Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2016, 09:44 AM

27,229 posts, read 13,521,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
Let's break out that British Champagne. Is there such a thing?
The UK is a premium wine-producing region, with around 500 vineyards in England and Wales.

Let's get fizzical: why English wine is sparkling

English sparkling wine beats champagne in Paris blind tasting

French champagne house Taittinger to make English sparkling wine

Why Britain could soon produce better wines than France | Voices | The Independent

English Wine Producers :: South East

Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron
Those "shackles", were they imported or home made?
Britain was never part of the Eurozone and was never going to impliment Schengen or agree to things such as the Financial Transaction Tax or the Common Consolidated Corporate Tax Base, which is why we are leaving the EU.

If other countries want to be part of an increasingly Federal Europe then that's up to them and their electorate.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-27-2016 at 10:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 09:58 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,939,340 times
The EU has tolerated certain member states and notably Luxembourg, Ireland and The Netherlands using low tax rates as a competitive instrument for years now. It is a similar problem to the Euro where political decisions have economic consequences and where some countries take advantage of the political decisions to the economic detriment of others.

There are only two real solutions to the tax issue. The first is to 'harmonise' tax rates across the EU while the second is to have some form of fiscal transfer from one country or region to another. Most federal countries use fiscal transfers while most unitary countries use a harmonised rate.

Nevertheless, it is grossly unfair to both companies and individuals to retroactively change rates and then try to claw back the tax. Decisions are made based on applicable law and to change the rules after the event is what you expect from a Banana Republic but not from the EU. Schumer is clearly serving notice that the EU can expect retaliation from the USA if they try to recover this tax money from Apple or from other US corporations with operations in Europe.

And there are political consequences too. For example, the EU might become a whole lot less attractive to Ireland if their low tax regime is taken away from them. Irexit anyone?

Old 10-27-2016, 10:28 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,998,210 times
Could a Celtic Tiger economy thrive outside of the EU?

Old 10-27-2016, 10:36 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,939,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Could a Celtic Tiger economy thrive outside of the EU?
The problem for Ireland is that their economic growth has been based on low taxes and access to the single market for those companies paying the low taxes. The economic consequences of a political decision. Take away either and Ireland's economy goes down the tubes. That is why the Irish government is fighting the Apple decision.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:31 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,049,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
Let's break out that British Champagne. Is there such a thing?

Those "shackles", were they imported or home made?

Oh how very 'European' of you! Typical Euro prejudice when it comes to anything British, a very good example I might add as to why we have gone our separate ways. I VERY much doubt that English wine would EVER get a fair 'crack of the whip' from our Euro 'friends' so I think it only wise to trade with people in this world without anti British prejudices. From now on I would rather you didn't call me 'European', I would rather be known as 'Anglo' thank you.

English wine beats champagne to win Decanter trophy - Telegraph

Old 10-28-2016, 05:01 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,439,917 times
Just such a disgusting man. I am ashamed to say I voted for him, and believed he was a breath of fresh air in politics. He should keep out of politics now, and concentrate on increasing his wealth.

Old 10-28-2016, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Just such a disgusting man. I am ashamed to say I voted for him, and believed he was a breath of fresh air in politics. He should keep out of politics now, and concentrate on increasing his wealth.

Blair is unusual, you very rarely see a politician hated by the left, right and centre ground of politics.

Blair is a political embarrassment who knows he will never be elected back in to power and he therefore sits on the sidelines occasionally trying to grab some headlines, but everyone knows that he no longer is respected or even liked, and he now looks a very sorry figure.

All those Directorships of Banks, Dodgy Deals with Dictators and all those millions he and his wife have made, have destroyed what little credibility Blair had, and he's now a national embarrassment and a political joke.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:55 AM

We have some good Brexit Cards, not only does the UK also has a current account deficit of more than 5 per cent of gross domestic product with the EU. An unsustainable external position being a rare benefit when you want to negotiate a trade deal, we also can lower taxes suxh as corporation tax and put in place WTO Tariffs thereby reducing the vast trade deficit with the EU and improving our blance of payments. Indeed Countries such as Germany have vast trade surpluses in goods and services, whilst the EU will be damaged by no longer having acces to London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuters

Britain could slash corporation tax to 10 percent if the European Union refuses to agree a post-Brexit free trade deal or blocks UK-based banks from accessing its market, the Sunday Times reported, citing an unidentified source.

The newspaper said the idea of halving the headline rate from 20 percent had been put forward by Prime Minister Theresa May's advisers amid growing fears other EU member states will take a hard line in Brexit negotiations. The tax cut would be used to try and persuade the EU to grant "passporting" rights for financial services firms to continue operating across the EU, the newspaper said, in a sign of the likely animosity of the upcoming divorce talks.

At a Brussels summit last week EU leaders were clear they would not allow Britain to "cherry pick" things such as free access to the market for certain sectors without taking on the full responsibilities of EU membership.

"People say we have not got any cards," the newspaper quoted an unidentified source familiar with the British government's thinking as saying. "We have some quite good cards we can play if they start getting difficult with us. If they're saying no passporting and high trade tariffs we can cut corporation tax to 10 percent," the newspaper quoted an anonymous source as saying," the source was quoted as saying.

Cutting corporation tax could attract companies away from the EU to Britain, boosting its economy and challenging Ireland's preeminence as Europe's low tax home for large international companies.

UK could slash corporation tax to 10 percent if EU blocks Brexit trade deal - Reuters

Old 10-29-2016, 02:46 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,998,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Oh how very 'European' of you! Typical Euro prejudice when it comes to anything British, a very good example I might add as to why we have gone our separate ways. I VERY much doubt that English wine would EVER get a fair 'crack of the whip' from our Euro 'friends' so I think it only wise to trade with people in this world without anti British prejudices. From now on I would rather you didn't call me 'European', I would rather be known as 'Anglo' thank you.

English wine beats champagne to win Decanter trophy - Telegraph
the obvious solution is for the British to sell their beverages in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom