Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2021, 04:11 PM

779 posts, read 596,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
There are NO shortages, the pound hasn't dropped, there is no mass unemployment, London is still one of the two biggest financial centres on the planet, we are doing rather well right now AND next year our economy WILL BE the FASTEST growing economy, yet you still keep harping on about Brexit, it's f*ckin hilarious!! Not only are we going to outperform our EU 'friends' we are free. Brexit is fabulous!
In a June 23 letter sent to Prime Minister Boris Johnson, the industry called for his personal intervention to allow access to European labour by introducing temporary worker visas for HGV drivers and adding them to a "shortage occupation list".

"Supermarkets are already reporting that they are not receiving their expected food stocks and, as a result, there is considerable wastage," said Richard Burnett, the chief executive of the Road Haulage Association, which co-ordinated the letter.

Britain's supermarket industry, led by Tesco (TSCO.L), Sainsbury's (SBRY.L), Asda and Morrisons (MRW.L), relies on an army of drivers and warehouse workers to bring fresh produce from the fields of Europe to its shelves.

The letter said intervention from government was now the only way to avert "critical supply chains failing at an unprecedented and unimaginable level".

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/bri...is-2021-06-25/

Right, what do people working in the logistics business actually know about logistics that your run-for-the-mill barstool blowhard brexiteer doesn't?

Why, how can anyone claim Brexit doesn't make their live easier? For instance, it'll be much easier to shop with less choices to make. And no wondering where to live once you get to be a pensioner: spain, south of france? No, Sir, Britain of course, why, it'll probably get even easier soon: England. And going on a holiday abroad will be so much more peaceful and relaxing without being on your mobile all the time, thanks to the re-introduction of roaming charges. Hooray for sovereignty! Brexit, so much winning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2021, 02:44 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
In a June 23 letter sent to Prime Minister Boris Johnson, the industry called for his personal intervention to allow access to European labour by introducing temporary worker visas for HGV drivers and adding them to a "shortage occupation list".

"Supermarkets are already reporting that they are not receiving their expected food stocks and, as a result, there is considerable wastage," said Richard Burnett, the chief executive of the Road Haulage Association, which co-ordinated the letter.

Britain's supermarket industry, led by Tesco (TSCO.L), Sainsbury's (SBRY.L), Asda and Morrisons (MRW.L), relies on an army of drivers and warehouse workers to bring fresh produce from the fields of Europe to its shelves.

The letter said intervention from government was now the only way to avert "critical supply chains failing at an unprecedented and unimaginable level".

Right, what do people working in the logistics business actually know about logistics that your run-for-the-mill barstool blowhard brexiteer doesn't?

Why, how can anyone claim Brexit doesn't make their live easier? For instance, it'll be much easier to shop with less choices to make. And no wondering where to live once you get to be a pensioner: spain, south of france? No, Sir, Britain of course, why, it'll probably get even easier soon: England. And going on a holiday abroad will be so much more peaceful and relaxing without being on your mobile all the time, thanks to the re-introduction of roaming charges. Hooray for sovereignty! Brexit, so much winning!
This is nonsense, I am born and bred British, and there are no supermarket shortages.

As for the UK transport system new rail logistic hubs are being built, as well as free ports established, and food comes from across the world and not just from Europe.

Rail freight key to regional decarbonisation plans in the UK, and Freightliner’s new 775m-long intermodal container trains will also help take more trucks off the roads.

DP World’s UK Port and Logistics Hub customers are first to benefit from Freightliner’s new 775-metre long trains -RailBusinessDaily

In terms of the UK, less than 10% of goods come in to the country by truck, with the vast majority coming in on container ships at docks, which are linked to rail systems and can take goods to an ever increasing number of inland freight hubs, where they can be put on trucks for relatively short journeys within a region. This is how the UK is significantly cutting the number of trucks on British roads, and the future is increasingly rail freight rather than road freight, and this has been the policy for a number of years.

Most people can even order food on-line and it will be delivered very quickly, and the same is true of food apps, and the logistics system in the UK is one of the best in the world.

There's a vast new rail freight interchange being built in Nothampton Gateway which will create 7,500 jobs and another in the Midlands, as well as others in London and throughout the UK, whilst the UK is also looking at new technology.

UK’s intermodal terminals on the rise - Rail Freight

Northampton Gateway

MARITIME RAIL FREIGHT - SEGRO (East Midlands)

Midlands Rail Hub to create 36 extra freight paths - Rail Freight

London has also developed a new rail freight strategy, as part of a move towards increased levels of rail freight as opposed to lorries/trucks.

London’s rail freight profile needs adjustments to cope with demand - Rail Freight

Whilst the future is more driverless trucks and automated vehicles.

What will self-driving trucks mean for truck drivers? - BBC News (2021)

At the same time vast new hydroponic greenhouse schemes are increasingly being built to supply fruit and vegetables, and the UK is also investing in vast sustainable green energy schemes.

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-30-2021 at 03:41 AM..

Old 06-30-2021, 04:41 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post

I don't know how many times I have to tell you this but THERE ARE NO SHORTAGES OF ANY KIND!
I AM British, I LIVE HERE NOW, the last time I went to the shops was the day before YESTERDAY.
I live in a fairly non-descript medium sized town halfway between London and Brighton, it has 3 hypermarkets a Tesco and Asda which are open for 24 hours a day (except Sundays, when they open from 10 until 4) and a Sainsbury's (which I was in the day before yesterday), they are ALL packed with food, clothes, electrical equipment and just about anything you could ever need in life, there are also two M&S Supermarkets, an Aldi, a Lidl, two Tesco Express (smaller Tesco's that close at 11pm), a couple of CoOp sumpermarkets and 'other' food shops in the different neighbourhoods that make up the town of Crawley, they are ALL full. The day before yesterday I also went into the Shopping Mall to get my sister something for her birthday, the Mall is doing great business, with the exception of Debenhams which has closed (its a chain that has stopped trading) ALL the shops are FULL, I went to The Fragrance Shop and bought her Dolce & Gabbana 'Light Blue', I then went to The Card Shop and bought a card before grabbing a Kebab from one of the Kebab houses and going home.
The shops are full, the streets are full of shoppers, the Mall is full, the supermarkets are full. There are no shortages, none, da nada. Last night the pubs were PACKED with people enjoying the beer, the Summer evening and the football, the pizza shops and other take-aways were RUN OFF THEIR FEET catering to the hoards out for the footy and I imagine that the (completely full) medicines isles at all of these shops are doing a good trade this morning in paracetamol's as people wake up with their celebratory headaches.
So what does that leave you with? Roaming charges!! lol And how long will that last when mobile phone companies start offering savings for overseas travellers (its called competition)? Besides as we speak Merkel and Macron are desperately trying to keep Britons from entering Europe at all! You can imagine what the Spanish and Greeks are thinking about that!! Another win for the British tourist industry perhaps! Luckily enough the shops in Cornwall and other UK tourist hotspots are completely full and able to cater to the massive increase in trade coming their way!
Its win, win, win

Oh and most importantly of all we're 'free' of the EU shackles.

If, like you, you are thousands of miles away from the UK and you want the truth then I suggest you ask somebody that actually lives here how things are looking because we are 'the horses mouth'.

Old 06-30-2021, 09:12 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,568,841 times
Quote:
I don't know how many times I have to tell you this but THERE ARE NO SHORTAGES OF ANY KIND!
I AM British, I LIVE HERE NOW, the last time I went to the shops was the day before YESTERDAY.
I live in a fairly non-descript medium sized town halfway between London and Brighton, it has 3 hypermarkets a Tesco and Asda which are open for 24 hours a day (except Sundays, when they open from 10 until 4) and a Sainsbury's (which I was in the day before yesterday), they are ALL packed with food, clothes, electrical equipment and just about anything you could ever need in life, there are also two M&S Supermarkets, an Aldi, a Lidl, two Tesco Express (smaller Tesco's that close at 11pm), a couple of CoOp sumpermarkets and 'other' food shops in the different neighbourhoods that make up the town of Crawley, they are ALL full. The day before yesterday I also went into the Shopping Mall to get my sister something for her birthday, the Mall is doing great business, with the exception of Debenhams which has closed (its a chain that has stopped trading) ALL the shops are FULL, I went to The Fragrance Shop and bought her Dolce & Gabbana 'Light Blue', I then went to The Card Shop and bought a card before grabbing a Kebab from one of the Kebab houses and going home.
The shops are full, the streets are full of shoppers, the Mall is full, the supermarkets are full. There are no shortages, none, da nada. Last night the pubs were PACKED with people enjoying the beer, the Summer evening and the football, the pizza shops and other take-aways were RUN OFF THEIR FEET catering to the hoards out for the footy and I imagine that the (completely full) medicines isles at all of these shops are doing a good trade this morning in paracetamol's as people wake up with their celebratory headaches.
So what does that leave you with? Roaming charges!! lol And how long will that last when mobile phone companies start offering savings for overseas travellers (its called competition)? Besides as we speak Merkel and Macron are desperately trying to keep Britons from entering Europe at all! You can imagine what the Spanish and Greeks are thinking about that!! Another win for the British tourist industry perhaps! Luckily enough the shops in Cornwall and other UK tourist hotspots are completely full and able to cater to the massive increase in trade coming their way!
Its win, win, win

Oh and most importantly of all we're 'free' of the EU shackles.

If, like you, you are thousands of miles away from the UK and you want the truth then I suggest you ask somebody that actually lives here how things are looking because we are 'the horses mouth'.
How go the sausage wars?

Old 06-30-2021, 09:40 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
How go the sausage wars?
The EU has now backed down, with their negotiator Šefčovič suddenly realising a solution is actually possible, which relates to a complete backtrack by the EU.

EU suggests deal could be struck on Brexit ‘sausage wars’ in next 48 hours - The Independent

Brexit: Šefčovič 'confident' about chilled meat ban solution - BBC News

Old 06-30-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
How go the sausage wars?
Going well I believe? I think the easiest thing to do is to tell the EU to p*ss off and build a big f*ck off wall on our land boarder.......................then its problem solved no?

What has this got to do with the massive success Brexit is proving to be?

Old 06-30-2021, 01:02 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,568,841 times
Quote:
Going well I believe? I think the easiest thing to do is to tell the EU to p*ss off and build a big f*ck off wall on our land boarder.......................then its problem solved no?

What has this got to do with the massive success Brexit is proving to be?
Without Brexit, no sausage wars.

Old 06-30-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Without Brexit, no sausage wars.
There are no 'sausage wars', in fact I've just earlier made myself some sausage and mustard mash with onion gravy.

Sausage was delicious! I got it from Sainsbury's, I couldn't decide between a Cumberland sausage or Lincolnshire sausage so I let my Mrs choose, she told me to go for the Lincolnshire, there were plenty to choose from!

Old 07-01-2021, 03:19 AM

602 posts, read 496,012 times
Quote:
There are no 'sausage wars', in fact I've just earlier made myself some sausage and mustard mash with onion gravy.

Sausage was delicious! I got it from Sainsbury's, I couldn't decide between a Cumberland sausage or Lincolnshire sausage so I let my Mrs choose, she told me to go for the Lincolnshire, there were plenty to choose from!
... but easthome what is the true difference between your Mrs and french women? These are the questions we should be discussing.

Old 07-01-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDentist View Post
... but easthome what is the true difference between your Mrs and french women? These are the questions we should be discussing.
Yes quite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom