Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2023, 12:14 PM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Bummer- keybord playing up, but I'd be wasting my time.

You don't speak for all Brexiters- there's a new word out called Bregret.
The British people are not going to vote to rejoin or to give up their currency, borders, national sovereignty, as well as paying price the price to do so.

Neither Labour or the Tories want to rejoin, and neither see any economic benefit from doing so, and that's straight out of Labour leader Keir Starmers own lips.

I just don't know why some people keep going on and on and on instead of just moving on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2023, 02:33 PM

16,656 posts, read 17,424,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The British people are not going to vote to rejoin or to give up their currency, borders, national sovereignty, as well as paying price the price to do so.

Neither Labour or the Tories want to rejoin, and neither see any economic benefit from doing so, and that's straight out of Labour leader Keir Starmers own lips.

I just don't know why some people keep going on and on and on instead of just moving on.
Rejoining the EU is unlikely, but is not the only option.

The two main parties may not wish to rejoin, but there are many people who are disillusioned with the current state of affairs. Starmer is afraid to state the bloody obvious.

Moving on?

Tell the farmers who can't get seasonal labour.
Tell the fishermen who can't sell their catch in the EU, their main market.
Tell the hauliers who are swamped with Brexit related paperwork.
Tell the financial service industry, many of whom have lost trade with the EU as they are not licenced to trade there.
Tell countless small businesses that used to trade seamlessly with the EU, but find it too difficlt now.
Tell British people with holiday homes in the EU who are no longer free to stay there when they want.
Tell UK pensioners living in the EU who are suffering due to the value of the pound far lower after the referendum.
Tell touring freelance musicians who have lost significant work in the EU.
Tell scientists locked out of major EU projects.

The list goes on and on, and for WHAT? Don't reply with the spurious guff of 'sovereignity' or 'freedom'. We always had the former and have lost much of the latter. Something real!

Old 01-17-2023, 03:04 PM

2,334 posts, read 844,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
It didn't 'stop the flow', Illegal immigration has been an issue for NOT JUST THE UK for decades and the fact is Calais is NOT part of the UK! You are quite correct it IS up to the French to stop the flow, I still don't know what Brexit has to do with it And again I'm not sure why you keep talking about Romanians!?? You are obviously finding false news from somewhere!?? The reality is that most of the illegal arrivals in the boats this year have been Albanian!

I suppose that to somebody like you Alabanians and Romanians are 'all the same'? A sad by-product of the EU perhaps? Peoples Sovereignty being erased.
Ah Yes, the Sovereignty ! Didn't do much good for Europe historically. Lots of little wars, rivalries, mostly caused by various despots and then in the last 100 years two wars that cost millions of lives and misery beyond description.

Aside from Renegade Russia the chance of wars in Europe has diminished to zero and you can thank the European Union for that.

Far better the bureaucrats argue with each other in Brussels than shooting at each other from the trenches what eh?

Old 01-18-2023, 01:45 AM

Quote:

The two main parties may not wish to rejoin, but there are many people who are disillusioned with the current state of affairs. Starmer is afraid to state the bloody obvious.

Moving on?

Tell the financial service industry, many of whom have lost trade with the EU as they are not licenced to trade there.
Tell countless small businesses that used to trade seamlessly with the EU, but find it too difficlt now.
Tell British people with holiday homes in the EU who are no longer free to stay there when they want.
Tell UK pensioners living in the EU who are suffering due to the value of the pound far lower after the referendum.

The list goes on and on, and for WHAT? Don't reply with the spurious guff of 'sovereignity' or 'freedom'. We always had the former and have lost much of the latter. Something real!
There's no reason why farmers can't get seasonal labour, as you can still apply for temporary working visas, and Britain has now stopped beneficial immigration. As for Agriculture it accounts for 0.5% of GDP

Whilst the Fisherman who contribute a mighty 0.03% of total UK economic are still able to sell their produce.

The Financial Services Industry want de-regulation and less EU red tape in terms of global markets, and this is the preferred option in terms of the Financial Sector.

In terms of the other things you mention, they can be dealt with the same way other non-EU countries deal with them and that is through smaller TCA's, (Trade and Cooperation Agreements) and this is how the US and other countries that don't have trade agreements with the EU deal with such matters.

Btw - it's not the UK stopping or telling countless people, it's the EU and it's ever increasing and centralised Kafkaesque bureaucratic red tape,

Old 01-18-2023, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
Ah Yes, the Sovereignty ! Didn't do much good for Europe historically. Lots of little wars, rivalries, mostly caused by various despots and then in the last 100 years two wars that cost millions of lives and misery beyond description.

Aside from Renegade Russia the chance of wars in Europe has diminished to zero and you can thank the European Union for that.

Far better the bureaucrats argue with each other in Brussels than shooting at each other from the trenches what eh?
Then again you are a man who claims the US saved our asses in WW2 and that British Military Museums are full of American equipment.

You also seem to enjoy lecturing to the British regarding Brexit, something that won't even effect you.

The truth is the EU is fairly toothless, and it's NATO that has kept the peace, indeed the EU was embarrassing in terms of the Balkan conflict and is still divided and pathetic in terms of events in Ukraine.

Furthermore Britain has joined EU schemes to try and improve EU defence despite Brexit, and these include the Permanent Structured Cooperation (PESCO) as well as the European military mobility project, and the UK has a close military alliance with France based on the Lancaster House Treaties, as well as a close relationship with many North European countries based around the Joint Expeditionary Force.

Britain has also encouraged European nations to spend at least 2% of GDP on defence, and in terms of NATO Britain hosts and supplies a good deal of support to elements such as the Allied Rapid Reaction Corps (ARRC) which are based at Imjin Barracks in Gloucester, as well as the NATO Allied Maritime Command based at Northwood.

Britain actually goes above and beyond in terms of European defence, and this should not be forgotten.

As for the two world wars, they were wars Britain could have chosen to stay out of, and were not wars caused by Britain, whilst in terms of Post WW2 it's NATO that has kept the peace and not the EU.

As for the US, it hasn't stopped fighting pointless wars since the end of WW2, and these include Vietnam and the so called war on terror in Iraq and Afghanistan.

It also now seems that the US is now looking at China as it's new enemy, with the current gaff ridden US President continually makes claims that the US is committed to defending Taiwan.

The US also seems intend on trying to drag the entire west including the EU and NATO in to this pending conflict with China and her allies, which could result in the end of the world as we know it.

So Americans should not really be criticising others or giving lectures in global peace.

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-18-2023 at 02:21 AM..

Old 01-18-2023, 03:57 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,016,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post

What has this got to do with anything? Who is looking to 'go to war'? Are you suggesting that we all need a Kim Jong Un in charge to 'stop war'!!? You may not have any freedom and as long as you know your place and leave the 'good living' to us elites then at least you don't have to fight in a trench!?

Some of us know that fighting for freedom is worth it, it's a fight that's been going on for thousands of years.

Old 01-18-2023, 04:06 AM

Quote:

Moving on?

Freedom is about Democracy, its governing for the people by the people. The EU is autocratic, you may be happy being told how you must live your life but others are not.

Most of these are the remainer 'lies' that were banded about pre-vote, why not go the whole hog and start claiming there are food shortages or medicine shortages! All that scaremongering has been proven to be just that - scaremongering! I don't see the people I know with holiday homes in Spain having any issues going to their holiday homes in Spain

As for the pound against the euro it is at the same rate that it was in Jan 2009, besides I have NO SYMPATHY for anybody that has left the UK to go and live elsewhere - you make your own choices in this life.

Old 01-18-2023, 05:41 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,424,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Freedom is about Democracy, its governing for the people by the people. The EU is autocratic, you may be happy being told how you must live your life but others are not.

Most of these are the remainer 'lies' that were banded about pre-vote, why not go the whole hog and start claiming there are food shortages or medicine shortages! All that scaremongering has been proven to be just that - scaremongering! I don't see the people I know with holiday homes in Spain having any issues going to their holiday homes in Spain

As for the pound against the euro it is at the same rate that it was in Jan 2009, besides I have NO SYMPATHY for anybody that has left the UK to go and live elsewhere - you make your own choices in this life.
Same old record. Tell me precisely where I lied.

As to EU/UK democracy have a look at this:

Brexit is here!-democracycompared.jpg

Oh goodie- the pound is as low now as it was then.

Holiday homes- there are restrictions on how long Brits can stay there. Before Brexit there were no restrictions.

So you have no sympathy for people who legally went to live in the EU. Personally I don't care. Just because you claim not to be affected by things does not mean that others have had significant difficulties in their lives.

Even the beloved Daily Express points these issues out.

Old 01-18-2023, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Same old record. Tell me precisely where I lied.

As to EU/UK democracy have a look at this:

Attachment 241487

Oh goodie- the pound is as low now as it was then.

Holiday homes- there are restrictions on how long Brits can stay there. Before Brexit there were no restrictions.

So you have no sympathy for people who legally went to live in the EU. Personally I don't care. Just because you claim not to be affected by things does not mean that others have had significant difficulties in their lives.

Even the beloved Daily Express points these issues out.
I'm not sure what it is you posted but it doesn't seem to prove anything? Fact is I got to vote for my Prime Minister, I didn't get to vote on ANYTHING when it came to the EU, we joined a European Market NOT a European Parliament - so tell me if it supposed to be Democratic why didn't they let us vote on it and why now are they telling us we are not allowed to 'leave'?

Same old record.

Freedom is THE most important aspect for ANY society.

Old 01-18-2023, 08:19 AM

474 posts, read 263,332 times
A selection of headlines this morning just from Bloomberg. Maybe they're in competition with NYT to be the most anti UK publisher out there.

Quote:
Sunak Escalates Scotland Feud With Gender Equality Law Veto
Scottish Independence Support Rises as UK Standoff Escalates
UK’s Top Court Quashes Scotland’s Bid for New Independence Vote
Truss’s Jibe at Sturgeon Riles Scots Seeking Independence Vote
How to Understand the Debate Over Transgender Rights
London’s lead over the US in finance exports is shrinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom