Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2022, 01:01 PM

16,701 posts, read 17,474,142 times

Advertisements

Ignore post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 07:33 PM

15,473 posts, read 9,161,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Is this what you want:-

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...yref-year.html

Like most 'remainers' you choose to cherry pick your facts - facts like Scots want to be back in the EU.

There are 5.454 million Scots of which 1,661,191 actually voted to remain in the EU.
I think it is you who is cherry picking. The article I gave you was the most recent, dated 3 July 2022. Your article is dated 8 May 2022. Why did you choose older data over the most recent?

Old 07-25-2022, 11:27 PM

2,371 posts, read 871,012 times
Any future referendum would have to be allowed by 10 Downing St. Boris Johnson asked Nicola Sturgeon to honour the 2014 referendum which she has declined to do. If she were to bypass 10 Downing and go ahead with the one scheduled next year it would cause a big problem with the EU and any future request for membership.

According to an article in a leading British newspaper "The Daily Express" dated June 16 this year Sturgeon's popularity is declining and voters are beginning to turn away from the SNP

Last edited by James Austen; 07-25-2022 at 11:41 PM..

Old 07-25-2022, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Quebec and Scotland are apples and oranges. Totally different situations. The Scots I have heard talk, don't want independence at all. They voted independence down in 2014. What they want now is to be out of the UK and back into the EU. But that is just what I hear from this side of the ocean. Maybe you have better information.

Say what ? shakes head, rolls eyes

Old 07-26-2022, 05:33 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,070,837 times
Quote:
I think it is you who is cherry picking. The article I gave you was the most recent, dated 3 July 2022. Your article is dated 8 May 2022. Why did you choose older data over the most recent?
Well which is correct? From what I can gather (actually living in Britain) it seems that most Scots do NOT want to ditch its claim to the English throne, how does it look from the 'other side of the word'? Also the numbers I gave concerning the actual amount of people in Scotland who voted remain are obviously a fact.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Well which is correct? From what I can gather (actually living in Britain) it seems that most Scots do NOT want to ditch its claim to the English throne, how does it look from the 'other side of the word'? Also the numbers I gave concerning the actual amount of people in Scotland who voted remain are obviously a fact.
Both are probably correct. The momentum for independence seems to be picking up steam. But you have to look at the most recent numbers. Either way it's too close to call. Pretty much like Brexit. They might as well just flip a coin. It could go either way.

As far as the monarchy goes, I'm no expert on that. But do they have to give that up if they get independence? Queen Elizabeth II is the head of state of at least a dozen countries in the world, most of which are not part of the United Kingdom. I would guess that she would continue to be the head of state of an independent Scotland. But even if they had to cut ties with the monarchy to gain independence, that would not be the end of the world. Us Americans did it almost 250 years ago, and we have never looked back since.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:13 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,070,837 times
Quote:
Both are probably correct. The momentum for independence seems to be picking up steam. But you have to look at the most recent numbers. Either way it's too close to call. Pretty much like Brexit. They might as well just flip a coin. It could go either way.

As far as the monarchy goes, I'm no expert on that. But do they have to give that up if they get independence? Queen Elizabeth II is the head of state of at least a half a dozen countries in the world, most of which are not part of the United Kingdom. I would guess that she would continue to be the head of state of an independent Scotland. But even if they had to cut ties with the monarchy to gain independence, that would not be the end of the world. Us Americans did it almost 250 years ago, and we have never looked back since.
You don't seem to understand how much Scotland relies on money from south of the border!
Most Scots don't want to pull out of the Union, its not 'close', most Scots do still rule with their head and not the hatred put in their hearts, however those that do want to cut ties (usually Scottish Nationalist xenophobes) appear to think that they can have their cake AND eat it! If you really understood the Scottish zealots you would understand that having the Queen as 'head of state' would be impossible.

What I want to know is why are the English taxpayers paying so that the Scots get free University tuition and free prescriptions while my daughter had to put herself into debt to attend University and I have to pay for any medication I might need? Oh yeah of course - its because its the English who are the despots right?

Old 07-26-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:

As far as the monarchy goes, I'm no expert on that. But do they have to give that up if they get independence? Queen Elizabeth II is the head of state of at least a half a dozen countries in the world, most of which are not part of the United Kingdom. I would guess that she would continue to be the head of state of an independent Scotland. But even if they had to cut ties with the monarchy to gain independence, that would not be the end of the world. Us Americans did it almost 250 years ago, and we have never looked back since.
Yeah but how would you feel if California, Oregon, Washington and New York left the Union and formed their own Blue Democrat Republic ?

As a Brit born and bred I would be more than sad to see the land of my birth break up because of petty, self indulgent nationalist feelings.

I know the Scots far better than you could ever hope to know. They're a canny bunch and just trying to get the golden goose in London to lay a few more eggs in their back yard.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
You don't seem to understand how much Scotland relies on money from south of the border!
Most Scots don't want to pull out of the Union, its not 'close', most Scots do still rule with their head and not the hatred put in their hearts, however those that do want to cut ties (usually Scottish Nationalist xenophobes) appear to think that they can have their cake AND eat it! If you really understood the Scottish zealots you would understand that having the Queen as 'head of state' would be impossible.

What I want to know is why are the English taxpayers paying so that the Scots get free University tuition and free prescriptions while my daughter had to put herself into debt to attend University and I have to pay for any medication I might need? Oh yeah of course - its because its the English who are the despots right?
So why are you worried about it? You should be encouraging them to become independent, so you don't have to send them all that money.

Anyway, don't worry too much about Scotland. Ireland has done just fine since their independence from the UK. Scotland has a lot of natural resources. They will be just fine too.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
Yeah but how would you feel if California, Oregon, Washington and New York left the Union and formed their own Blue Democrat Republic ?

As a Brit born and bred I would be more than sad to see the land of my birth break up because of petty, self indulgent nationalist feelings.

I know the Scots far better than you could ever hope to know. They're a canny bunch and just trying to get the golden goose in London to lay a few more eggs in their back yard.
I would love that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom