Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2023, 12:40 PM

2,340 posts, read 847,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I am not a Cockney but if you would rather be called a Septic or Seppo than American, I am happy to oblige.

As for Americans, they have referred to us a Limeys or God Damn Limeys for a long time.
There was an old saying among the Brits about Americans back in WW2.

"Over here, over paid and over sexed"

The American reply about the British was:

"Under sexed, underpaid and under Eisenhower"

Actually in the US it's become rare for a British person to be called a "limey" The term seems to have died out amongst Americans under the age of 80.

During my years in Canada I was called a Limey more than once though. The Canadians even had names for each other. French speaking were called "Pepsies or Froggies" by the English speaking and English speaking called "Tetes Carres" (Square heads)" by the French speaking. Hopefully since then with the arrival of multi-cultural-ism a feeling of mutual respect has replaced all that.

Last edited by James Austen; 07-30-2023 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2023, 01:27 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 7 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
There was an old saying among the Brits about Americans back in WW2.

"Over here, over paid and over sexed"

The American reply about the British was:

"Under sexed, underpaid and under Eisenhower"

Actually in the US it's become rare for a British person to be called a "limey" The term seems to have died out amongst Americans under the age of 80.

During my years in Canada I was called a Limey more than once though. The Canadians even had names for each other. French speaking were called "Pepsies or Froggies" by the English speaking and English speaking called "Tetes Carres" (Square heads)" by the French speaking. Hopefully since then with the arrival of multi-cultural-ism a feeling of mutual respect has replaced all that.

I think the term Yank is also now quite antiquated and no longer as common.

Pommie is still used by the Aussies, and I am sure we have recently exchanged a few recent pleasantries regarding the current controversial Ashes Cricket test series.

We also occasionally exchange pleasantries with our French neighbours, who occasionally like to refer to us as 'les rosbif', to which we politely but firmly point out that they are nothing more than disgusting slimy froggies, who have stinky garlic ridden breath.

We also sometimes have a bit of banter with the Germans aka as the 'Sausage Munching Bosch' or 'Krauts;, and this is especially true when England are playing football (soccer) against Germany. Although memories of WW2 are starting to fade in to history, and other than the football we seem to have forgiven the Sausage Munchers and thankfully moved on.

As for a more general term, most of Europe affectionately refers to us British as the 'Island Monkeys' - Bless Them - and you wonder why Brexit happened.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-30-2023 at 02:00 PM..

Old 07-30-2023, 01:47 PM

2,967 posts, read 1,641,416 times
Quote:

I think the term Yank is also now quite antiquated and no longer as common.

Pommie is still used by the Aussies, and I am sure we exchanged a few recent pleasantries regarding the current controversial Ashes Cricket series.

We also occasionally exchange pleasantries with our French neighbours, who like to call us rosbif, to which we quickly point out that they are nothing more than disgusting slimy froggies, who stink of garlic.

We also sometimes have a bit of banter with the Sausage Munching Bosch, and this is especially true when England are playing football (soccer) against Germany. Although memories of WW2 are starting to fade in to history, and other than the football we seem to have forgiven the Krauts and moved on.

Most Europe usually affectionately refer to us as the 'Island Monkeys' - Bless Them - and you wonder why Brexit happened.
Thank goodness, as it makes no sense to Americans and is offensive to many, but I suppose that's the point.

We were at the the Last Night of the Proms in Hyde Park and made friends with an English couple sitting next to us. On the other side were a party of Germans enjoying -- you guessed it -- sausages! They offered some to us, which we declined. Our English friend whispered to us "they're always eating sausages" in a very disapproving tone.

The English and the Germans. Almost as classic as the English and the French.

Old 07-30-2023, 03:09 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,209 times
My French mother in law referred to the Germans (during WW2) as the "chleuh"

Apparently, it is from Morrocan Arabic (makes sense) and came to mean a person who cannot speak French or Arabic.. (this was of course when the French were in Morocco) and was then applied to the Germans during their WW2 occupation of France.

Re: Yank being antiquated or offensive, IDK.. not in my circles..

But if someone asks me where I'm from, I'd definitely say "the US".. not "America"

Last edited by LilyMae521; 07-30-2023 at 03:20 PM..

Old 07-31-2023, 04:48 PM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:

London East End Cockney Rhyming slang for Yank (an American) is septic tank.

Slang for septic tank is Seppo, which some Americans use as a badge of honour.

It should however be noted that something else rhymes with Yank, and it starts with 'W' and involves a lot of Yanking.
Stupid Yank -> Septic Tank -> Seppo

Commonly used in New Zealand and Australia. I spent quite a bit of time in both countries. I was The Seppo in the pub in both places.

Old 07-31-2023, 05:31 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 7 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Commonly used in New Zealand and Australia. I spent quite a bit of time in both countries. I was The Seppo in the pub in both places.

I have not heard stupid used, and it was mainly used in relation to Cockney Rhyming slang.

The Cockneys would rhyme Yank with Septic Tank which was of course then shortened to just sceptic.

So an American became known as a 'Sceptic', which of course this was further abbreviated to 'Seppo'.

Cockney Rhyming slang in London's poverty stricken East End was mainly used from Victorian Times onwards in order to confuse the police, and it made it's way to Australia, New Zealand and other Anglosphere countries.

I suppose it's similar today to certain ethnic slang or perhaps even some rap type slang.

Old 08-01-2023, 07:38 AM

2,397 posts, read 1,564,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Australians tend to put an O at the end of nicknames, that explains it

funny how they would take a slang from the easy end of London and use it to create their own. A more cynical observer might look to their thieving convict past, not me though

Old 08-01-2023, 09:17 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
Australians tend to put an O at the end of nicknames, that explains it

funny how they would take a slang from the easy end of London and use it to create their own. A more cynical observer might look to their thieving convict past, not me though
The poms born in the UK called me a Seppo, too. At this point, I think it’s just the local slang.

In Lancashire, our family jokingly always called us the colonials.

Old 08-01-2023, 10:30 AM

2,967 posts, read 1,641,416 times
A friend of ours in England jokingly called my husband " you wild colonial boy"

Is that also the title to a song?

Old 08-01-2023, 01:26 PM

2,340 posts, read 847,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
A friend of ours in England jokingly called my husband " you wild colonial boy"

Is that also the title to a song?
It's an Irish song relating to a boy forced to leave Ireland and live in exile in Australia. Just part of the story of Ireland.

It was the theme song for the Hollywood classic "The Quiet Man" (1951) starring John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom