Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 05:53 PM

23 posts, read 73,990 times

Advertisements

I've been offerred a job in Provo.

Problem: I'm a confirmed atheist married to a lapsed Buddhist. We like expensive dinners with plenty of fine wine, but also like scruffy dives with authentic Vietnamese, Mexican, Thai, Indian, etc food. We're a mixed race couple. Thrive on authentic Italian espresso. And generally enjoy life in big city. Both of us are politically left-wing, indeed, I count Planned Parenthood as one of the charities that I support. My wife loves her current job as an oilfield analyst and doubtful she'd get something equally high-paying in Utah. To make things worse, compared to the older religions like Christianity/Judaism/Islam/etc, I have a fairly low opinion of some of the more "modern" religions like LDS and Scientology.

I would be expected to stay in the job for about two years before getting a chance to leave.

Would we last that long....??

Old 02-28-2010, 05:58 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanTransplant View Post

Problem: I'm a confirmed atheist married to a lapsed Buddhist. We like expensive dinners with plenty of fine wine, but also like scruffy dives with authentic Vietnamese, Mexican, Thai, Indian, etc food. We're a mixed race couple. Thrive on authentic Italian espresso. And generally enjoy life in big city. Both of us are politically left-wing, indeed, I count Planned Parenthood as one of the charities that I support. My wife loves her current job as an oilfield analyst and doubtful she'd get something equally high-paying in Utah. To make things worse, compared to the older religions like Christianity/Judaism/Islam/etc, I have a fairly low opinion of some of the more "modern" religions like LDS and Scientology.

I would be expected to stay in the job for about two years before getting a chance to leave.
I doubt very much that you would. And even if you "lasted," you would probably be miserable the entire time. I think you probably already realize this or you wouldn't have even bothered to ask.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:10 PM

27 posts, read 255,424 times
Yes, you would be insane to move to Provo and miserable the entire time. I can't think of a place in the country that is more of a complete opposite to your interests/beliefs....then again, by your name it looks like you've spent time in texas which is quite conservative as well.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:27 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
The only way it would work would be to live in Salt Lake itself, not the suburbs, and commute.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:36 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
It all depends on how much you let outside things such as how people live their own lives bother you. If you can't stand the site of people going to church, not drinking, etc. then you would hate it. If you don't like overhearing people talk about church activities, seeing people have church get-togethers etc. then you would hate it.

If you are like me and you don't really care how people live as long as they aren’t harming me or my family, and you can search out your own fun, friends and activities, you would do fine.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:46 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
I don't like to give advice to people not to move because this can be misunderstood as being unfriendly. However, after reading your post its my decided opinion you probably shouldn't move. Political liberalism is virtually dead in Utah County (Provo area). Planned Parenthood is thought of as an evil "abortion promoting" organization (no joke). Most people are in church on Sunday and you'd probably have little in common with them. Some people I've met here literally don't believe there is such a thing as an "Atheist". Another didn't want her children exposed to one. Even the thirty percent of the state which is non-Mormon here tends to be more conservative than other groups outside the state are.

I think there are probably places in the country more hospitable to you and I would seek out those places. If you must make this move than my advice is work in Provo and commute from a home in Salt Lake County. That might be semi-endurable for you. I guarantee that if you move to Utah County with this set of beliefs that you are likely to be miserable and unhappy.

Sometimes its better to face the grim reality in the beginning and avoid a move that will make one unhappy and perhaps even bitter. I'd rather give this advice now than hear you complaining on this forum months from now about how unhappy you are about living in Utah County. Not every place in this country is for every person.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:03 AM

Thanks for the feedback(s). Re-reading my first post I think I'm not as bigoted as it comes across (to me) when I read it now.

But I think, yes, I would be unhappy. As you say, better to make the "tough" choice now and rather than going-with-the-flow and regretting it later. Especially when in my heart I know I would be heading into mistake.

I think I just needed a sounding board, to hear back what I knew already. I do appreciate this.

Regards,
p.s. Many urban parts of Texas are not particularly conservative, in Houston they just voted in a lesbian mayor and - and this is the cool bit - the issue was not even raised once during the campaign. But yes, then there's the rural bits...

Old 03-01-2010, 07:37 AM

139 posts, read 501,879 times
Default Yep, you'd be insane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanTransplant View Post

Where to start.......

Utah is a great state, incredible access to outdoor recreation...far better than anything you have in Texas (we lived in Austin for 6 years)...nice people, friendly neighborhoods, low crime, etc...all the stuff that makes living good.

However, if you are into big city life...Provo is not for you. It's suburbia without a doubt. It's family oriented and any where you go, you'll be surrounded by families with children. That's neither good nor bad...it just is.

It's ultra conservative. If you are registered Democrats, your presence will double the number of Democrats in Utah County. (slight exaggeration, but not much!)

Wages are incredibly low in Utah County. You have a population base there of over 60k college students between BYU and UVU that drive the wages down. So, for a job that may pay $60k in Texas, you'll be lucky to make $40k in Utah County...and the housing is considerably more expensive than anything you'd find in Texas.

However your biggest hurdle may be the attitude you expressed in your comment: "To make things worse, compared to the older religions like Christianity/Judaism/Islam/etc, I have a fairly low opinion of some of the more "modern" religions like LDS and Scientology"

That's really going to be pretty insulting to about 80% of the population of Utah County. Mormons believe they are Christians, and for you to already have a "low opinion" of their belief system would be like moving to El Paso and saying you have a "low opinion" of hispanic culture. I mean, what's the point of moving there then?

Utah has a lot of pros and a lot of cons, it's all relative to your expectations, however, given your expectations, I really don't think Provo would work for you...it's definately not for everyone.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:02 PM

I said "no" to the job, but now company has come back and proposed that I live in Salt Lake City and commute to Provo. Is that a reasonable commute?

It's pretty clear I have a lot to learn (sorry lisamike). I'm thinking of flying up this weekend.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
In SLC, I would recommend the Sugar House, Avenues, or Foothill areas. That would make a minimum of 45 min commute from Sugar House or Foothill, more like an hour from the Avenues.. Could be longer on bad days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah