Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:25 AM

5,897 posts, read 6,102,230 times

Advertisements

Then we crossed the Spree River, Berlin's main waterway, which is actually quite small, and a lot of the buildings go right up to the shore.

Berliner Dom, on Museum Island, home to the Pergammon Museum and several others.

Then we went along Unter Der Linden, old Berlin's main road.

Unter Der Linden ends at Brandenburg gate, in front of the massive Tiergarten (park).

Near Brandenburg Gate is the Reichstag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
How quiet were residential streets in Budapest?
Depends. The residential streets in the core were pretty quiet, but you could still hear the distant rumble of traffic from nearby boulevards in most cases. The pedestrian streets were often further from the boulevards, so you couldn't really hear any traffic. In the more outer neighbourhood in the hills of Buda, it was quite quiet, although when there was a car it was often going too fast. In the suburb I also stayed at, it would have been quiet aside from the light rumble of the highway.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:41 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
Ever been to Paris? European cities are very dense so space isn't wasted, but where its given over to green space its usually done very well. You really have one or the other in a city, there's no "in between" because then it wouldn't really be functional as an urban space. Also, "channelizing" the river is usually necessary to stabilize the banks for structures that are built near the water.
Parisian parks:

BBC - Travel - The great outdoors in urban Paris : Nature & Outdoors, Paris

Old 06-19-2012, 11:46 AM

This is a pretty cityscape in central Berlin, taken from an S-Bahn station. The S-Bahn is more or less like an interurban... it serves as rapid transit for the core and commuter rail for the suburbs/outer city. In the core, it's elevated and outside the core it runs at grade. The U-Bahn acts as more local rapid transit for the core and parts of the outer city and is pretty much entirely under ground.

Gendarmenmarket square framed by two large churches opposite each other, theatre and some midrises. This is the French church and theatre.

The German church.

And the midrises... a lot of the buildings in German are new (old ones were bombed) but they fit in quite well with the rest of the built fabric.

Nice old building near Gendarmenmarket.

More old and new.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:03 PM

Berlin has some pretty interesting modern architecture of course. We first visited a department store/shopping mall complex.

This one had an inverted glass cone and an upright one on top in it's atrium.

The building across the street, connected by an underground passage.

We then went to Potsdamer Platz. Unter den Linden, Berlin, Germany - Google Maps
It was the shopping/entertainment hub of Berlin but then got bombed to rubble and was rebuilt as a large mixed use complex in the last couple decades.

Sony Centre.

The other half of Potsdamer Platz, most of the traffic goes around the place so you get nice quiet streets with patios.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:40 PM

We also check out a few palaces. There was the Sanssouci complex in Potsdam, a small city just outside Berlin.

New Palace.

Fancy lamp-post.

Chinese house.

Sanssouci Palace, with multiple terraces used for growing grapes and fruits.

And then in Berlin, there was Charlottenburg Palace.

And then we went to the main train station to head to Prague, which was new and huge with 5 levels.

There were more pictures of Berlin with another camera, I can post them later.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
How'd you get from Budapest to Berlin? Did you take a train? Or some other way?

Old 06-19-2012, 12:59 PM

Yeah, we took the plane from Toronto to Budapest where I have family, then took the train to Berlin. The train stopped at Bratislava, Brno, Prague, Dresden and Berlin as well as a several smaller cities in between. It was a medium speed train with a top speed of 90mph between Budapest and Dresden, but I think faster between Dresden and Berlin. The whole trip from Budapest to Berlin was 12 hours. That last picture of the train station is where the trains went to/from in Berlin. The lower basement had regional trains including ours. On our way back to Budapest we stopped in Prague for a few days.

Then from Budapest we also took the train to Vienna and Venice.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:28 PM

Prague

We took the subway to our hotel, and this was the view from our room in the "Lesser Town".

The main sight in the Lesser Town is the castle (of which there's more pics on the other camera).

This is Golden Lane, which was home to goldsmiths who moved to the castle to avoid having to pay into the goldsmith guild. It was really cute, the houses were built into the castle walls, and they looked like doll houses. I wouldn't have wanted to live there though, the doorways were lower than my shoulders and the houses were only about 100-200 sf.

View from the castle, looking across the river to the Old Town and Jewish Quarter.

View from the royal vinyards next to the castle, looking at the Lesser Town.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Really stunning urban eye candy that gives me goosebumps. Keep them coming! Paris has nothing on the fine cities of Eastern Europe. The architecture of Budapest in a word, would be heavenly. Look at that bridge, and that fountain, the statues, those grand plazas, and that church...my god. I'm not very religious, but I am speechless. And those scenic views of the countryside? Just as impressive. I think that's the beauty and one of the great little side benefits, and blessings, of great urban planning - preservation of greenery, farmland and rural landscapes. What more could you want? That to me seems to be the best of both worlds.
I would say that Budapest is pretty similar to Paris, but small and some of the buildings are not in as good shape. I mostly showed pictures of buildings that were in good condition, but some are not as great, either from war or lack of maintenance, like this one brown from soot.

Still, Budapest's core is very nice. Prague was even greater, I thought it was nicer than Paris, which I visited about 9 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning