Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 06:30 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times

Advertisements

There have been a few Maglev attempts , Japan's line will fully open in 2045...at a cost of 65 billion.... Why would this be any cheaper? Building anything elevated and that high won't be cheap , then you have NIMBYs who hate all things elevated.. While he says 6 billion , I think it will be anywhere between 45 and 60 billion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 07:20 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
There have been a few Maglev attempts , Japan's line will fully open in 2045...at a cost of 65 billion.... Why would this be any cheaper? Building anything elevated and that high won't be cheap , then you have NIMBYs who hate all things elevated.. While he says 6 billion , I think it will be anywhere between 45 and 60 billion.
It is not maglev. It is a partially evacuated tube hung over the freeway. I would think some relatively thin wall stuff in a frame to provide strength. trqaction is by linear motors a well known technique. He does have this bit of sucking in the air in front ot the train for flotation and to thin the atmosphere and I presume the capsules are pressurized.

His real claim is that it should cost a factor of ten less than high speed rail and be much faster and cheaper. If anywhere near true he has a winner.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
It is not maglev. It is a partially evacuated tube hung over the freeway. I would think some relatively thin wall stuff in a frame to provide strength. trqaction is by linear motors a well known technique. He does have this bit of sucking in the air in front ot the train for flotation and to thin the atmosphere and I presume the capsules are pressurized.

His real claim is that it should cost a factor of ten less than high speed rail and be much faster and cheaper. If anywhere near true he has a winner.
I can see that since it is for 900 miles plus trips he says. There is not the need to serve food and have sleeping quarters which is really costly on rail of any kind. Probably could make a profit where high speed rail can't an be affordable to most.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:49 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,764,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
It isn't mag lev. it doesn't require nearly the same infrastructure. It doesn't require much in in ROW.

That being said, he'll have to build a proof-of-concept at least before I can take this seriously. For now - science fiction.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:54 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
It isn't mag lev. it doesn't require nearly the same infrastructure. It doesn't require much in in ROW.

That being said, he'll have to build a proof-of-concept at least before I can take this seriously. For now - science fiction.
Nope. Science speculation perhaps . But does CA want to bet 40 or 50 billion it is wrong? I would not.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Nope. Science speculation perhaps . But does CA want to bet 40 or 50 billion it is wrong? I would not.
The HSR proposition in California is preposterous. The joke is, it isn't even high speed rail - it's a bit better fast than the existing rail for short stretches. It's absurdly expensive has way way too many stops, will cost ungodly sums in condemnations.

But that doesn't mean the EM's Hype Loop is anything but well, Hype. History is littered with grandiose transportation systems. I don't know if this is one or not, but right now it's some sketches and some guess work and not a single small scale test to back up the incredibly complex tasks it would have to achieve.

Let's see a scale model work and then I'll be on board for the Hyped-up Loop. Until then, it's a good story.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:09 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
Better plan,, try this between LA and Las Vegas.

The issue is the infrastructure to make it happen.

Why not fix the messed up water systems, electrical, and current road systems, including many bridges that have not been replaced since the Depression. Those issues need to be addressed before this... Reality check.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Better plan,, try this between LA and Las Vegas.

Why not fix the messed up water systems, electrical, and current road systems, including many bridges that have not been replaced since the Depression. Those issues need to be addressed before this... Reality check.
Why would the superhype loop work any better between LA and LV?

There's nothing wrong with wanting to do something between LA and SF. I just think this is getting a lot of undue attention. Personally, I' wouldn't be surprised at all if this is a little joke a billionaire is having over us.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:39 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,465,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

Amen!
Whenever I see a proposal like this or even for massive high-speed rail networks all I think is "travel options for the well-off". Recouping costs in a reasonable time frame for these projects requires fares that only business travelers or 1/2/.../5%'ers can afford. Do you really want to use tax $ that could be spent on other, more socially beneficial projects just so we can have some cool technology? I grew up during the early days of the space program - ever since then I've loved reading about and using new technology (biomed, computers, etc etc), but spending who-knows-how-many billions on right of way and infrastructure for what ultimately benefits a very small number of people is narrow minded.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:50 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Some criticisms of the California vacuum tube by Alon Levy:

Loopy Ideas Are Fine, If You’re an Entrepreneur | Pedestrian Observations

Some of the more culture related comments:

There is a belief within American media that a successful person can succeed at anything... The people who are already doing the same thing are peons and their opinions are to be discounted, since they are biased and he never is. He doesn’t need to provide references or evidence – even supposedly scientific science fiction falls into this trope, in which the hero gets ideas from his gut, is always right, and never needs to do experiments.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning