trade deals" because their EU utopia is damaged but behind closed doors they would want trade with Britain because it would help the US economy.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:46 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,999,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
In the USA most people have a narrow and highly polarized view of Brexit, it's usually linked to Trump's candidacy.

One thing you have to understand is that American Liberals have a love affair with the EU and want to remake American govt modeled on it. They see Brexit as a movement away from the EU and back towards nationalism. If the EU fails and collapses American Liberalism will have lost much of its credibility.
I think that in the long run Brexit will turn out to be best for Britain. (And I voted for Obama).

A few years ago I noticed people commenting online that the EU was beginning to resemble the Holy Roman Empire. So..... What was so wonderful about the Holy Roman Empire?

Old 10-26-2016, 09:31 PM

1,529 posts, read 918,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I think that in the long run Brexit will turn out to be best for Britain. (And I voted for Obama).

A few years ago I noticed people commenting online that the EU was beginning to resemble the Holy Roman Empire. So..... What was so wonderful about the Holy Roman Empire?
Short answer Tim. It will explain why the EU resembles the HRE.

The Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation was its proper name. It lasted for almost a thousand years. From about 800 to 1800 AD. It was comprised mostly of what is now referred to as Europe. The Emperors or Kaisers were with hardly any exceptions rulers or descendants of rulers of germanic tribes. It's a little more involved and complicated, but keeping it short it was as usual the Germans running the show.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Last I heard CETA is not yet dead. Let's not jump the gun.
Following up on my own post. CETA has been approved.

The EU is alive and well, perhaps BREXIT will die a slow death.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:05 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,062,332 times
https://www.theguardian.com/business...-business-live

UK economy grows 0.5% since Brexit, feeling positive benefits from ridding ourselves from the 'shackles' of Europe already.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Following up on my own post. CETA has been approved.

The EU is alive and well, perhaps BREXIT will die a slow death.
CETA was important to Brexit, indeed the UK may seek a similar free trade deal in relation to goods and services, and parts of the Canadian deal can be used as a template or model.

So everyone who supports Brexit is pleased the deal is finally going through.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:24 AM

Quite amusing how the EU Fine Apple but overlook Junckers activities.

It's a case of do as we say and not as we do in the EU.

Apple ordered to pay €13bn after EU rules Ireland broke state aid laws - The Guardian

What's next for Apple's €13bn tax battle? - The Guardian

EU boss Juncker under spotlight over HIS tax deals after Apple debacle | World | News | Daily Express

Juncker tax row: UK ministers back probe - BBC News

Luxembourg tax files: Juncker ‘solved problems’ for Amazon move - The Guardian

Amazon: How the World's Largest Retailer Keeps Tax Collectors at Bay - Newsweek

Juncker's tax deals with Amazon and McDonald's leave EU chief facing embarrassment | Daily Mail Online

Whilst we all know the EU plans to further intergrate taxes, the first to be intergrated will be Corporation Tax as part of the EU's Common Consolidated Corporate Tax Base (CCCTB).

Brussels aims to harmonise corporate tax by 2021 - Euractiv

Press release – Commission to present common consolidated corporate tax base proposal to MEPs - New Europe

France and Germany behind plans for 'common EU corporation tax' - Telegraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC

The US Treasury said: "We believe that retroactive tax assessments by the Commission are unfair, contrary to well-established legal principles, and call into question the tax rules of individual member states."

Last week the Treasury warned that the European Commission was in danger of becoming a "supranational tax authority".
Charles Schumer, one of the highest-ranking Democratic senators, said: "This is a cheap money grab by the European Commission, targeting US businesses and the US tax base. "

"By forcing their member states to retroactively impose taxes on US companies, the EU is unfairly undermining our ability to compete economically in Europe while grabbing tax revenues that should go toward investment here in the United States," he said.

Europe's 'unfair' Apple tax ruling sparks US anger - BBC News

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-27-2016 at 08:44 AM..

Old 10-27-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/business...-business-live

UK economy grows 0.5% since Brexit, feeling positive benefits from ridding ourselves from the 'shackles' of Europe already.
Let's break out that British Champagne. Is there such a thing?

Those "shackles", were they imported or home made?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom