Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2024, 05:49 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Nothing more than fear mongering to try and prevent the UK from remaining as a minor power focusing on it's own self interests, rather than being America's lapdog at the taxpayer's expense which it was in the early 2000's with nothing to show for it. The US is going to have to look outside Europe for that. Europe has wised up to this
The UK is not a 'minor' power, it is one of only a handful of Nuclear armed states, you are just trolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Don't be childish. Our own countries were just as bad if not worse in abusing children. In fact it is much more likely in the public school system. Anyway I never claimed we are without Sin.

Second what is the relevence of your response to the point i was making? My point was that the most secular century in human history was also the bloodiest largely due to the Atheistic regimes that annihilated larged percentages of their populations. My comment was in response to a claim that Atheists are much more likely to be pacifist. I never claimed Christians were without Sin, just that Atheists certainly aren't either and the 20th century is proof of that
The amount of child abuse that's gone on in Ireland over the years is shocking!

Old 02-04-2024, 06:34 AM

2,932 posts, read 1,311,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The amount of child abuse that's gone on in Ireland over the years is shocking!
I agree the abuse was horrifying and it is something that must never be allowed to happen again but i don't understand the point you are making. The UK was much worse in terms of institutional abuse. It even used it's children for cheap labor. Living in Australia and New Zealand and one really does learn just how far reaching the abuse was. Children stolen from their parents and sent off to the colonies to only be abused and sent into orphanages where they suffered more abuse. Have you ever heard of the stolen generation? Probably not as you are not very well versed in your own history however the kidnapping of aboriginal kids from their parents is one of the worse shame in Britain's colonial history in Australia. It's talked ALOT about over here

In the UK today there is over 3 million people who have reported to have been sexually abused before the age of 16. Did you know any of this? That's today nevermind the past. The problem I find with you Easthome is that you make comments about other nations based on the junk journalism you read from these radical fringe movements that you have no clue about what goes on in your own country. The junk journalism you read gives you a romanticized perspective of your own country so as to make sure there can NEVER be a part of your own history than invokes shame. This is the same ultra nationalistic viewpoint that continues to creep up time and time again when a nation experiences a cultural shift or decline

I mean should we really get into your own history and the crimes that nation has done to entire populations of people across the world and yet here you are talking about the human rights of a nation your people raped for centuries? Go away with that nonsense mate. Absolutely clueless. Your from the last nation that can poke the finger.

Either engage the point I was making next time before you make cheap pot shots or I'll call you out on it. My point was simple. I don't believe that Atheists are anymore peaceful than Christians when we only have to look at history in the 20th century which proves otherwise. This isn't about Ireland and the UK as nations but about how a world-view can affect one's behavior in ways which can create peace or violence. Anyway this is widely off topic and clearly not something you are interested in discussing

Old 02-04-2024, 06:46 AM

Quote:
I agree the abuse was horrifying and it is something that must never be allowed to happen again but i don't understand the point you are making. The UK was much worse in terms of institutional abuse. It even used it's children for cheap labor. Living in Australia and New Zealand and one really does learn just how far reaching the abuse was. Children stolen from their parents and sent off to the colonies to only be abused and sent into orphanages where they suffered more abuse. Have you ever heard of the stolen generation? Probably not as you are not very well versed in your own history however the kidnapping of aboriginal kids from their parents is one of the worse shame in Britain's colonial history in Australia. It's talked ALOT about over here

In the UK today there is over 3 million people who have reported to have been sexually abused before the age of 16. Did you know any of this? That's today nevermind the past. The problem I find with you Easthome is that you make comments about other nations based on the junk journalism you read from these radical fringe movements that you have no clue about what goes on in your own country. The junk journalism you read gives you a romanticized perspective of your own country so as to make sure there can NEVER be a part of your own history than invokes shame. This is the same ultra nationalistic viewpoint that continues to creep up time and time again when a nation experiences a cultural shift or decline

I mean should we really get into your own history and the crimes that nation has done to entire populations of people across the world and yet here you are talking about the human rights of a nation your people raped for centuries? Go away with that nonsense mate. Absolutely clueless. Your from the last nation that can poke the finger.

Either engage the point I was making next time before you make cheap pot shots or I'll call you out on it. My point was simple. I don't believe that Atheists are anymore peaceful than Christians when we only have to look at history in the 20th century which proves otherwise. This isn't about Ireland and the UK as nations but about how a world-view can affect one's behavior in ways which can create peace or violence. Anyway this is widely off topic and clearly not something you are interested in discussing
We are aware of our own misgivings in the past, in fact we have even gotten used to being the focal point of world hate (something we inherited from ze Germans), jealousy perhaps? Unlike the Irish though we don't constantly play the part of 'victims' while completely denying wrong doings happening in our own country, pedophelia is just about the worst crime on the planet and Ireland was (is still perhaps?) rife with it, all while being protected by 'the church'.

You have simply been watching too much Braveheart! On a TV probably (you're welcome) and now you like to conjure up hatred towards the Britihsh.......no just English actually on your computer (you're welcome) over the internet (you're welcome)..........................and all the while you do it..........in English! (you're welcome).

Old 02-04-2024, 06:50 AM

Quote:
The UK is not a 'minor' power, it is one of only a handful of Nuclear armed states, you are just trolling.
It is not trolling. North Korea is not a major power nor is France anymore yet they are also nuclear powers. Having Nuclear weapons doesn't make one a major power in the world. It simply is a deterrence against an invasion. Major powers meaning superpowers. By the way before you make this into how big is my country debate I'm not interested. The significant decline of the UK military in terms of numbers and change of strategy toward creating a more specialized task force is in my view to be welcomed. No more sending 20,000 troops off to Afghanistan and Iraq to die for US interests. Those days are over. Instead the UK will launch more smaller and specialized task forces to maintain it's security. How can one not get behind this?

This has led a US general to recently declare that the UK is no longer a tier one fighting force and barely tier Two even declaring France as more powerful

https://www.forces.net/politics/us-g...ighting-forces

It is NONSENSE. What the US has seen since Iraq and Afghanistan in regards to the UK armed forces is a shift away from being it's lapdop and solely being interested in it's own affairs. Such remakes are obviously to bully the UK Prime minister into fulfilling the same roles previous prime Ministers have done for the US since the Afghanistan invasion.

Old 02-04-2024, 06:56 AM

Quote:
It is not trolling. North Korea is not a major power nor is France anymore yet they are also nuclear powers. Having Nuclear weapons doesn't make one a major power in the world. It simply is a deterrence against an invasion. Major powers meaning superpowers. By the way before you make this into how big is my country debate I'm not interested. The significant decline of the UK military in terms of numbers and change of strategy toward creating a more specialized task force is in my view to be welcomed. No more sending 20,000 troops off to Afghanistan and Iraq to die for US interests. Those days are over. Instead the UK will launch more smaller and specialized task forces to maintain it's security. How can one not get behind this?

This has led a US general to recently declare that the UK is no longer a tier one fighting force and barely tier Two even declaring France as more powerful

https://www.forces.net/politics/us-g...ighting-forces

It is NONSENSE. What the US has seen since Iraq and Afghanistan in regards to the UK armed forces is a shift away from being it's lapdop and solely being interested in it's own affairs. Such remakes are obviously to bully the UK Prime minister into fulfilling the same roles previous prime Ministers have done for the US since the Afghanistan invasion.
Of course France is a major power! Like the UK it could blow Australia to pieces, there might even be one of our subs pointing at your head right now! You are just doing your usual Brit bashing........because you're an Irishman living in Australia which ultimately means the British........no the English actually are living in your head rent free and you have a chip on your shoulder the size of Sydney!

Old 02-04-2024, 07:00 AM

Quote:
We are aware of our own misgivings in the past, in fact we have even gotten used to being the focal point of world hate (something we inherited from ze Germans), jealousy perhaps? Unlike the Irish though we don't constantly play the part of 'victims' while completely denying wrong doings happening in our own country, pedophelia is just about the worst crime on the planet and Ireland was (is still perhaps?) rife with it, all while being protected by 'the church'.

You have simply been watching too much Braveheart! On a TV probably (you're welcome) and now you like to conjure up hatred towards the Britihsh.......no just English actually on your computer (you're welcome) over the internet (you're welcome)..........................and all the while you do it..........in English! (you're welcome).
Easthome stop debating a strawman. No-one is denying the wrong doings of their country's. I know more the evils about my own history that what you ever will however your in no place point the finger. The sole reason you Have brought up Ireland's wrong doings is to go off topic with a low blow which has nothing to do with what i was talking about. I have clearly pointed out that your In a Very big glass house to be throwing stones mate so better off not getting into this especially regarding Pedophilia and Child abuse given your own nation's similar history of this.

Engage the point I was making which was in reference to another poster describing Pacifists as mostly Atheists. Why on earth did you feel the need to bring up Ireland or the UK? What is that in relation to? I mean if you are referring to the fact that the Christian world-view is responsible for pedophelia let's debate but again I think you'll find this not to be true. Sex abuse believe it or not is actually increasing in the west and in secular nations such as Sweden where 25% have suffered sexual abuse. It's happening everywhere and unfortunately increasing in many areas. Ironically Church schools are now the most safe as they are the ones that have been forced to setup the most rigorous protocols in preventing this from happening again.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/has-med...use-in-school/

https://childhood.org/how-we-prevent...sexual%20abuse.

Last edited by Paddy234; 02-04-2024 at 07:13 AM..

Old 02-04-2024, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Easthome stop debating a strawman. No-one is denying the wrong doings of their country's. I know more the evils about my own history that what you ever will. However The sole reason you Have brought up Ireland's wrong doings is to go off topic with a low blow which has nothing to do with what i was talking about. I have clearly pointed out that your In a Very big glass house to be throwing stones mate so better off not getting into this especially regarding Pedophilia and Child abuse given your own nations worse history of this.

Engage the point I was making which was in reference to another poster describing Pacifists as mostly Atheists. Why on earth did you feel the need to bring up Ireland? What is that in relation to?
Go off topic? You started with your insults, pedophilia was a cottage industry in Ireland, covered up by the Catholic church, the Irish are good at playing the victims, instead of wailing on about their neighbours perhaps its about time they took a good look at the church instead..............in fact its probably the church that keeps this anti British........(no English) propaganda going just so that the people in Ireland fail to look for the evil within.

Old 02-04-2024, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Go off topic? You started with your insults, pedophilia was a cottage industry in Ireland, covered up by the Catholic church, the Irish are good at playing the victims, instead of wailing on about their neighbours perhaps its about time they took a good look at the church instead..............in fact its probably the church that keeps this anti British........(no English) propaganda going just so that the people in Ireland fail to look for the evil within.
What insults? What are you talking about? Mate you live in a country where over 3 million people today were sexually abused as children with much of it covered up. Thats half the population of Ireland. Cmon mate wise up. The Anglican Church was involved in the same coverups just as all British institions that cared for children. Predators made their way in and did severe damage to all our nations in every institution dealing with children and by the way unfortunately the most common place of occurrence is in the home. Secular nations such as Sweden and the Netherlands have the same problem. In Ireland we faced up to this and dealt with these horrors commited by OUR people though I have to say I haven't read about the UK doing the same with it's institutions. Was anyone in the BBC ever charged for the Jimmy Saville coverups where at least hundreads of Children were abused? Why is there no uproar?

You say the Irish are good at playing victims and we should look at the Church instead? Mate what century do you live in. What do you think Modern Ireland looks like? Lol. We know our own history. We were all victims and villains at points throughout history. This is the reality of man from the beginning of his fall

As for claiming anti British propaganda lol. Mate there is little to no anti Britishness in Ireland however there is certainly an anti imperialist mindset however that is something the working and middle classes of Ireland and UK should agree on. It divided us as people's and held us back. That mindset is long gone. Your defence of your elite aristocratic class might make you think your being patriotic but let me tell you something you have more in common with a working class man from Ireland, France or Spain than you ever will with the elite in the UK. Anyway let's get back on topic. I don't care about Ireland and the UK's wrong doings. We ALL have commited evils

Last edited by Paddy234; 02-04-2024 at 07:52 AM..

Old 02-04-2024, 07:55 AM

Quote:
What insults? What are you talking about? Mate you live in a country where over 3 million people today were sexually abused as children with much of it covered up. Thats half the population of Ireland. Cmon mate wise up. The Anglican Church was involved in the same coverups just as all British institions that cared for children. Predators made their way in and did severe damage to all our nations in every institution dealing with children and by the way unfortunately the most common place of occurrence is in the home. Secular nations such as Sweden and the Netherlands have the same problem. In Ireland we faced up to this and dealt with these horrors commited by OUR people though I have to say I haven't read about the UK doing the same with it's institutions. Was anyone in the BBC ever charged for the Jimmy Saville coverups where at least hundreads of Children were abused? Why is there no uproar?

You say the Irish are good at playing victims and we should look at the Church instead? Mate what century do you live in. What do you think Modern Ireland looks like? Lol. We know our own history. We were all victims and villains at points throughout history. This is the reality of man from the beginning of his fall

As for claiming anti British propaganda lol. Mate there is little to no anti Britishness in Ireland however there is certainly an anti imperialist mindset however that is something the working and middle classes of Ireland and UK should agree on. It divided us as people's and held us back. That mindset is long gone. Your defence of your elite aristocratic class might make you think your being patriotic but let me tell you something you have more in common with a working class man from Ireland, France or Spain than you ever will with the elite in the UK. Anyway let's get back on topic. I don't care about Ireland and the UK's wrong doings. We ALL have commited evils
The Irish, say they want nothing to do with the British, then complain that the British don't know anything about Irish history!........Honestly you couldn't make it up! Not only did the Irish priests commit pedophelia agianst children they forced unmarried Irish mothers to give up their children! FORCED them to.

Why don't you go and obsess over the French for a change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom