Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 04:20 PM

4 posts, read 24,742 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move to Provo. I've been offered a job, and we're in the process of making a decision.

We are Christians, but not LDS. We don't dislike LDS, but there is 0% chance of our religious affiliation changing.

I occasionally smoke cigars and drink beer. Though I do neither with great frequency, I do enjoy both as occasional vices. I drink coffee pretty regularly, but I roast and brew my own, so that should be no problem.

My wife and I both enjoy outdoor activity, as well as the arts, music, and other "cultural" activities.

We're looking for a place that we can start a family. Utah seems like a wholesome place to do that.

We've both grown accustomed to an active lifestyle, and have lived around the world, some of our favorite places, in no particular order, are New Orleans, NYC, the south of France, London, Lisbon, Montana and west Texas. I'm sure we would continue to travel.

The cold winters are a deterring factor for us, but not insurmountable. Would we find social activities that weren't church related?

Would we fit in? Would we like it there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 04:40 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,669 times
As far as out door activites Utah is great.

My family and I lived in Utah County for 2 years and from our experiences I would caution you on living in there. I think Salt Lake County is better suited for Non-LDS people. This is just my opinion based on my experiences living in Saratoga Springs, others may think differently.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:31 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Well, even our regulars who are LDS caution against living in Utah Co and say they wouldn't do it.

There are areas such as Herriman that are not too far.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:53 PM

I'm used to a 45-60 minute commute. My understanding is that living around SLC and driving to Provo would fall in that range. Is that what would be recommended?

Anything else to be aware of about working in UT in general?

Old 10-24-2011, 09:30 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
I'm LDS and you couldn't pay me enough to live in Provo. Trust me (and the rest of us): Don't do it. You will not be happy. On the other hand, Salt Lake City might be an excellent fit for you.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:40 AM

313 posts, read 778,797 times
I think the suburbs between SLC and Provo are a good mix.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:00 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
I'm used to a 45-60 minute commute. My understanding is that living around SLC and driving to Provo would fall in that range. Is that what would be recommended?

Anything else to be aware of about working in UT in general?
You can commute from South Salt Lake County or even Central Salt Lake County to Provo in 45 minutes to an hour. In the winter, you may encounter some snow going over the the summit at the "Point of the Mountain" near Draper/Bluffdale. However, this is freeway (I-15) and UDOT gives it first priority in terms of keeping it plowed and open 24/7.

I am LDS and want to add my voice to those discouraging you from moving to Provo. I've talked to many people on and off this forum over the years. I would never seriously considering moving my family there. The area is not diverse enough. This may change someday. However, its not there yet.

Do yourself a favor and move to Salt Lake County. The general rule of thumb is that the closer to Salt Lake City you live, the more diversity you'll encounter. However, even Draper or Herriman (in South Salt Lake County) would be better choices and likely to lead to a happier place to live.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:47 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
Catholic, grew up in Orem (one city north of Provo), lived there 21 years, moved to SL valley and it's a MUCH better fit here.

I also suggest not living in Utah county.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:46 AM

25,756 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Yeah, don't move to Utah County, there are already too many people here--every man, woman, and child religious fanatics, of course. I strongly discourage anyone from coming here. Now excuse me, I need to go hit a heathen who somehow found his way here over the head with a bible.

(note: just going along with the crowd here)

Old 10-25-2011, 10:53 AM

Thanks Guys!

You've probably saved us some serious headaches.

We'll start looking into Salt Lake County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah