Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2021, 07:35 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,584,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Worked, thx.

It's an IMF forecast for 2022. I'll check back in 2023.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 02:07 AM

602 posts, read 498,512 times
Quote:
You seem to have missed this:-

https://www.export.org.uk/news/55966...raph%20reports

Or perhaps (more likely) ignored it because it doesn't fit your agenda?
You should read the report more carefully.

The UK was hit significantly harder than most other countries by corona, but it will return to pre pandemic levels relatively quickly. However, other countries such as EU members like Spain and Italy also took similar hard hits from corona, and in that same report they are projected to return to normal even faster than the UK. In fact the report explicitly says that the UK will return to pre-pandemic levels in 2023, whereas other countries will already return to normal in 2022.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:01 AM

14,831 posts, read 12,104,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Worked, thx.

It's an IMF forecast for 2022. I'll check back in 2023.
Yes you do that, and if your forecasts are anything like the completely inaccurate, ultimately proven untrue forecasts we've had from the 'remainers' so far then I seriously doubt I will be hearing from you!?

Old 06-28-2021, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDentist View Post
You should read the report more carefully.

The UK was hit significantly harder than most other countries by corona, but it will return to pre pandemic levels relatively quickly. However, other countries such as EU members like Spain and Italy also took similar hard hits from corona, and in that same report they are projected to return to normal even faster than the UK. In fact the report explicitly says that the UK will return to pre-pandemic levels in 2023, whereas other countries will already return to normal in 2022.
Hmmm lets see -

The UK will be the fastest growing advanced economy in 2022, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) is forecasting

Looks fairly straightforward to me, I thought we were supposed to be having 'food shortages', 'high unemployment', 'crashing pound' and we were going to 'lose all of Londons financial power' etc etc. This report doesn't exactly back this up does it! lol

Its been 5 years since the Brexit vote when are these 'shortages' coming exaclty? After 10 years? 20 years? 100 years? 1000 years?

Just think 'THE FASTEST GROWING ADVANCED ECONOMY IN 2022! Looks like we should have had Brexit years ago!

Old 06-28-2021, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Hmmm lets see -

The UK will be the fastest growing advanced economy in 2022, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) is forecasting

Looks fairly straightforward to me, I thought we were supposed to be having 'food shortages', 'high unemployment', 'crashing pound' and we were going to 'lose all of Londons financial power' etc etc. This report doesn't exactly back this up does it! lol

Its been 5 years since the Brexit vote when are these 'shortages' coming exaclty? After 10 years? 20 years? 100 years? 1000 years?

Just think 'THE FASTEST GROWING ADVANCED ECONOMY IN 2022! Looks like we should have had Brexit years ago!
Yes, and the reason why is because most countries will by 2022 already have reached pre-pandemic levels, so GDP growth will resume its slow steady climb, whereas The UK will still have catching up to do.

Anyway, those are some pretty extreme predictions, and I don't agree with them. In the same way, I do not believe in the other extreme that the UK will reach South East Asian levels of growth pr. year.

I straight up don't believe in food or medicine shortages other than some disruptions here and there. I do believe London will continue to be a financial center, but it importance will decline. I think the enire UK economy will go into stagnation or very low level of growth. The UK joined EC because continental Europe was out-performing the UK, and I think we will see something similar in the future. With the ~ 27% drop in exports, we are already starting to see this.

What will be interesting is that UK politicians have spent the past 40 years blaming the EU for pretty anything slightly negative. What will they say and do, when the UK falls behind the EU, and they have no-one to blame but themselves?

Old 06-28-2021, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Yes, and the reason why is because most countries will by 2022 already have reached pre-pandemic levels, so GDP growth will resume its slow steady climb, whereas The UK will still have catching up to do.

Anyway, those are some pretty extreme predictions, and I don't agree with them. In the same way, I do not believe in the other extreme that the UK will reach South East Asian levels of growth pr. year.

I straight up don't believe in food or medicine shortages other than some disruptions here and there. I do believe London will continue to be a financial center, but it importance will decline. I think the enire UK economy will go into stagnation or very low level of growth. The UK joined EC because continental Europe was out-performing the UK, and I think we will see something similar in the future. With the ~ 27% drop in exports, we are already starting to see this.

What will be interesting is that UK politicians have spent the past 40 years blaming the EU for pretty anything slightly negative. What will they say and do, when the UK falls behind the EU, and they have no-one to blame but themselves?
Is this another 'remainer' prediciton! Obviously its going to be completely 'wrong' just like all the other predictions so far!! Lets look at this again shall we:-

Perhaps you should get back to us if this 'falling behind the EU' actually ever happens, that way you won't look so daft.

Old 06-28-2021, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Is this another 'remainer' prediciton! Obviously its going to be completely 'wrong' just like all the other predictions so far!! Lets look at this again shall we:-

Perhaps you should get back to us if this 'falling behind the EU' actually ever happens, that way you won't look so daft.
I'm the one looking daft?

The report you constantly are referring to shows the UK is already behind with 9,9% drop in GDP. Only country performing worse is Spain, but Spains recovery is even swifter than the UKs.

In the same report it is projected the unemployment rate in the UK will increase by 1,6% whereas the Euro Areas average unployment rate will only increase with 0,6%.

Furtermore the data from the report is from nov. 2020 and feb 2021, so IMF did not have access to OECD's data that shows the ~27% drop in exports of goods.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:48 AM

779 posts, read 599,767 times
Quote:

The Tories will keep blaming others no matter what happens. Many of them are surprised (Lord Frost) that they are regarded the same as the rest of third countries. They are absolutely delusional as are the hardcore brexiteers.

Brexiteers cannot point out a single concrete benefit that Brexit has brought about, they only speak in the abstract and of possible future unicorns. Yet the negatives are clearly visible to even the simplest of simpletons - more red tape in regards to the biggest trading block on the UKs doorstep, the EU, which the UK left

Old 06-29-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
The Tories will keep blaming others no matter what happens. Many of them are surprised (Lord Frost) that they are regarded the same as the rest of third countries. They are absolutely delusional as are the hardcore brexiteers.

Brexiteers cannot point out a single concrete benefit that Brexit has brought about, they only speak in the abstract and of possible future unicorns. Yet the negatives are clearly visible to even the simplest of simpletons - more red tape in regards to the biggest trading block on the UKs doorstep, the EU, which the UK left

There are NO shortages, the pound hasn't dropped, there is no mass unemployment, London is still one of the two biggest financial centres on the planet, we are doing rather well right now AND next year our economy WILL BE the FASTEST growing economy, yet you still keep harping on about Brexit, it's f*ckin hilarious!! Not only are we going to outperform our EU 'friends' we are free. Brexit is fabulous!

Old 06-29-2021, 03:15 PM

27,496 posts, read 13,714,744 times
Quote:
There are NO shortages, the pound hasn't dropped, there is no mass unemployment, London is still one of the two biggest financial centres on the planet, we are doing rather well right now AND next year our economy WILL BE the FASTEST growing economy, yet you still keep harping on about Brexit, it's f*ckin hilarious!! Not only are we going to outperform our EU 'friends' we are free. Brexit is fabulous!

Exactly easthome.

In terms of economics, there are lots of deals and reforms to be made following Brexit, and it has become tiresome to have to listen to trolls and those who are not even from Britain, telling us what to do, or trying to find anything they can to either put us down or try to paint a negative picture.

As for Brexit, as already pointed out the UK has to transition, and this is a short to medium term thing, however it is predicted as easthome rightly points out that free trade with the rest of the word will be good for Britain in the longer term.

Then again in terms of all those foreigners and trolls, I really don't give a toss about your trade deals and economy, and it's fairly plain that the only reason you come to this sub-forum is to spread your negativity and hate, and I think most UK formers are bright enough to realise this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom