Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 06:00 PM

542 posts, read 447,474 times

Advertisements

https://nypost.com/2023/01/11/prince...-sales-record/

Prince Harry’s controversial autobiography “Spare” has shattered the United Kingdom’s record for the best-selling nonfiction book in history, its publisher announced on Tuesday.

“Spare,” which details Harry’s account of his various personal troubles and contentious relationship with other members of the royal family, has sold approximately 400,000 copies in hardback, e-book and audio formats since its official release Tuesday.

“We always knew this book would fly but it is exceeding even our most bullish expectations,” Transworld Penguin Random House managing director Larry Finlay said in a statement on the sales record.

“As far as we know, the only books to have sold more in their first day are those starring the other Harry (Potter),” the statement added.

The book appears to be very successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2023, 06:02 PM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Gross.

Old 01-11-2023, 06:14 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,335,020 times
Surprisingly, the local library sent a copy to me. I'd only put my name down on the wait list a little bit ago. It's a 'troubling' book, for sure.

Parts are profoundly misleading to the point of being outright falsified. Harry leaves out key events in accounts ... ignores major factors to craft analyses that are incomplete at best. As a writer, he employs a very bad habit of direct quoting another then weaving the quote into HIS version of events making it 'evidence' for Harry's assertions. Not!

The book structure is uneven: long discourses on Harry's inner self complete with extensive descriptive passages of important events in his life. Into that he places brief kamikaze style attacks on his family that frankly are very hard to figure out - unless, of course, the reader just wants to adopt Harry's conclusion.

Overall it's is a very sad book - of a troubled man who experienced significant trauma from early life events that he has yet to overcome to live life as mature healthy adult.

Old 01-11-2023, 07:28 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Surprisingly, the local library sent a copy to me. I'd only put my name down on the wait list a little bit ago. It's a 'troubling' book, for sure.

Parts are profoundly misleading to the point of being outright falsified. Harry leaves out key events in accounts ... ignores major factors to craft analyses that are incomplete at best. As a writer, he employs a very bad habit of direct quoting another then weaving the quote into HIS version of events making it 'evidence' for Harry's assertions. Not!

The book structure is uneven: long discourses on Harry's inner self complete with extensive descriptive passages of important events in his life. Into that he places brief kamikaze style attacks on his family that frankly are very hard to figure out - unless, of course, the reader just wants to adopt Harry's conclusion.

Overall it's is a very sad book - of a troubled man who experienced significant trauma from early life events that he has yet to overcome to live life as mature healthy adult.
I think you've written a good description of the book (although I haven't read it but have seen him so much on tv and have heard so many quotes.) It's a shame that there will be more books, more dragging up the miserable past instead of coming to terms with it and trying to heal. I guess one thing that really gets me is when he says THEY can apologize. Not Harry and Meghan, THEY have nothing to apologize for, it's everyone else's fault. Everything is someone else's fault and H&M are patiently awaiting an apology. Good luck with that!

Old 01-11-2023, 08:24 PM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
I am halfway through and I think he is mentally unwell. He’s also been spoiled rotten. He needs help. He’s very delusional.

He says he loves his father and brother but I don’t believe him. He brags how he was such a great soldier, but I don’t believe that story either. Someone that dumb can’t be a pilot.

Old 01-11-2023, 08:31 PM

1,380 posts, read 721,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
I am halfway through and I think he is mentally unwell. He’s also been spoiled rotten. He needs help. He’s very delusional.

He says he loves his father and brother but I don’t believe him. He brags how he was such a great soldier, but I don’t believe that story either. Someone that dumb can’t be a pilot.
Scary, isn't it?! Yes, and he and the other numbskull are raising 2 children.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:51 PM

2,333 posts, read 844,400 times
I'm going to "Spare" my piggy bank and not buy the book

Last edited by James Austen; 01-11-2023 at 11:04 PM..

Old 01-12-2023, 12:28 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,603,730 times
I've always been interested in the British royal family; but I will definitely avoid this book and all of Harry & Meghan's TV appearances. Life is too short to waste time on this nonsense.

Old 01-12-2023, 12:35 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I've always been interested in the British royal family; but I will definitely avoid this book and all of Harry & Meghan's TV appearances. Life is too short to waste time on this nonsense.
A person with class never trashes their own family. I am so sick of hearing about this couple. Why do news organizations help troublemakers. No I don't want to see anything about them or read anything about them. I wish they would leave America.

Old 01-12-2023, 12:53 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
https://nypost.com/2023/01/11/prince...-sales-record/

Prince Harry’s controversial autobiography “Spare” has shattered the United Kingdom’s record for the best-selling nonfiction book in history, its publisher announced on Tuesday.

“Spare,” which details Harry’s account of his various personal troubles and contentious relationship with other members of the royal family, has sold approximately 400,000 copies in hardback, e-book and audio formats since its official release Tuesday.

“We always knew this book would fly but it is exceeding even our most bullish expectations,” Transworld Penguin Random House managing director Larry Finlay said in a statement on the sales record.

“As far as we know, the only books to have sold more in their first day are those starring the other Harry (Potter),” the statement added.

The book appears to be very successful.
NONFICTION? got to be joking this is Peter Pan the boy who never grew up...only he lives in La La Land..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom