Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 15,843 times

Advertisements

I know that the Salt Lake City area is mostly mormons. I have nothing against mormons, I just am familiar with the missionary around Salt Lake City. I have a few questions. I am a senior graduating and am looking to move to Provo, Utah. What is the weather like year round? Is there a lot of oppurtunity as far as jobs because I will need to find a job before I move? How expensive is housing and apartments. I will most likely rent an apartment. Also, what neighborhoods are good and bad in Provo. I mean, what part of town has a high crime rate. I am pretty sure that the crime rate in Provo is very low compared to other places. By the way, I have a BA in Business Administration as far as finding a career. What occupations are available?

Thank you very much for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 04:08 PM

550 posts, read 2,168,242 times
If I were you, I would avoid Utah County (Provo and suburbs) and look into Salt Lake County and north (Salt Lake City and suburbs, Bountiful, Layton, Ogden, etc). If the Provo area isn't necessary I definitely recommend you look into Salt Lake instead.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 15,843 times
Why should I avoid Utah county and surrounding suburbs?

Old 01-12-2009, 07:15 AM

153 posts, read 563,671 times
Some people actually like living in Utah County. I dont mind it (I dont love it) (not a mormon and I'm a liberalish democrat, 28 year old female, in school and work.)...and I do just fine. Not everyone who moves to Utah should automatically go to the SL area. Not everyone in Utah County is all Molly mormon. It isnt for everyone, just like any place. So go where you want to go.

The summers are hot, usually in the 90's with a week or so above 100. It's sunny a lot, we dont have a lot of rain. We dont have much of a spring or fall, we go from winter to summer pretty quickly (and summer to winter). Winters are cold, but some years it's colder than others. Expect single digits (occasional negatives) and teens, but also expect 30's and 40's.

I personally have never had a problem finding a job. But, the times have changed and I havent been looking for one in about 9 months, so I dont know how it is now. But in my opinion, there's always going to be a transitioning job available somewhere (pay isnt that great, but will be enough to support yourself) so you dont starve, so you can keep afloat until a better job can be found.

Good luck, it's not a difficult place to live, unless you're my husband haha. he hates it here, but he's from NYC and anything outside of NYC isnt good enough

Old 01-12-2009, 07:22 AM

oh and as far as living...I'd avoid south provo probably (since you did specify provo as your target place). The nicest area is probably the east side, near the mountains, but it's also the heart of the zoo (BYU). I'd suggest Orem to live. I like Orem. It's close to everything and is relatively nice (with it's icky parts too, but every city has them). I think Pleasant Grove/Lindon are nice too, matter of fact, Northern Utah county has really boomed in the past few years. South county has been pretty stagnent.

You can rent a 2 bedroom apartment from as low as $550 all the way up to $1000+, just depends on what you're looking for. But for a nice place, expect around $700ish min.

But it all depends on who you are and what you're seeking as far as lifestyle goes. What part of town, which place to live, etc is right for one person, isnt right for another.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:17 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
I lived in Orem 21 years and couldn't wait to leave. I encountered too many narrow minded, judgemental people there. I hope you have better luck fitting in.

Just curious, why'd you choose Provo?

Old 01-13-2009, 04:18 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgj19 View Post
Why should I avoid Utah county and surrounding suburbs?
It is much more Mormon than SLC area. I have nothing against Mormons & the ones I've met have been great, but there is enough of an influence up here as it is. I think MOST non LDS people are more comfortable living where they are less out numbered.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:52 PM

4 posts, read 26,417 times
Default moving to Provo

I lived and worked in Provo for about 5 years back in the '80s, and it was honestly the most competitive job market I have yet to deal with......Utah County is full of people who are over-educated for their job description. There is a large number of BYU grads, who love Provo and don't want to leave after graduation. There are people with MBA's taking $35-50K jobs, just to stay put. The BYU and UVU students take most of the part-time jobs, and the high schoolers are left with the dregs (minimum wage at Jack in the Box). I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'd discourage you from moving out there, unless you have a job offer under your belt. It's a really nice place to live, so I can see why it is so popular.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:56 AM

That I agree with. The job market is a pain. While I dont think high schoolers really need to be out competing for jobs (they dont have families to support and usually are living at home with mom and dad), let them have the fast food positions. But it does get annoying when the college graduates settle for $9-10/hour jobs (seen it), while the people who arent in college/no degree, have a family and are lucky to get a job to support their family, barely! It's so annoying.

I've never had a problem finding a job...but I do know that some employers will opt for the BYU student/graduate vs a non student/other school graduate to hire, because they must be more honest, hard working and a better employee, based on that.

But just based on being around the people....you allow things to bother you...it doesnt bother me, it does get annoying, but again, I dont let it affect my quality of life. so it's not a big deal. (yet I am moving, but for my husbands sake lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah