Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 02:03 PM

5,901 posts, read 6,109,153 times

Advertisements

We crossed the Vltava River, around the border of the Jewish Quarter and Old Town.

Old Town Square.

Colourful, highly ornamented buildings framing the Old Town Square.

Narrow street in the Old Town.

A theatre.

Another narrow street, functioning like a "woonerf".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 02:51 PM

This is Prague's main shopping area, the area around Na Prikope.

Wenceslas Square

A really narrow building, there were a couple around here although most are at least 2x wider.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:59 PM

358 posts, read 451,360 times
Awesome pictures! I wish American cities were built like this.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:37 PM

These are the Franciscan Gardens, a park tucket away in the middle of a city block.

A small square nearby.

Prague has a lot of little passages going under buildings with retail, basically like little indoor streets. I think it was places like this that inspired shopping malls (at least the interior). Here's a typical entrance of these passages looks like:

What they look like on the inside.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:43 PM

One of the things in Prague I haven't seen in any other cities are these buildings with patterns painted/drawn onto them.

Here's an entrance to a public courtyard, of which there were a lot in Prague.

Inside of a public courtyard, these typically have retail, cafes, etc.

A small outdoor market.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:47 PM

Narrow streets and passages, fun to explore.

Another indoor street/passage.

They had this thing in that passage.

More painted buildings.

Gate/tower in front of the Charles Bridge, which is always packed with tourists.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:51 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,748,189 times
Wow, great shots! I really like Prague, and I think I could see myself living in Szentendre quite happily.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:34 PM

Here's more of Prague.

This street is part of the Royal Route to the Castle.

A medieval themed tavern where we ate.

There's a large park on top of one of the hills in the West side of the river, here's the view.

A garden in the same park.

Really colourful azaleas. I personally prefer smaller public spaces that have a lot in them like this garden than say a larger blank grass area.

The same park still.

A neighbourhood at the foot of the hill the park was on.

View across the river to one of the few modern buildings in the old city.

A canal beside the river.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:34 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,867 times
Simply breathtaking photographs. Made my day. Thank you! Prague and Budapest, now on my list of places to visit before I die. It amazes me how these buildings are so well-kept and appear in pristine condition, even though most of them are decades or hundreds of years old. Even the cobblestone streets and sidewalks are stunningly beautiful and pristine.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:36 PM

There is only one ugly building I saw in Prague, it looked like a dirty ice cube, I nominate it for eyesore of the month.

Another passageway to a courtyard.

A street in the Old Town. I think the cobbles might be relatively recent, they didn't look that old.

Near Old Town Square.

Near or on Old Town Square, not sure anymore.

Old Town Hall, 5 different buildings were combined into one. Every hour a crowd gathers to see the automats come out of the clock.

Across from Old Town Hall.

The crowd in front of Old Town Hall.

This is a mosaic inside Old Town Hall, made from 9 million tiles. It was covered with plasters during WWII so the Nazis wouldn't see it and destroy this symbol of Czech pride (like they destroyed part of Old Town Hall).

I really liked Prague, more than Budapest. Vienna was pretty similar to Budapest but a big bigger and more "imperial". Venice was also very unique, I'll post pictures as I sort through them (there's more than 1000). I think Prague and Venice are must see cities, Budapest, Vienna and Berlin not quite must-see, but still very nice and worth seeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning