Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2021, 04:11 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,893,424 times

Advertisements

A Welsh shellfish wholesaler says she is worried for her future after nearly £50,000 of lobsters, prawns and crabs were delayed for more than 30 hours on a lorry to Spain.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-55631622

This was the same woman that said....'I voted out for my grandchildren!'

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11...mBIUkrkN-rTu8g

Be careful what you wish for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 04:46 AM

27,405 posts, read 13,641,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
A Welsh shellfish wholesaler says she is worried for her future after nearly £50,000 of lobsters, prawns and crabs were delayed for more than 30 hours on a lorry to Spain.

Spain is an economic basket case, it had 25% unemployment in respect of young people after the Eurocrisis and still has a terrible economy.

The Spanish have at least mainly kept their mouths shut, as they know that if things turn ugly after Germany, they lose the most.

We have left, and you need to deal with that.

Any bad relations now will impact badly on Spain, which has a £15 Billion plus trade surplus with the UK.

If the EU wants to go to tariffs then so be it, we are making deals with other countries and can easily put tariffs on Spanish goods and services.

Old 01-14-2021, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
CANZUK is theoretical at this point, with a certain small group promoting the idea. That’s all it seems to be at this point - an idea without any specific practical political backing or discussion by the public in general. I’d not even heard of CANZUK until I came across the term in one of these threads and googled it.
Give is a chance, we have just done over 63 trade deals in two years and are now joining the CPTPP and other organisations.

Britain will be the last of the CANZUK countries to join the CPTPP trading pact and we are already making further deals with CANZUK countries.

CANZUK includes increased trade, foreign policy co-operation, military co-operation and mobility of citizens between the four states.

CANZUK, will be fairly easy to put together as it just involves closer working together in areas such as trade (which we are already undertaking), as well as further cooperation in areas such as security, defence, movement etc.

As well as the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership, CANZUK members are also all members of the Commonwealth and the Five Eyes Intelligence agreement, whilst with the exception of Canada they are all part of the Five Power Defence Arrangements. Canada and the UK are already being linked though NATO membership, so close working between all these countries already exists and CANZUK which just build on this.

These countries should have no problem in terms of even closer working through a CANZUK agreement.

Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) - Wikipedia

Five Eyes - Wikipedia

Five Powers Defence Agreement - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-14-2021 at 05:10 AM..

Old 01-14-2021, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Spain is an economic basket case, it had 25% unemployment in respect of young people after the Eurocrisis and still has a terrible economy.

The Spanish have at least mainly kept their mouths shut, as they know that if things turn ugly after Germany, they lose the most.

We have left, and you need to deal with that.

Any bad relations now will impact badly on Spain, which has a £15 Billion plus trade surplus with the UK.

If the EU wants to go to tariffs then so be it, we are making deals with other countries and can easily put tariffs on Spanish goods.
It is not a pissing competition between Spain and the UK, it's about Brexit and how Brexit will affect the UK. I have lived in Spain for 20 years and let me assure you that Spain couldn't give two figs about the UK. You sound like one of those Benidorm Brits sitting in their British bars with a €2 coffee and a brandy thinking that they are essential for the Spanish economy with their mantra of 'Nothing will change because they need us more than we need them'

Believe me, they have found out that nothing could be further from the truth.

Still. I'm glad that Brexit is all going so swimmingly...

“Emergency” measures are planned at ports to prevent feared food shortages in British supermarkets because of Brexit, a government document reveals."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...9N5pfTIUCN7vBU

Old 01-14-2021, 07:01 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,630,754 times
Quote:

She knew what she was voting for, and she won. She should stop complaining about her victory.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
It is not a pissing competition between Spain and the UK, it's about Brexit and how Brexit will affect the UK. I have lived in Spain for 20 years and let me assure you that Spain couldn't give two figs about the UK. You sound like one of those Benidorm Brits sitting in their British bars with a €2 coffee and a brandy thinking that they are essential for the Spanish economy with their mantra of 'Nothing will change because they need us more than we need them'

“Emergency” measures are planned at ports to prevent feared food shortages in British supermarkets because of Brexit, a government document reveals."

The Brexit negotiations are still on-going, what was decided in terms of the agreement was a rather thin document.

The UK will launch it's own plans latter in the year, in relation to finance, free ports and future relations etc, as well as new agreements and alliances.

However at the moment our main priority is trying to fight the most significant pandemic since the 1918 Spanish flu.

In terms of the link you posted, it related to a handful of lorries (15 in all), however if this becomes a problem then the UK can go to the body the EU agreed to set up to deal with such issues and Boris Johnson has made this clear, whilst there is also the option of reintroducing and reviewing previous planned legislation including the Internal Market Bill if necessary in order to stop this happening.

I really don't see the point of your posts, as we had a vote and have left, and have no plans of rejoining, the only thing your links suggest is that more work needs to be done in negotiations, but we already know this which is why negotiations are still on going in a number of areas and it is mutually beneficial to both sides to try and make this work as the alternative is not a new vote it's hard Brexit which will adversely hit all concerned including Spain.

As with all changes there are some initial problems but this was expected, and through more negotiations they can be ironed out, whilst in terms of NI they are still in the single market, so should not have any shortages, indeed if there were to be Brexit shortages due to not being in the single market then mainland Great Britain would be taking the brunt of shortages and not NI, then again this merely demonstrates that the UK had every right to put in place the Internal Market Bill.

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-14-2021 at 07:26 AM..

Old 01-14-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
She knew what she was voting for, and she won. She should stop complaining about her victory.
Yup! She should shut up and enjoy those 'sunlit uplands' she voted for.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:07 AM

You just couldn't make it up!

'Fish are ‘better and happier’ after Brexit because they’re ‘British’, Rees-Mogg claims

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/po...ALqnyiw6m_RK48

Old 01-14-2021, 09:54 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,086,560 times
Quote:

Look can you not get it into your head WE DON'T WANT TO BE IN THE EU! We are better off outside the corrupt, un-Democratic state of Greater Germany. The UK IS the worlds 5th largest economy, unlike Spain we DONT have 25% of our young people unemployed and we want to keep it that way! For your information we are no longer in the EU and I'm sure youre disappointed to hear this but I am NOT starving, there is NO shortages in the supermarket, I DON'T have a problem getting meds for my Mrs, the pound has NOT crashed, Gibralter IS still British & you are still nothing but a vassel state of Germany. I notice all the hurt is with YOU because its you 'spitting feathers' constantly on this thread. We've left, we're happy, we're more Democratic, we're masters of our own destiny, there is NOTHING you or anybody else in Europe can do about it, so if I were you I would 'get over it' before you give yourself a hernia or something!

Call me a 'little Englander' or a 'racist' or keep muttering on something about the British Empire from behind the safety of your keyboard if you want to but you're just coming across as petty, childish and pathetic and it is NOT going to make any difference, go and enjoy your EU if you want to, just leave us out of it!

PS. I might book my next holiday to Spain and spend my day sitting in the bar drinking beer and spend my nights puking over Spanish pavements, it will keep a few Spaniards in employment and unlike you I wish my fellow Europeans health, wealth and hapiness, after all the Spanish have been perfectly happy letting Britons do that for the last 50 years or so.

Old 01-14-2021, 10:43 AM

7,694 posts, read 5,563,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
*snip*
CANZUK includes increased trade, foreign policy co-operation, military co-operation and mobility of citizens between the four states.

CANZUK, will be fairly easy to put together as it just involves closer working together in areas such as trade (which we are already undertaking), as well as further cooperation in areas such as security, defence, movement etc.
*snip*
Sounds like a “light” version of the EU to me. Everything you mention, except freedom of movement, is being done now without the added bureaucracy of CANZAK. Any such formal organization also implies possible compromise e.g. in national decisions regarding foreign policy. Not appealing.

I think what the Biden administration does in the next two years when seeking international cooperation on various subjects, particularly in respect to China, will determine what alliances are formed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom