Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2023, 06:40 AM

2,937 posts, read 1,315,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
TBF parts of the West Coast of Scotland have enjoy the effects of the Gulf Stream. The Gulf Stream is a flow of warm seawater which passes the west coast of Scotland and brings warmer weather.

Cornwall and other regions are also effected by regional variations, however the weather in the UK is mainly similar in respect of mild winters and cool summers, although in recent years there have been some notable heat waves.

In this respect the UK has very pleasant weather and avoids the extremes that occur in many other parts of the world.
I understand that but a summer or winter in Northern Scotland is still a good bit different than Southern England. In an even bigger way Auckland and Melbourne are a good bit different to Southern England and yet ALL these climates share the same classification. I just wanted to hear if Easthomes truly believes the climate he lives in feels exactly the same as Northern Scotland, his answer to this will prove if he is trolling or not

Last edited by Paddy234; 05-11-2023 at 06:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2023, 08:04 AM

130,425 posts, read 12,124,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
I understand that but a summer or winter in Northern Scotland is still a good bit different than Southern England. In an even bigger way Auckland and Melbourne are a good bit different to Southern England and yet ALL these climates share the same classification. I just wanted to hear if Easthomes truly believes the climate he lives in feels exactly the same as Northern Scotland, his answer to this will prove if he is trolling or not
EH will never give you a direct answer, he just likes to obfuscate things & pretend he is so clever IMO.

OP I hope you will let us know if yu do decide to holiday in Cornwall or what will you do. The climate thing got out of hand, imo.

Old 05-11-2023, 08:21 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
EH will never give you a direct answer, he just likes to obfuscate things & pretend he is so clever IMO.

OP I hope you will let us know if yu do decide to holiday in Cornwall or what will you do. The climate thing got out of hand, imo.
LOL!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanic_climate

and I QUOTE:-

An oceanic climate, also known as a marine climate, is the humid temperate climate sub-type in Köppen classification represented as Cfb, typical of west coasts in higher middle latitudes of continents, generally featuring cool summers and mild winters (for their latitude), with a relatively narrow annual temperature range and few extremes of temperature. Oceanic climates can be found in both hemispheres generally between 45 and 63 latitude, most notably in northwestern Europe, northwestern America, as well as New Zealand.

How much more 'direct' can I be?! I've attached, quoted and highlighted!

As for you claiming that I think I'm 'clever', have you noticed that I've clearly stated that I've QUOTED, if you have issues with what's said then I suggest you go and complain to the author, perhaps accuse them of thinking they're 'clever'.

Old 05-11-2023, 08:26 AM

2,937 posts, read 1,315,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
LOL!!

and I QUOTE:-

An oceanic climate, also known as a marine climate, is the humid temperate climate sub-type in Köppen classification represented as Cfb, typical of west coasts in higher middle latitudes of continents, generally featuring cool summers and mild winters (for their latitude), with a relatively narrow annual temperature range and few extremes of temperature. Oceanic climates can be found in both hemispheres generally between 45 and 63 latitude, most notably in northwestern Europe, northwestern America, as well as New Zealand.

How much more 'direct' can I be?! I've attached, quoted and highlighted!

As for you claiming that I think I'm 'clever', have you noticed that I've clearly stated that I've QUOTED, if you have issues with what's said then I suggest you go and complain to the author, perhaps accuse them of thinking they're 'clever'.
I just wanted to hear if Easthomes truly believes the climate he lives in feels exactly the same as Northern Scotland, his answer to this will prove if he is trolling or not

Old 05-11-2023, 08:29 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
Hoping to spend a week in the South West of England this summer ( wife and two kids in check ) and can’t decide whether to use Newquay or St Ives as our base , are both equally impressive in terms of beaches ?, we will hire a car so drive around the county but would like to stay near a great beach with decent amenities nearby
You have to visit Bodmin Moor for the wild ponies ..

Old 05-11-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I just wanted to hear if Easthomes truly believes the climate he lives in feels exactly the same as Northern Scotland, his answer to this will prove if he is trolling or not
What do you mean by exactly the same? Same temperature all the time day and night, raining at exactly the same time every day, weather is in motion at all times of the day, the weather at any point in time is different from 'climate' and the fact is the climate of Scotland is cfb Oceanic, it has EXACTLY THE SAME classification as everywhere else that is cfb Oceanic, climates are classified the same for a reason and that reason is NOT because they have different climates - that's not what 'classification' means.

If you wan't to know why the experts have grouped these places on the planet together, why they are classified as the same climate then look below at what they have written to justify it:-

And I QUOTE:-

Precipitation
Locations with oceanic climates tend to feature frequent cloudy conditions with precipitation, low hanging clouds, and frequent fronts and storms. Thunderstorms are normally few, since strong daytime heating and hot and cold air masses meet infrequently in the region. In most areas with an oceanic climate, precipitation comes in the form of rain for the majority of the year. Most oceanic climate zones, or at least a part of them, however, experience at least one snowfall per year. In the poleward locations of the oceanic climate zone ("subpolar oceanic climates", described in greater detail below), snowfall is more frequent and commonplace.

Temperature
Overall temperature characteristics of the oceanic climates feature cool temperatures and infrequent extremes of temperature. In the Köppen climate classification, oceanic climates have a mean temperature of 0 °C (32 °F) or higher (or −3 °C (27 °F) or higher) in the coldest month, compared to continental climates where the coldest month has a mean temperature of below 0 °C (32 °F) (or −3 °C (27 °F)) in the coldest month. Summers are warm but not hot, with the warmest month having a mean temperature below 22 °C (72 °F). Poleward of the latter is a subtype of it and is the subpolar oceanic climate (Köppen Cfc),[1] with long but relatively mild (for their latitude) winters and cool and short summers (average temperatures of at least 10 °C (50 °F) for one to three months). Examples of this climate include parts of coastal Iceland, the coast of Norway north of Bodø, the Scottish Highlands, the mountains of Vancouver Island, and Haida Gwaii in Canada, in the Northern Hemisphere and extreme southern Chile in the Southern Hemisphere (examples include Punta Arenas), the Tasmanian Central Highlands, and parts of New Zealand.

Oceanic climates in Europe occur mostly in Western Europe. It starts in northwestern Europe, from the British Isles eastward to central Europe. Most of France (away from the Mediterranean), Belgium, the Netherlands, Austria, Luxembourg, Denmark, western Germany, south coast and western areas of Norway north to Skrova Lofoten, several parts of Czech Republic, the north coast of Spain (Asturias, Basque Country, Cantabria, Galicia and north of Navarre, Aragon and Catalonia[4]), the western Azores off the coast of Portugal, the north of Serbia and far southern portions of Sweden, also have oceanic climates.

The oceanic climate is prevalent in the more southerly parts of Oceania. A mild maritime climate is in existence in New Zealand.

Old 05-11-2023, 11:03 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Climates that are different are NOT given THE SAME climate classification!! By the very nature of the meaning of the word 'classification' shows it's utter nonsense to suggest otherwise, end of!
It depends on what system you're using - being British, you favour Koppen .... not a conscious decision on your behalf, more of a cultural decision made by others on your behalf. This Has NZ and UK as Cfb climates (something I agree with). Interesting to note that Koppen was originally intended based on natural vegetation vegetation, but advances in knowledge and understanding showed it's obvious deficiencies, and resulted in a updated version that was based more on air mass and geography.

However, If you were to be using equally well regarded Trewartha, Alisov, or Thornthwaite systems then much or or all of NZ would be in a different grouping than the UK - they are all based on different scientific rationale, and all regarded as being relevant as Koppen when applying their rationale.

What none of them attempt to do, is describe day to day weather over the year - A wiki box of normals will tell you vastly more about the weather than any place on the planet, than a classification can ever do.

Old 05-11-2023, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It depends on what system you're using - being British, you favour Koppen .... not a conscious decision on your behalf, more of a cultural decision made by others on your behalf. This Has NZ and UK as Cfb climates (something I agree with). Interesting to note that Koppen was originally intended based on natural vegetation vegetation, but advances in knowledge and understanding showed it's obvious deficiencies, and resulted in a updated version that was based more on air mass and geography.

However, If you were to be using equally well regarded Trewartha, Alisov, or Thornthwaite systems then much or or all of NZ would be in a different grouping than the UK - they are all based on different scientific rationale, and all regarded as being relevant as Koppen when applying their rationale.

What none of them attempt to do, is describe day to day weather over the year - A wiki box of normals will tell you vastly more about the weather than any place on the planet, than a classification can ever do.
The UK and NZ have EXACTLY the SAME climate classification, they are both cfb Oceanic

The reason they share the same climate classification is obviously NOT because they have different climates!!

Go to the link and you will see EXACTLY why they have been given an identical climate classification by climatologists (both cfb Oceanic), the reasons are all written down for you.

The reality is no matter how badly Kiwi's want their climate to be something it isn't, no matter how many times they try and tell the world that they live in some kind of Tropical paradise the truth of the matter and the facts clearly show otherwise. If you think that's wrong (even though it plainly isn't) and that NZ should be classed as a Desert climate, a Tropical climate or a Mediterranean climate (or whatever your Kiwi brain imagines) then perhaps you should go and complain to the experts, you know the people that have officially given NZ the cfb Oceanic classification it clearly has.

Old 05-11-2023, 03:26 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
The UK and NZ have EXACTLY the SAME climate classification, they are both cfb Oceanic

The reason they share the same climate classification is obviously NOT because they have different climates!!

Go to the link and you will see EXACTLY why they have been given an identical climate classification by climatologists (both cfb Oceanic), the reasons are all written down for you.
One of many classifications, and not all classify the UK and NZ as the same...... because no classification system in use is based on weather- they use (generous)numerical boundaries to ring fence qualifying features, which you incorrectly perceive as weather ... but do you really think a climate that averages a 8C mean for the coldest 6 months, has the same weather as a place that averages a 16C mean for the coldest six months?... do you really believe that 63 days rain a year is the same weather as 182 days a year with rain? ... or that 2700 hours of sunshine is the same weather as 1200 hours of sunshine?

This debate started because you disagreed that Glasgow's climate was similar to Cornwall - no conclusions on an area's weather can be gained by knowing that an area is a Cfb ... unless you think you can describe standard weather that is found in all Cfb climates?

... Lol! if Cornwall got the same weather as where I live, then these "mystery" olive orchards you claim exist, actually would exist.

Last edited by Joe90; 05-11-2023 at 03:58 PM..

Old 05-11-2023, 03:56 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,294,310 times
Quote:
The fact your ignoring everything we are saying is evidence of your trolling.
Some people are just terminally unteachable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom