Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2022, 01:23 PM

15,589 posts, read 7,620,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You don't seem to understand how much Scotland relies on money from south of the border!
Most Scots don't want to pull out of the Union, its not 'close', most Scots do still rule with their head and not the hatred put in their hearts, however those that do want to cut ties (usually Scottish Nationalist xenophobes) appear to think that they can have their cake AND eat it! If you really understood the Scottish zealots you would understand that having the Queen as 'head of state' would be impossible.

What I want to know is why are the English taxpayers paying so that the Scots get free University tuition and free prescriptions while my daughter had to put herself into debt to attend University and I have to pay for any medication I might need? Oh yeah of course - its because its the English who are the despots right?
How would the money flow change if Scotland got to keep all of the North Sea oil and gas taxes, with none going to Whitehall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 01:51 PM

12,965 posts, read 13,404,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
Yeah but how would you feel if California, Oregon, Washington and New York left the Union and formed their own Blue Democrat Republic ?
We can only hope!

Old 07-26-2022, 01:57 PM

15,490 posts, read 9,176,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
How would the money flow change if Scotland got to keep all of the North Sea oil and gas taxes, with none going to Whitehall?
That's the real problem. It's all about money. The UK can't afford to lose Scotland.

Old 07-26-2022, 02:00 PM

2,384 posts, read 875,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
So why are you worried about it? You should be encouraging them to become independent, so you don't have to send them all that money.

Anyway, don't worry too much about Scotland. Ireland has done just fine since their independence from the UK. Scotland has a lot of natural resources. They will be just fine too.

Who owns the oil rigs in the north sea and who owns the companies that drill for the oil? Anyone who thinks that the Scots could just lay claim to it all is a person who I think might be interested in buying the Brooklyn Bridge

Old 07-26-2022, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
We can only hope!

Definitely a plus for us all here if Trump ever gets his crooked hands on the tiller again.

Old 07-26-2022, 02:12 PM

Quote:
That's the real problem. It's all about money. The UK can't afford to lose Scotland.

If it did I could see the price of Scotch and lamb chops going up a bit. They'd have to give haggis away free though

Old 07-26-2022, 03:03 PM

15,589 posts, read 7,620,110 times
Quote:
Who owns the oil rigs in the north sea and who owns the companies that drill for the oil? Anyone who thinks that the Scots could just lay claim to it all is a person who I think might be interested in buying the Brooklyn Bridge
Under international law, nearly all of the productive UK North Sea would belong to Scotland, and Scotland would be the beneficiary of the taxes paid on those extractive activities.

Old 07-26-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Under international law, nearly all of the productive UK North Sea would belong to Scotland, and Scotland would be the beneficiary of the taxes paid on those extractive activities.
Since 2008/9 UK oil and gas revenues fell from 10.6 billion Pounds Sterling (0.7 percent of GDP) to 0.6 billion Pounds Sterling (0.03 of GDP) in 2019-20. The UK also imports oil from Norway. The UK's global ranking in oil producing nations is 15th.

Lets not forget also that the world is gradually and irrevocably moving away from fossil fuels. The Scots would sooner than later have to find a better source of revenue.

Old 07-26-2022, 03:46 PM

12,965 posts, read 13,404,579 times
Quote:
Definitely a plus for us all here if Trump ever gets his crooked hands on the tiller again.
He won’t be in the White House again, he’s too old…. and might be in a federal prison by then.
I’d bet on Governor Desantis.
Anyone would be friendlier to the UK though…. After the Biden/Obama fiascos.

Old 07-27-2022, 04:26 AM

14,823 posts, read 12,078,383 times
Quote:
So why are you worried about it? You should be encouraging them to become independent, so you don't have to send them all that money.

Anyway, don't worry too much about Scotland. Ireland has done just fine since their independence from the UK. Scotland has a lot of natural resources. They will be just fine too.
Unfortunately I'm English and I don't get a choice in the matter, that privilege is only afforded to the erm "oppressed" Scots!! As for the Irish they are just EU lapdogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom