Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2023, 03:14 PM

27,233 posts, read 13,527,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Not sure what you mean about "the other way around". The link says "The song was a pre-Revolutionary War song originally sung by British military officers to mock the disheveled, disorganized colonial "Yankees" with whom they served in the French and Indian War. "

I did write it was pre-revolutionary.

Our allies, Gens. Lafayette and Rochambeau, greatly helped us Americans win the war. Lafayette saw that the American soldiers were being ignored and ordered the tune to point that out to the British who were their enemies at the time. I don't think they were ever American citizens- always French.

I don't think the north/south distinction about Yanks in WW11 is particularly relevant, since the point is when the term originated. All Americans were Yankees long before WW11.

I find that most Americans in the US use the term American and do not make the distinction between Northern Americans- Canadians or Southern Latin Americans, since it would make too long an explanation. So I think the Brits call America "America" is because we do.

We here in the US call Canadians "Canadian" and Latin Americans Latinos or the name of the country they come from- Guatemala, Mexico, Venezuela, etc. etc.
I don't think it's a uniquely British song, and in terms of the US War of Independence, I think both sides sang it in a mocking fashion.

The song seems to have come to various parts of Europe and to have been adapted along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 04:07 PM

2,316 posts, read 1,536,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
Thanks y'all for a fun romp
My summary of it is that America is conveniently used as an adjective but the use of the term as a noun is circumstantial.

Old 07-28-2023, 06:05 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,083,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

Americans are not confused.

One ding bat couple from pelican land who get worked up about it are not representative of all Americans.......

From now on please apply a much closer and better attention span to my posts (not short attention) if you're planning to respond to me about them. Otherwise you can count on it that I will call you out on your short attention span and lack of comprehension and your attitude if you slip up again.

Considering your oppositional knee-jerk reaction to my post you might even be one of those confused Americans yourself for all I know.

I did not say all Americans are confused, I said SOME Americans are confused. And that is an undeniable fact that not even you can deny.

I did not say my friends from Louisiana are ding bats from pelican land, you are the one who said it and I think that's an insult to them. I don't know or associate with ding bats and I don't invite ding bats over to my home for cookouts.

And I did not say that my friends were representative of all Americans. That is what is in your own head and is YOUR confused take on my post which you clearly have not comprehended.

Read my post again, more slowly and carefully next time. Thank you.

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-28-2023 at 06:28 PM..

Old 07-29-2023, 09:12 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,248,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
One couple and their kids that were up visiting from Louisiana and came to our place for dinner got themselves really worked up into a lather about it. They were that upset about not having what they thought was a correct national name for themselves as an identifier.

Adult people who get "worked up into a lather" about an identifier are ding bats.

Of course, that's MHO.

YMMV based on . . .

Old 07-29-2023, 09:20 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,581,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Probably almost half the country says ‘Murica and drools while saying it.

I’m a Seppo and proud of it.
Seppo?

Old 07-29-2023, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
Seppo?

London East End Cockney Rhyming slang for Yank (an American) is septic tank.

Slang for septic tank is Seppo, which some Americans use as a badge of honour.

It should however be noted that something else rhymes with Yank, and it starts with 'W' and involves a lot of Yanking.

Old 07-29-2023, 04:40 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,660,660 times
Heard about the new knickers?

One Yank and they're off.

That's what it's all about.

Old 07-29-2023, 05:27 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,660,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunshsh View Post
Are you an American shilling for the attempted anti-American erasure of the American demonym?

A joke ?

Old 07-30-2023, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
Heard about the new knickers?

One Yank and they're off.

That's what it's all about.
I am not a Cockney but if you would rather be called a Septic or Seppo than American, I am happy to oblige.

As for Americans, they have referred to us a Limeys or God Damn Limeys for a long time.

Old 07-30-2023, 11:28 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,581,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

London East End Cockney Rhyming slang for Yank (an American) is septic tank.

Slang for septic tank is Seppo, which some Americans use as a badge of honour.

It should however be noted that something else rhymes with Yank, and it starts with 'W' and involves a lot of Yanking.
I am aware the septic tank reference. Never heard seppo before
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom