Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 09:42 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,137,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
After I read the above story, I can say the same thing has happened to us, only I'm not mormon.

We have lived in Salt Lake for many years, then recently moved south. I can tell you that I have never been so shuned by my neighbors in all my life. They try to act nice, like nothing is wrong but it's only obvious when the whole neighborhood is having a party or get together and the only ones NOT invited is myfamily and the family down the street that isn't mormon. In fact I did talk to one of my neighbors about this and they said that I don't have the same morals and values as them, so they don't associate with us, and that our kids will be "outcasts". ( Direct statement )

Okay, first of all, what do you people think we are, that don't practice mormonism? We have morals and values, I teach my kids to be honest, hard working and respectful of others. I don't smoke, drink, or do anything that would harm my body or my childrens, so I don't understand, do you people have "better" values than the rest of the world?

What's funny is that they won't talk to us, but they always try and send your missionary's to our house, but they themselves can't talk to us. I will NEVER associate myself with anyone that is mormon, but I probably won't have to worry about that, because no one talkes to me anyway.

There are other reasons why people that aren't mormon don't talk to those who do, because you act like your better than everybody else. I have seen it first hand
My family moved to UT from the east coast 6 years ago. We had no previous experience/knowledge of mormons. My experience with them has been SO FABULOUS. Mine is one of 3 families in our neighborhood who are "non". All three of us are so included. We "fit in" perfectly. Another family keeps to themselves, occasionally socializing.

One family has addiction issues and the wife thinks the mormons are "out to get her", but I have seen them have their utility bill paid, food (both groceries and prepared dinners) brought to them, MANY MANY times, hundreds of hours of free babysitting, garbage cans brought up from the curb, their driveway shovelled, invited for Thanks/Christmas dinner.

People are people. From what I've seen (3 different neighborhoods I've lived in here) Utahns are generally hospitable and welcoming. Not every neighborhood is going to work as wonderfully as mine, but I have had good and bad neighbors in every state I've lived in.

Do you know you can ask the missionaries (nicely) not to come and they will?? I've told them that.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:43 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,804,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjflanders View Post
We have lived in Salt Lake for many years, then recently moved south. I can tell you that I have never been so shuned by my neighbors in all my life.
No surprise there. Mormons have a well documented history of shunning outsiders. What gets me is how they'll brag about service to the community, but if you really watch them, you'll notice that most only help the other people in their ward.

To get back on topic for this thread....When you're outside of Utah, you don't have to attach a letter of good standing from your bishop to your resume....unless of course, the hiring manager is LDS

Old 01-03-2008, 08:29 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,739,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
No surprise there. Mormons have a well documented history of shunning outsiders.
Well ... please do share your documentation then.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:39 AM

242 posts, read 1,118,426 times
Since this a religious oriented thread should it not be moved to the religion forum?

Old 01-03-2008, 08:46 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,527,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie-Rabbit View Post
Since this a religious oriented thread should it not be moved to the religion forum?
No, this was a parody regarding the dominant culture in Utah and how people react to it, both inside and outside of the state. Yes, the dominant culture is a religion, but such fact does not make this thread religious.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Well ... please do share your documentation then.
The church documented it thoroughly enough.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:38 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,739,131 times
Quote:
Hmm ... not cutting it for me.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Hmm ... not cutting it for me.
google it yourself

"mormons refused"+supplies

Back to the topic....People outside of Utah find the whole idea of garments funny

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 01-03-2008 at 11:59 AM..

Old 01-03-2008, 12:12 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,527,348 times
Quote:
google it yourself

"mormons refused"+supplies
I did. It gave me three or four notations regarding the Mormon's refusal to supply military units that were sent to destroy them. I can see that. I mean after all, who would give a gun to a homicidal maniac?

Try googling "LDS relief efforts." I wonder whether the millions of folks who have received supplies from the LDS over the years think garments are funny?

Oh, I almost forgot; Is Google found in the Official History of the LDS Church????? I bet them Mormons own Google just like they own Coca Cola and Las
Vegas.

Quote:

Last edited by SergeantL; 01-03-2008 at 12:24 PM..

Old 01-03-2008, 12:23 PM

If you do a bit more reading, you'll note that they also refused to resupply immigrants traveling to the west coast on the orders of church officials. Many died on their journey as a result.

Back to the topic at hand...if you ever admit to wearing garments 'under' your bra, anybody outside of Utah will think its hilarious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah