Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 908 times

Advertisements

People live via transportation. Watched an ambulance with an injured person in back, sirens screaming, get caught today trying to cross the bridge - they ended up turning around to try another route or another hospital. I wonder how many people die each year on the quaint notion that living pre-1950 is somehow better than living post-1950?

Having a few signs wouldn't hurt either!!!!

Not sure what you're talking about with Vancouver's city planners. Vancouver has no city planners!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 434 times
majority of ppl here seem to be anti-highways. But there should be a minimum mileage of freeways for a city and Vancouver just doesnt seem to have that minimum (compared to Seattle for example, its evident!). And Yes we cant only rely on highways we will need subway/skytrain expqnsion.
plus, who honestly doesnt like transportation systems in southern California or Texas! lets not delude ourselves with the idea of "some better method of transportation than freeways will be invented or implemented". rezoning for More Freeways is vital for the future of this city.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:58 AM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
You revived an oldie. I'm pretty sure the debate has been settled, there aren't any freeways going to be built through the city, and it's been that way for the past 50 years. My only beef about this is the existing freeways (TCH 1 and 99) aren't connected on the outskirts, so if you're coming from the south (WA/Seattle) and you want to get to the North Shore or Sea to Sky Hwy, it can be a royal PITA. The approaches to the Lion's Gate Bridge are antiquated and awful. If there were a freeway bypass or connector to get to TCH 1 from 99 from the border area, it would be a much better setup. Hwy 99 sends people through the city when it should have bypassed Vancouver entirely.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:32 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,696,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
You revived an oldie. I'm pretty sure the debate has been settled, there aren't any freeways going to be built through the city, and it's been that way for the past 50 years. My only beef about this is the existing freeways (TCH 1 and 99) aren't connected on the outskirts, so if you're coming from the south (WA/Seattle) and you want to get to the North Shore or Sea to Sky Hwy, it can be a royal PITA. The approaches to the Lion's Gate Bridge are antiquated and awful. If there were a freeway bypass or connector to get to TCH 1 from 99 from the border area, it would be a much better setup. Hwy 99 sends people through the city when it should have bypassed Vancouver entirely.
If you are coming up Highway 99 from the south, you can take highway 17 which links to Highway 1 in Surrey to the east of Vancouver which acts as a kind of bypass. I agree it is a bit out of the way if you are going to the North Shore but you won't have to drive through Vancouver city streets.

Last edited by deneb78; 02-24-2019 at 09:52 AM..

Old 02-24-2019, 10:17 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,268,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Agree about Lion’s Gate Bridge....it was built back in the 1930s...so I’ll cut them some slack...
but 3 lanes is not enough....should be 6 lanes or more....

San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge was also built in the 1930s but they had the foresight
to make it wide enough for 6 lanes...

USA is best for highways...lanes, lanes, lanes.....
in Canada most highways don’t have enough lanes.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:29 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Agree about Lion’s Gate Bridge....it was built back in the 1930s...so I’ll cut them some slack...
but 3 lanes is not enough....should be 6 lanes or more....

San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge was also built in the 1930s but they had the foresight
to make it wide enough for 6 lanes...

USA is best for highways...lanes, lanes, lanes.....
in Canada most highways don’t have enough lanes.
Lions Gate Bridge was built by the Guinness family so that people could get to their new development, The British Properties.

It was originally just 2 lanes. They then made that into 3 lanes with the centre one alternating. They were very narrow and there was no protection from falling into traffic on the narrow metal sidewalks. In 2000 they widened the bridge, still 3 lanes but not as narrow.

They also widened the causeway through Stanley Park slightly. This caused a lot of protest since they were encroaching further into to this almost sacred park.

The bridge is under the provincial government, but any change involves also the City of Vancouver, the parks board and Translink.

Besides having a much smaller population than San Francisco at the time, my guess the reason they didn't foresee needing a bigger bridge, is that even in the 1930's, the north shore was very unpopulated, and even the Sea to Sky highway did not exist. It was a dirt road, and wasn't paved until 1966.

I have a photo of my father and aunt, standing in front of their house in West Vancouver in the 1930's. They are planting vegetables in what is now Marine Drive.

There is talk about a new bridge, and turning Lions Gate into a bike and pedestrian bridge only, by 2030 BUT this will only happen they say, if a new crossing is made. Not sure where they will put that....

Personally an tunnel, with room for the Skytrain, , would be better. Expensive, but better.

Last edited by Natnasci; 02-24-2019 at 01:58 PM..

Old 02-24-2019, 01:42 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
If you are coming up Highway 99 from the south, you can take highway 17 which links to Highway 1 in Surrey to the east of Vancouver which acts as a kind of bypass. I agree it is a bit out of the way if you are going to the North Shore but you won't have to drive through Vancouver city streets.
That is an option, but lately even the Second Narrows bridge gets backed up during rush hours. The widening of Highway 1 only helped for a bit. Now it's full again. Just like they predicted, and that's why I'm not really a fan of building more highways. They just fill up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver