Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 10:16 AM

2,546 posts, read 2,465,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Some criticisms of the California vacuum tube by Alon Levy:

Loopy Ideas Are Fine, If You’re an Entrepreneur | Pedestrian Observations

Some of the more culture related comments:

There is a belief within American media that a successful person can succeed at anything... The people who are already doing the same thing are peons and their opinions are to be discounted, since they are biased and he never is. He doesn’t need to provide references or evidence – even supposedly scientific science fiction falls into this trope, in which the hero gets ideas from his gut, is always right, and never needs to do experiments.

Pretty much a line-by-line breakdown of Hyperloop. Thanks for finding that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 03:41 PM

199 posts, read 421,470 times
Why San Francisco - Los Angeles, and not the Las Vegas - Los Angeles loop? Because Vegas is more playground than business destination, and the two metropolitan areas are so much bigger than metropolitan Las Vegas. If you're going to dream big and create a future transportation option, there is little interest in making it a novelty in the desert. SF - LA has so much more potential, and the existing Interstate provides a likely path with limited eminent domain issues to overcome.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:45 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Why would the superhype loop work any better between LA and LV?

There's nothing wrong with wanting to do something between LA and SF. I just think this is getting a lot of undue attention. Personally, I' wouldn't be surprised at all if this is a little joke a billionaire is having over us.

Either that or he's been watching too many Star Trek movies. More likely the hype around the hyperloop is his way of developing positive buzz around the Tesla brand name, thus boosting its stock price and attracting investors. Musk said he has no intentions of ever building the hyperloop himself. In other words, its vaporware.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:49 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,807,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Either that or he's been watching too many Star Trek movies. More likely the hype around the hyperloop is his way of developing positive buzz around the Tesla brand name, thus boosting its stock price and attracting investors. Musk said he has no intentions of ever building the hyperloop himself. In other words, its vaporware.
That is not what he said...He in fact suggested he could get a proto working in four or five years.

He said it was not something he was willing to take on at this time...primarily as he was already overloaded.

His attack on HSR has lots of merit. Too costly, too slow. So there has to be a better alternative.

I suspect he is correct. So we need a better stalking horse.

I liked the analysis of the g forces and such in the above response. That is the stuff that leads to truth.

On the other hand you can triple his numbers and you would still have a winner compared to HSR.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
That is not what he said...He in fact suggested he could get a proto working in four or five years.

He said it was not something he was willing to take on at this time...primarily as he was already overloaded.

His attack on HSR has lots of merit. Too costly, too slow. So there has to be a better alternative.

I suspect he is correct. So we need a better stalking horse.

I liked the analysis of the g forces and such in the above response. That is the stuff that leads to truth.

On the other hand you can triple his numbers and you would still have a winner compared to HSR.

Nonsense. HSR is a real and proven technology. In terms of the number of people that can be moved per mile HSR is more cost effective than building more highways. His claims that it would cost less than HSR and even less than highway construction is laughable at best. Musk makes a lot of bold claims, but has yet to build even a single mile of test track or tunnels to back it up. Do you comprehend the difference between fantasy and reality? The promoters of the hyperloop don't seem to have a very firm grip on the latter. They are constantly speaking of it as if it were a real proven technology, when in reality it is nothing more than a figment of their overactive Trekkie geek imaginations. It's embarrassing to watch.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Nonsense. HSR is a real and proven technology.
Ohh Really...you watch the price move around? Which CA HSR are you referring to as a reference?

Quote:
In terms of the number of people that can be moved per mile HSR is more cost effective than building more highways.
Really? Which CA HSR are you referring to? And how do you account for the rental car at the other end?

Quote:
His claims that it would cost less than HSR and even less than highway construction is laughable at best. Musk makes a lot of bold claims, but has yet to build even a single mile of test track or tunnels to back it up.
Yes I admit I too am skeptical. But perhaps you could cite the CA experience with HSR that leads to your view?

Quote:
Do you comprehend the difference between fantasy and reality? The promoters of the hyperloop don't seem to have a very firm grip on the latter. They are constantly speaking of it as if it were a real proven technology, when in reality it is nothing more than a figment of their overactive Trekkie geek imaginations. It's embarrassing to watch

Gee I would like to join you at the CA HSR site where reality can be seen and touched. And where we see the economics on HSR really work.

His claim is that it costs to much...which appears to be the case in the CA line...and is too slow. You argue that it is in fact HSR is economically cheaper than many alternatives...but you say nothing about too slow. I commuted back and forth between LA and SF or SJ more than once a week for 15 years. I have not heard any reason why I would give up the airplane so far...So who is it that is going to populate this HSR?

Old 08-14-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Ohh Really...you watch the price move around? Which CA HSR are you referring to as a reference?

Really? Which CA HSR are you referring to? And how do you account for the rental car at the other end?

Yes I admit I too am skeptical. But perhaps you could cite the CA experience with HSR that leads to your view?

Gee I would like to join you at the CA HSR site where reality can be seen and touched. And where we see the economics on HSR really work.

His claim is that it costs to much...which appears to be the case in the CA line...and is too slow. You argue that it is in fact HSR is economically cheaper than many alternatives...but you say nothing about too slow. I commuted back and forth between LA and SF or SJ more than once a week for 15 years. I have not heard any reason why I would give up the airplane so far...So who is it that is going to populate this HSR?

You obviously have no clue what HSR is or how it works. Look it up on Google and get back to me.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
You obviously have no clue what HSR is or how it works. Look it up on Google and get back to me.
True of so many of you. Challenged you run behind the shed and hide.

Does that not embarrass you at least a little?

Old 08-14-2013, 11:51 PM

642 posts, read 1,114,039 times
In Europe it's often quite a bit cheaper to fly than it is to take their HSR. I'm not sure if it would end up the same here in the US, but based on prices of the existing trains here, I wouldn't be surprised.

I'd like to think that this idea is feasible, but at this point it's hard to tell. I'm sure a lot of people thought the idea of boarding a tube in LA and arriving in NYC only 5 hours a later was impossible, but yet here we are...

Old 08-15-2013, 12:07 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,465,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
In Europe it's often quite a bit cheaper to fly than it is to take their HSR. I'm not sure if it would end up the same here in the US, but based on prices of the existing trains here, I wouldn't be surprised.

I'd like to think that this idea is feasible, but at this point it's hard to tell. I'm sure a lot of people thought the idea of boarding a tube in LA and arriving in NYC only 5 hours a later was impossible, but yet here we are...
...100 years and hundreds of billions spent later.

By that line, yes, Hyperloop is technically feasible, though the context faced by Hyperloop in 2013 is different from aircraft travel in, say, 1940. Different comfort and safety standards and wildly different costs. So, the incrementalism of the airline industry may not be possible for Hyperloop, which would have to start at the bar that the airline industry spent a century to reach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning