Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 07:42 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,974,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
You can dig up my response, which I felt was sufficient. The vast majority of Baltimore suburbs are not served in any meaningful way, for instance. Additionally If you have to walk for 30 minutes or more to get to a bus that runs every 90 minutes during business hours monday to friday, it might as well not exist. Same with one-way commuter service. A line on a system map does not indicate a bus route's frequency, or utility.

I'm not having this argument again. 95/100 people will agree that mobility without a car is easier in an urban environment. It isn't even worth discussing such a basic truth.
I do know that Baltimore has the light-rail, with service to BWI Airport, but otherwise it's lacking in subway service, although I don't know if any steps are being made in this direction. Boston, has very good subway/commuter service, with the latter extending down to Providence, west to Worcester, and north to near the MA-NH line. The one drawback: subway service ends around 1:00 AM...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 07:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,729,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I do know that Baltimore has the light-rail, with service to BWI Airport, but otherwise it's lacking in subway service, although I don't know if any steps are being made in this direction. Boston, has very good subway/commuter service, with the latter extending down to Providence, west to Worcester, and north to near the MA-NH line. The one drawback: subway service ends around 1:00 AM...
I noticed in the outer regions of the commuter lines (at least the Worcester line) some stops were park and rides with nearly nothing around it. A small town was sometimes a 1.5-2 miles away, where the train used to stop.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:06 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,084,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Did you read the rest of my post or just fire off an answer after reading the first sentence? I agree it's easier in an "urban environment". I would include at least the close-in suburbs of most cities in that definition. It's certainly not impossible to get around from the suburbs w/o a car. The other thing is, a lot of suburban kids do have access to cars.
just give it up, they will continue to believe that its impossible to get around in the suburbs even though millions of people have somehow been able to figure it out for decades.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:11 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
just give it up, they will continue to believe that its impossible to get around in the suburbs even though millions of people have somehow been able to figure it out for decades.
I actually grew up in a suburb...Did you?

Old 10-15-2012, 09:44 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,704,723 times
Default I grew in a suburb too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I took a heavy rail train to get to zoo a few towns away. I would also take the heavy rail train to connect to light rail transit to get to baseball games for either our America league team or or National league team.

On my own, with my peers.

I let my kids do the same.

Not a big deal.

Chicago suburbs are a great place to grew up / raise kids.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
no, i was born and raised in an urban environment, but for whatever reason, I missed the memo that the urban environment was this paradise that your urbanist continue to believe it is. I've lived in the suburbs for close to year, and in very car dependend enviroment. What I have found to pretty amazing is that despite living in a car dependent suburb, alot of the families we have met, have managed to go to the city for all this culture that urbanist apparently believe suburban kids never experience. Its something my son will experience when he gets old enough. As I say this, i know that you and your people will continue to hold on to this belief that once you live in the suburbs, you will never experience freedom or whatever other nonsense you guys can come up with.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I took a heavy rail train to get to zoo a few towns away. I would also take the heavy rail train to connect to light rail transit to get to baseball games for either our America league team or or National league team.

On my own, with my peers.

I let my kids do the same.

Not a big deal.

Chicago suburbs are a great place to grew up / raise kids.
no matter what you say, or me, or katina, or any other suburbanite says, these people will continue to believe the suburbs are some wasteland where its cookie-cutter, homogenous, lacks entertainment, is at fault for cancer and world hunger.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
no, i was born and raised in an urban environment, but for whatever reason, I missed the memo that the urban environment was this paradise that your urbanist continue to believe it is. I've lived in the suburbs for close to year, and in very car dependend enviroment. What I have found to pretty amazing is that despite living in a car dependent suburb, alot of the families we have met, have managed to go to the city for all this culture that urbanist apparently believe suburban kids never experience. Its something my son will experience when he gets old enough. As I say this, i know that you and your people will continue to hold on to this belief that once you live in the suburbs, you will never experience freedom or whatever other nonsense you guys can come up with.
Thanks for the insult!

I never said an urban environment was a paradise, I wasn't discussing that. I gave a negative of suburbs based on MY experience. Am I not supposed to criticize places I've lived in? Sure, not all suburbs are similar to where I lived, but most are harder to get around without a car, and someone without a car would have less independence.

Neither did I mention about going into the city for culture, that's a different subject.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:29 AM

42,080 posts, read 75,559,450 times
Quote:
and someone without a car would have less independence.
You have less independence without a car no matter where you live.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You have less independence without a car no matter where you live.
Well yes. But the difference is greater, often much greater, in some places (many suburbs) compared to urban areas.

In my current location, my loss of independence was minor when I didn't own a car, I could get away with not using it with a few rare exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning