Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2021, 10:47 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,627,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Sounds like a “light” version of the EU to me. Everything you mention, except freedom of movement, is being done now without the added bureaucracy of CANZAK. Any such formal organization also implies possible compromise e.g. in national decisions regarding foreign policy. Not appealing.

I think what the Biden administration does in the next two years when seeking international cooperation on various subjects, particularly in respect to China, will determine what alliances are formed.
I assume CANZUK will exclude freedom of movement if the agreement is ever brought forward seriously, seeing as 51.9% of the British public voted to end freedom of movement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 10:54 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,890,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The UK IS the worlds 5th largest economy,...
Not for much longer.

Quote:
...unlike Spain we DONT have 25% of our young people unemployed...
Nor does Spain. They may be registered unemployed but they aren't.

Quote:
For your information we are no longer in the EU and I'm sure youre disappointed to hear this but I am NOT starving,
Did you expect to be after only 14 days.

Quote:
there is NO shortages in the supermarket,
There is if you live in N.Ireland

Quote:
...the pound has NOT crashed,
It's worth €1.09 from €1.33

Quote:
PS. I might book my next holiday to Spain and spend my day sitting in the bar drinking beer and spend my nights puking over Spanish pavements, it will keep a few Spaniards in employment .....
There it is right there folks.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:59 AM

27,381 posts, read 13,619,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Not for much longer.

Nor does Spain. They may be registered unemployed but they aren't.

Did you expect to be after only 14 days.

There is if you live in N.Ireland

It's worth €1.09 from €1.33

There it is right there folks.
Troll much.

According to Andrew Opie, director of the British Retail Consortium supply problems for NI supermarkets are being overcome.

Mr Opie told Mp's today that current supply problems were an "inevitable consequence" of the lateness in finalising the new trade arrangements.

You are going on and on about temporary problems at a time when we have customs officers and transport workers already stretched due to Covid.

The UK is not even reliant on the EU for most of it's food, indeed the UK Government statistics in 2018 showed that the UK is approximately 61% self-sufficient in all foods and 75% in “indigenous type food” , with a further 15 to 20% coming from across the world, and less than a quarter from the EU. So well over 75% of the UK's food does not come from the EU, and as we make more trade deals this will become even less.

Whilst there is also a campaign to increase the percentage of home grown food, and this is even more important post Brexit, with the UK Government planing new legislation.

In terms of fruit and salad vegetables vast new greenhouses such as Thanet Earth in Kent have been constructed over recent decades, indeed Thanet is now responsible for 75% of the UK's total capacity of lit tomatoes and also produces a host of other salad vegetables.

The UK doesn't rely on the EU for meat or vegetables or fruit, and the quarter it does get from the EU will gradually be eroded via new trade deals throughout the world.

So less of the dramatics.

Food security: What is it and how is it measured? - UK Parliament

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-14-2021 at 12:16 PM..

Old 01-14-2021, 03:38 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,762,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Troll much.

According to Andrew Opie, director of the British Retail Consortium supply problems for NI supermarkets are being overcome.

Mr Opie told Mp's today that current supply problems were an "inevitable consequence" of the lateness in finalising the new trade arrangements.

You are going on and on about temporary problems at a time when we have customs officers and transport workers already stretched due to Covid.

The UK is not even reliant on the EU for most of it's food, indeed the UK Government statistics in 2018 showed that the UK is approximately 61% self-sufficient in all foods and 75% in “indigenous type food” , with a further 15 to 20% coming from across the world, and less than a quarter from the EU. So well over 75% of the UK's food does not come from the EU, and as we make more trade deals this will become even less.

Whilst there is also a campaign to increase the percentage of home grown food, and this is even more important post Brexit, with the UK Government planing new legislation.

In terms of fruit and salad vegetables vast new greenhouses such as Thanet Earth in Kent have been constructed over recent decades, indeed Thanet is now responsible for 75% of the UK's total capacity of lit tomatoes and also produces a host of other salad vegetables.

The UK doesn't rely on the EU for meat or vegetables or fruit, and the quarter it does get from the EU will gradually be eroded via new trade deals throughout the world.

So less of the dramatics.

Food security: What is it and how is it measured? - UK Parliament
Brave New World, while looking at your chart I couldn't help but wonder if the trade imbalance with Spain contains a lot of olives, citrus, coconuts, etc. that would be unreasonable to grow in greenhouses. They can be sourced elsewhere, in a way that might even be cheaper, retail.

As for food, as it stands now ASDA.. is owned by Walmart, Aldi is in 36 states, and Lidl is in most of the east coast states. Aldi and Lidl have their tentacles out in North America for food sources. If push comes to shove, they can bring in certain foods without resorting to the EU.

If a trade deal is struck with Canada, expect that you'll be seeing quite a few Canadian items, especially in those 3 chains.

Old 01-14-2021, 05:49 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,579,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Brave New World, while looking at your chart I couldn't help but wonder if the trade imbalance with Spain contains a lot of olives, citrus, coconuts, etc. that would be unreasonable to grow in greenhouses. They can be sourced elsewhere, in a way that might even be cheaper, retail.

As for food, as it stands now ASDA.. is owned by Walmart, Aldi is in 36 states, and Lidl is in most of the east coast states. Aldi and Lidl have their tentacles out in North America for food sources. If push comes to shove, they can bring in certain foods without resorting to the EU.

If a trade deal is struck with Canada, expect that you'll be seeing quite a few Canadian items, especially in those 3 chains.
Walmart has sold ASDA.

https://www.supermarketnews.com/reta...sda-88-billion

Old 01-14-2021, 05:59 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,579,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You just couldn't make it up!

'Fish are ‘better and happier’ after Brexit because they’re ‘British’, Rees-Mogg claims

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/po...ALqnyiw6m_RK48
Whatever about the fish, the fishers are not happy. Prices in Peterhead dropped 80%. Fish strangled in red tape. Maybe the fishers will have Moggy sleep with the fishes.....
I hear also, the euros are confiscating hang sammiches from UK truckers.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Troll much.
Why? Because I disagree with you??

Exports to EU to plunge by more than one-third because of Boris Johnson’s Brexit trade deal, study warns

Income per head is forecast to fall by 6 per cent – just 2 per cent less than under a no-deal departure

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...box=1610639374

Quote:

Brilliant! Now who is going to pick it?

Last edited by Rafius; 01-15-2021 at 12:04 AM..

Old 01-14-2021, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Whatever about the fish, the fishers are not happy. Prices in Peterhead dropped 80%. Fish strangled in red tape. Maybe the fishers will have Moggy sleep with the fishes......
Most of the Scottish fleet are tied up because it's not worth going to sea. Still, teething problems I expect!

Old 01-15-2021, 02:41 AM

602 posts, read 497,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Spain primarily export machinery, electrical equipment and vehicles to the UK. Fruits, nuts and other edibles are actually kinda low on the list. Would be a shame for Spanish farmers to lose the UK market, and of course for British consumers.

Old 01-15-2021, 04:26 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,080,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I assume CANZUK will exclude freedom of movement if the agreement is ever brought forward seriously, seeing as 51.9% of the British public voted to end freedom of movement.
Not this 'old chestnut' again! 51.9% didn't vote to end the freedom of movement! 51.9% voted for control over their own borders! There is a MASSIVE difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom